• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur v Rennes *** *POSTPONED*

As I said above, if we have 15 players they can do a [negative] PCR Test, remain in a bubble and play the game tomorrow. Easy.

Semantics at play here? 'Annulation du match' means cancellation of the match. OK.

Is that a gap in translation from 'postponement' or 're-scheduling' of the match?

It also speaks to a certain level of desperation from Rennes to be declared winner of this, ahem, prestigious group. Seriously, if it's a walkover for Rennes, bon debarras a la poubelle de la ligue conference.

Ha ha ha. Could there be a less credible combination of sources?

The incompetent Al Gold quoting malicious gooner C. Eccleshair, who routinely takes the tinkle on Spurs with his mischievous coverage.
It's hardly a 'source' if someone is merely looking at the wording of an official statement.
Just because you don't like some people, does not mean that what they say can be dismissed

Well, yeah, my sparkly unicorn, they can.

Lahn Football is hardly a credible source. They're mostly an on-line aggregator of information - just recyclers - briskly efficient, I'll grant you - of info published elsewhere. What club in their right mind actually shares insight with the staff of this sort of digital fishwrap? It's lightyears away from the credibility of the Times, the Guardian or the Arseletic.

But on that note, the Arseletic's Chucky Eccleshair is an absolute gooner taco of the highest order. Might be a good chap down the pub and all, but a lifelong gooner taco. Grew sick of his serial bullschit on Spurs over many years at the Telegraph. When I raised objections to his presence on the Spurs beat, the Arseletic oozed assurances he was OK there because his editor (Alex Jelski-Kay or summit suchlike) was a Spurs fan. They've clearly fallen asleep at the wheel. Oh, there might be more factual substance but the mere presence of him on their Spurs beat is why I don't subscribe anymore.

In neither instance would I rest any confidence on what they have to say about Spurs.

We dont really know how the club feel with regards to this competition. Looking at some of the performances so far, you wonder at times if we are actually trying to qualify in this.
Possibly, we might be hoping we are forced to forfeit so we dont qualify. May well depend on what happens in the other game tonight. As its stands we could go out win 1-0 or 2-1 and still not go through anyway.

If UEFA have a cut off date to have it 'boxed off' we may not even get a chance to rearrange it anyway, as we play midweek through to early Jan, possibly further if we beat West Ham in the LC

We dont really know how the club feel with regards to this competition. Looking at some of the performances so far, you wonder at times if we are actually trying to qualify in this.
Possibly, we might be hoping we are forced to forfeit so we dont qualify. May well depend on what happens in the other game tonight. As its stands we could go out win 1-0 or 2-1 and still not go through anyway.

If UEFA have a cut off date to have it 'boxed off' we may not even get a chance to rearrange it anyway, as we play midweek through to early Jan, possibly further if we beat West Ham in the LC

Quite likely that the club would have handled this differently if this was the CL instead, no way of knowing.

Either way I'm happy with this decision by the club. Said the same yesterday, but to keep training, preparing started to look irresponsible, never mind actually playing the game.

UEFA taking their sweet time, perhaps even sticking to regulations. Not sure if those were put in place before or after Covid, but either way those regulations doesn't line up with properly handling a local fairly large snake outbreak of a global pandemic like this.

Club doing the right thing, can only applaud that. Though the actual motivations might be difficult to know.

Is it significant that the Vitesse game goes ahead ?. Final group games being played concurrently to prevent collusion, although comms nowadays make it possible anyway.

To maintain the supposed anti-collusion element, the Vitesse game would also be postponed. I appreciate that domestic fixtures vary so it is difficult.

Personally, I believe UEFA allowing them to play means they've banked the 'Spurs eliminated' option and we would only fight such a decision to prevent it being a precedent.

But what do I know?. I can't even name my favouri ..... (cont game 94)

Is it significant that the Vitesse game goes ahead ?. Final group games being played concurrently to prevent collusion, although comms nowadays make it possible anyway.

To maintain the supposed anti-collusion element, the Vitesse game would also be postponed. I appreciate that domestic fixtures vary so it is difficult.

Personally, I believe UEFA allowing them to play means they've banked the 'Spurs eliminated' option and we would only fight such a decision to prevent it being a precedent.

But what do I know?. I can't even name my favouri ..... (cont game 94)

I take a different view, I don’t think UEFA would want us out for the comp, it has very little interest as it is - kicking out one of the main draws to it would kill off a large amount of that interest - Same with any of the bigger clubs in it.

they want us to get through, I wouldn’t be shocked if they extended the deadline for the game to play.

Well, yeah, my sparkly unicorn, they can.

Lahn Football is hardly a credible source. They're mostly an on-line aggregator of information - just recyclers - briskly efficient, I'll grant you - of info published elsewhere. What club in their right mind actually shares insight with the staff of this sort of digital fishwrap? It's lightyears away from the credibility of the Times, the Guardian or the Arseletic.

But on that note, the Arseletic's Chucky Eccleshair is an absolute gooner taco of the highest order. Might be a good chap down the pub and all, but a lifelong gooner taco. Grew sick of his serial bullschit on Spurs over many years at the Telegraph. When I raised objections to his presence on the Spurs beat, the Arseletic oozed assurances he was OK there because his editor (Alex Jelski-Kay or summit suchlike) was a Spurs fan. They've clearly fallen asleep at the wheel. Oh, there might be more factual substance but the mere presence of him on their Spurs beat is why I don't subscribe anymore.

In neither instance would I rest any confidence on what they have to say about Spurs.

Maybe you misunderstand.
I totally take your Eccleshare misgivings and distrust of his opinions re our team.

But this is merely him having read the Spurs announcement and commented on the language used. That's it.
If (say) milo had posted that he'd noticed that the word 'postponement' wasn't used in the statement, you probably wouldn't have jumped down his throat and decried his opinion. (Though maybe if scara had posted, you might?)

It's not to say that the match won't be rescheduled, just that the phrasing was open to interpretation.

And regarding your opinion about Football.london, it's interesting then that their most recent story on this builds upon the new UEFA statement to say that they have heard directly from UEFA. Do you think they are lying about that?
https://www.football.london/tottenh...s/uefa-release-short-sharp-statement-22408842

I take a different view, I don’t think UEFA would want us out for the comp, it has very little interest as it is - kicking out one of the main draws to it would kill off a large amount of that interest - Same with any of the bigger clubs in it.

they want us to get through, I wouldn’t be shocked if they extended the deadline for the game to play.

You only need to see the reaction of mura and vitesse players when they played us to understand the glamour of playing spurs brings to the tournament.

Nice. I still reckon we can win this tournament if we go through.

We can but due to the massive backlog of fixtures, domestic cups etc, we will more than ever before have to send out second string sides.

Our second string is evidently absolutely brick so we will get knocked out. Of course we could prioritise the conference and use our first team, which could well result in us winning it, but it will also mean any hopes of top 4 are absolutely gone and we would likely end around 10th in the PL.

Have a shot at top 4 or have a shot at winning the brick cup.

Take your pick!

If it’s an issue of personal safety then they made the right call postponing the game. If it’s just personnel, couldn’t they have just played the U15’s and get knocked out?

Presumably we would only be allowed to field the squad players that were registered for European games.

If it’s an issue of personal safety then they made the right call postponing the game. If it’s just personnel, couldn’t they have just played the U15’s and get knocked out?

Probably tells us it's either an issue of health and safety or the club isn't interested in just getting knocked out.

On a different note. Didn't have strong feelings about this at all, but right now I just want us to beat the ever living crap out of Rennes. I get that they're looking out for their best interests, would more or less expect us to do the same, but come on. Complaining about a postponement in these circumstances just makes me want us to crush their little petty selfish souls.

/rant

Back