• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project

Most PL teams play on desso I believe, not real grass.

Desso pitches are real grass for the most part. It's just that there are also shorter, plastic threads woven into the subsurface to help prevent big divots being torn out of the turf.

I wonder how the suggested level of compromise will square with the speech about the priority being "delivering the best possible match experience for Spurs fans," or whatever it was.

There's no reason why sharing with an NFL team should require an unsatisfactory compromise.

It would only require the front 5-10 rows of seating to be retractable.

That would provide the extra space for the large number of people on the sidelines in NFL games while also ensuring that the front row of seats would be high enough to have an uninterrupted view of the field of play.

Tottenham Hotspurs' secret plans for White Hart Lane mega stadium

24 October, 2013 | By Richard Waite

Populous, designers of the London Olympic Stadium, are drawing up multi-use proposals for a Tottenham Hotspur stadium that could also host American NFL games

Tottenham Hotspurs' secret plans for White Hart Lane mega stadium

2012 Olympic Stadium architect Populous has drawn up top secret plans for a mega-venue at White Hart Lane, home of the Spurs.

Tottenham Hotspur Football Club brought the practice in last month to re-think architect KSS’s already-consented £400 million, 56,000-seat stadium scheme for the north London site.

It is rumoured that new, top secret plans for the site include a retractable natural turf pitch, allowing the arena to be opened up for uses other than football – similar to that at the Arizona Cardinals’ home stadium in Phoenix, which was also jointly designed by Populous together with Eisenman Architects (pictured). The AJ believes the club wants to entice the National Football League to host American Football games in the stadium.

It is unclear how the proposals, which are understood to be taller than the existing stadium, would impact on the redevelopment of the area around the ground, which has been earmarked for 285 homes and a wider commercial development.

However the creation of a 75x100m glazed structure to house the retracted pitch south of the ground – thought to be part of Populous’s proposal – would mean the number of planned homes could shrink.

A spokesman for the club would not comment on the rumours, insisting Populous had only been formally appointed to ‘take forward the interior design for the fit-out of the stadium’ and to ‘conduct a peer review of the stadium design’.

He added: ‘[The club] has always seen the new stadium as being at the heart of the regeneration of the area and this process can be enhanced through future-proofing the design, as well as increasing the functionality of the stadium.

‘The club intends to continue to examine all options as it refines its plans.’

The first images of plans to revamp Spurs’ home date back to 2008. The club has worked on numerous options for the area around the ground as part of its Northumberland Development Project – initially using Make Architects (AJ 01.10.10).

In 2011 Spurs also looked at moving to the Olympic Stadium, which it intended to rebuild.

Meanwhile, it has emerged that Allies and Morrison has been appointed by Stanhope to draw up a masterplan for the Western side of Tottenham High Road, close to the ground.

The proposals move forward the wider masterplan for the riot-hit borough drafted by Arup for Haringey Borough Council and property developer Stuart Lipton.

Lipton was sceptical about the stadium rumours, saying that it would be hard to build much bigger, given the plot size and the Sainsbury’s supermarket that is currently under construction next door.

Populous declined to comment.

http://m.architectsjournal.co.uk/8654598.article
The pitch outside the Phoenix stadium:

800px-University_of_Phoenix_Stadium_field_01.jpg

wikipedia said:
University of Phoenix Stadium, opened August 1, 2006, is a multipurpose football stadium located in Glendale, Arizona. It is the home of the Arizona Cardinals of the National Football League (NFL) and ... features the first fully retractable natural grass playing surface built in the United States on top of an AirField Systems drainage system. An opening on one side of the stadium allows the playing field to move to the exterior of the building, allowing the entire natural turf playing surface to be exposed to daylight.

There is one consistent thing to the recent stories: a "higher" stadium.

"Higher" was mentioned in KSS's email on SSC a week or two back. Which might be dismissed as rumour except that jts1882's article above says Populus worked on the Arizona stadium - which does indeed have high stands and the retractable pitch:

All this gives that part of the rumour a bit of credibility to me.

Translating those concepts into soccerball it makes me think what they are looking at an interior that's more like the Allianz or Amsterdam Arena's, both of which are "high stand" stadia rather than bowls:

That looks a fundamentally different approach to a Emirates, Ethiad or Aviva style bowl, although, I am open to correction on that. But to my eyes they look conceptually a bit different.

The height of a stadium is only incidentally related to its shape.

You can have a high, bowl shaped stadium or a low, traditionally English stadium.

Assuming that both the pitch and the front row of seats are at ground level, then the height of the stands is determined principally by the rake and capacity of each of the tiers. Upper tiers have to be steeper than lower tiers, so a stadium with a small capacity lower tier and large capacity upper tier will be higher than a same capacity stadium with large capacity lower tier and small capacity upper tier.

Other potential determining factors are:

- the distance between the pitch and the stands. The further the distance, the greater the number of seats in the front row and, therefore, subsequent rows. Meaning that less rows are required overall.

- how big each of the seats is and how tightly the rows are spaced.

- whether or not the upper tiers have large overhangs above the tiers below them.

Last edited:

I suppose one of the main problems with a retractable pitch is its exit point. It would travel under a stand and that means the construction of the stand itself is that much more complicated. What holds the stand up??? An entire stand sitting on effectively a bridge must be an engineering nightmare.

So we're going for an Allianz Arena type stadium with a single tier at one end and a retractable pitch with a capacity maybe north of 60k. I can't wait to see it.

I suppose one of the main problems with a retractable pitch is its exit point. It would travel under a stand and that means the construction of the stand itself is that much more complicated. What holds the stand up??? An entire stand sitting on effectively a bridge must be an engineering nightmare.

So we're going for an Allianz Arena type stadium with a single tier at one end and a retractable pitch with a capacity maybe north of 60k. I can't wait to see it.

That sort of capacity for football could threaten to turn it into a buyers' market for tickets for our fans, and I don't think Levy has that in mind at all. Keirle's email, talking about 65000 "in NFL mode" would appear to imply that the intention is for the design to be reconfigurable to a lower capacity for football, in order to maintain prices.

retractable pitch
extendable capacity and
retractable roof

....we should call it the "transformer stadium".

retractable pitch
extendable capacity and
retractable roof

....we should call it the "transformer stadium".

MEGA Lane.

Looking at the interior view of Dallas Cowboys stadium, you can see one of the silliest design elements put into a recent stadium - the field level suites. Fans pay higher prices to spend the entire game looking at the backsides of sideline personnel. Might work for Spurs games. Some MLS clubs sell sideline tables and seats - with dedicated food and drink service - at premium prices and do quite well.

As sexy as the Dallas stadium looks in that interior view, I have friends who went to watch Super Bowl XLV there and said the upper level seats are terrible. Too far from the action to feel any connection. They spent much of their time there watching the massive media board(60 yards long!) instead of the live action. The lower bowl is no picnic either as the seats are sloped at such a shallow angle that fans in front can easily block the view.

On the other hand, Phoenix look like they have a decent design, but that gaping space in one end kind of works against what Spurs are looking to achieve with a Kop end.

That sort of capacity for football could threaten to turn it into a buyers' market for tickets for our fans, and I don't think Levy has that in mind at all. Keirle's email, talking about 65000 "in NFL mode" would appear to imply that the intention is for the design to be reconfigurable to a lower capacity for football, in order to maintain prices.

More likely to be the other way round.

Capacity for NFL games will be more limited because of the added pitch level space required and the necessity for the front row of seats to be 5 or 6 feet above the field of play.

Spurs could, I suppose, artificially limit the availability of tickets for Spurs games. But a 65K capacity for NFL games should allow for a potential capacity of 70K for Premier League games.

what happens when NFL doesn't take off in London?

You have to assume Levy will have a "worst case scenario" worked out that includes the chance (likelihood) of NFL not being a big thing. No way he'd bet the financial viability of the entire project on NFL being a hit in London.

what happens when NFL doesn't take off in London?

We are left with a stadium without any sharing. As long as its only costs of building that are shared then there is no problem. I assume Levy would negotiate a deal where we were protected.

On the other hand, any deal with the NFL will give them rights over some revenues (part of naming rights, etc). If they walk away, Spurs could have more control.

Back