• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

I believe that one of the alternatives to the method used at Dortmund was that each row ( Between the metal bars show on the video ) there would be two steps. In seating mode the chair covers the first step and your fit go in the front step. But in Standing mode two people can stand on each step in the allocated area.

That said. With the way that our stadiums have been constructed, and the limited room between seats. There is not enough space for the two step approach. Even them building the stadium to allow for safe standing they will not want to put less seats in to leave more space just in case. So I think any safe standing that comes in to the UK will 100% be a spot for one person. Basically the same as now but with the seats up and a bar to lean on.

Right now I'd take that, I'm one of those people who have been brought up with seats and have never known a standing area. That's why when I was going regularly I would always try to make sure my seat was in the Park Lane end. Standing makes for a much better atmosphere and I can't see any reaosn why there shouldn't be standing areas for those that want to stand and seated areas for those who want to sit. That way it also avoids those who won't stand or more importantly can't stand having there match experience ruined by those that do.

There's so much common sense and statistics in favour of safe standing that it beggars belief.

How did people get in and out when it was standing. That was a pure crush at times. Or at a gig when you want to go to the loo. People will move.
You know when someone gets up from the middle seat of a row, and everyone has to stand so they can get out? Now imagine that with another person stood in front of the person standing up!

I imagine that would be akin to building an extension on your house before getting the planning permission

Yes, but they wouldn't have a leg to stand on as I would take it straight to European courts. Saying that it might be interesting to research it and maybe write to the correct department in Brussels to see and check whether stadia legislation in Brussels/Europe does indeed superceed our own at home.

I've been going to football for over 60 years and can assure people that standing in a large crowd when they avalanche downwards is terrifying and extremely dangerous. I'm sure stadiums are better designed and have higher safety standards nowadays, but now with relaxed drinking laws macarons can now drink themselves senseless or to a level where they behave recklessly before attending games and I can only see more disasters. It's a pity but the minority always spoil it for the majority of sane people out there.

Fortunately safe standing would not bring a repeat of this. and if people tried, they would could be pinpointed straight away and chucked out because any such section would almost definitely be season ticket only, not forgetting state of the art cctv in the new stadium.

But we're talking football.

It's not football that is stopping this it is politics. What we need to think about is how many votes are there in allowing standing and how many votes could be lost if you were the government that introduced standing and this was followed by an incident?

I've been going to football for over 60 years and can assure people that standing in a large crowd when they avalanche downwards is terrifying and extremely dangerous. I'm sure stadiums are better designed and have higher safety standards nowadays, but now with relaxed drinking laws macarons can now drink themselves senseless or to a level where they behave recklessly before attending games and I can only see more disasters. It's a pity but the minority always spoil it for the majority of sane people out there.

Well in my 60+ years of going I don't ever recall being particularly alarmed at downward avalanches, they were very common and you simply went with the flow. In fact I used to enjoy it, you knew how to look after yourself and it was much more fun than nowadays with the irritation of having to rise from your seat and make yourself small every time someone arrives late or wants to go to the loo just as a goal is being scored.

I can recall only two occasions I felt seriously threatened by the intensity of the crush on the terraces, occasions when you struggled to breathe and your feet were practically off the ground. The first was a local derby at Highbury in the late fifties when with more than 67,000 packed inside the gates should really have been closed once it got to around 60k.

The other was an incredible crush at WHL vs Everton in the 80s when many in the 48,000 were panicking and screaming. But the real reason that latter occasion was a problem was because it was a time when as well as being fenced off from the pitch the terraces were also penned into sections. The intention was to prevent opposing sets of fans from marauding and rampaging from one end of the ground to the other; prior to that there had been no restriction. Sadly as we know only too well from Hillsborough it was the misguided idea of fencing coupled with a lack of proper control over the number of admissions that ended up creating the most terrifying problem of all.

I strongly believe that with adequate crush barriers and sensible management of numbers terracing is every bit as safe as seating. I also remain equally convinced - for the reasons milo states - that I'll be pushing up the daisies long before terracing is reintroduced into the top tier of footy in this country.

Last edited:
One thing we should bear in mind is that the incentive to introduce safe standing is lower for the clubs with larger stadia. United and Arsenal have an advantage due to large stadia and large demand. Why would clubs going to the trouble and expense of building bigger stadia back any safe standing scheme that would allow others to increase capacity and possibly reduce demand at their own new stadia.

So when we hear clubs offering verbal support to safe standing, we should perhaps be slightly sceptical.

^ the money made from a slight increase in capacity by switching to safe standing is negligible id have thought - Sponsorship, TV revenue, European prize money and corporate hospitality is what sets clubs apart

Standing on an open terrace with no barriers/rails and no proper counting of numbers of fans and avalanches of fans down 10 steps is COMPLETELY different to rail seats with allocated tickets/ numbers allowed in.

From skyscrapercity: sale of Brook House and mock-up of the proposed Tottenham Hotspur Station.

sideways91;125577273 said:
So, Spurs have sold the Brook House school (on the old Cannon Rubber site) to add a further £11m to the coffers from enabling development.

Looking for some details I stumbled across a sales document from the agent, and couldn't help notice an image for 'Tottenham Hotspur Station'.

Don't recall seeing it before. Interesting.

http://www.lshinvestmentsales.co.uk... - Property brochures (192) - Brook House.PDF
Wine Gum;125577709 said:
tottenhamhotspurstation_zps1nopjnsv.jpg

Back