• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Just thinking about how much money West Ham could actually be missing out on by not owning the stadium..

Athletics Events - not that much money to be made here?
Concerts - I believe the Olympic Stadium hasn't currently got a music licence, but the stadium doesn't seem to be in an immediately residential area and wouldn't it be Newham who decides if they get one? Basically for 4-6 weeks every summer Newham could have a string of concerts and make mega dollar?
Rugby World Cup - Didn't realise a few games from the 2015 rugby world cup will be played in the Olympic Stadium.. I guess we'll get to see how good it is as a sporting venue in October.

If we want to host concerts at new WHL we'd be competing directly with Wembley, The Emirates, The Olympic Stadium and Twickenham. I'd suggest they also all have better transport links than us. Plus WHL is in a residential area, which would limit the amount of times a year we could host a concert.

If New WHL had world-class NFL facilities though... $$$

The Emirates is used a lot for hosting conferences and corporate events. I am sure that the Olympic stadium will be used for this a lot too but West Ham will not get any income from this.

The naming rights and sponsorship deals will also be worth a fair bit but they do not get any of this either.

The main problem I'd foresee with an NFL link would be the pitch getting fudgeed up which is the last thing we'd want, are there any stadiums in the US that regularly hold NFL games as well as an MLS team? It's an interesting idea

it's only 8 games

I don't think there are any shares at the minute, but thats probably more because they can afford individual stadiums rather than pitch issues

sre
The main problem I'd foresee with an NFL link would be the pitch getting fudgeed up which is the last thing we'd want, are there any stadiums in the US that regularly hold NFL games as well as an MLS team? It's an interesting idea

Qwest Field, Seattle - MLS Sounders and NFL Seahawks - Artificial turf. The Sounders are not thrilled with it and are looking at building their own 60k stadium. Gridiron markings are an eyesore.

BC Place, Vancouver - MLS Whitecaps and Canadian Football League B.C. Lions - Artificial turf. The 'Caps have plans for their own stadium but share this dome in the short term to create the political goodwill needed to get city approval when they do begin building.

BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston - MLS Dynamo and college and high school gridiron - Real grass. Soccer fans not happy here, as elsewhere, about the sight of gridiron line markings cluttering up pitch, to say nothing of the lumps and bumps that form as the autumn shared seasons progress.

Possibly - BMO Field, Toronto - MLS Toronto FC and, possibly, CFL Toronto Argonauts - Real grass. Won't be a happy marriage. Soccer team does well at the gate, second highest average attendance in MLS. Stadium being expanded by 8,000 seats this winter to just over 30,000. Argonauts are destitute, unloved money losers being kicked out of the 50k dome they share with baseball's Blue Jays to allow a proper grass field to be installed. Crowds are like family and friends. No where else to play, no money to pay for anything.

With a possible Spurs-NFL share, there's huge amounts of money available to make a dual surface arrangement feasible. It will be important that both sports be able to present their fans the best possible product and the money, skill and will are there to achieve that.

If that happens, it would make the new MegaLane one of the most visible stadiums in the world with the two biggest leagues playing there.

Last edited:
I'd expect a retractable pitch situation. The astroturf the NFL use would be on the lower level, with the turf level being the retractable level above.

In terms of concerts etc, a retractable pitch would mean we could host events within 24 hours of the football with no damage to the pitch?

It's whether we'd have space to retract the turf pitch. It would be ideal if the pitch could go outside of the stadium for a decent amount of sunshine..

I probably haven't had enough sleep but what if the pitch went up? during an NFL game the pitch would become the roof? The roof of the stadium would have to be incredibly strong to allow this. In fact so strong that you may as well let fans walk all over the rest of the roof? The pitch would get all the sunlight it needs..

I'd expect a retractable pitch situation. The astroturf the NFL use would be on the lower level, with the turf level being the retractable level above.

In terms of concerts etc, a retractable pitch would mean we could host events within 24 hours of the football with no damage to the pitch?

It's whether we'd have space to retract the turf pitch. It would be ideal if the pitch could go outside of the stadium for a decent amount of sunshine..

I probably haven't had enough sleep but what if the pitch went up? during an NFL game the pitch would become the roof? The roof of the stadium would have to be incredibly strong to allow this. In fact so strong that you may as well let fans walk all over the rest of the roof? The pitch would get all the sunlight it needs..
Wouldn't that mean more posts in the way if our view? I fudging hate those posts.

What if it was done with steel cables? When it's time to 'raise the roof', sponsored by snickers, 4 or more steel cables would come down, get connected to the pitch and start winching it slowly up?

I think it's possible. No idea of the expense and engineering challenge it would present though.

What if it was done with steel cables? When it's time to 'raise the roof', sponsored by snickers, 4 or more steel cables would come down, get connected to the pitch and start winching it slowly up?

I think it's possible. No idea of the expense and engineering challenge it would present though.

Bet you had one of these when you were a kid:rolleyes:

2006AE7838.jpg

Comparison is difficult with the MLS/NFL link ups as the seasons don't intertwine.

MLS is effectively a summer sport in the US, whilst NFL is very much a winter sport.

NFL pitches seem to be amazing quality though, some of the weather conditions they play in are pretty horrific.

326206f0b326f7c010a864fa56eb7af3f04b94b5.jpg

This idea is about as awesome as it's completely unfeasible. I'm gonna go for slightly more awesome though ;)

This idea is about as awesome as it's completely unfeasible. I'm gonna go for slightly more awesome though ;)

I think the issue would be that there could be no central support. You could have 4 pillars pushing out from beneath the corner flags, but that's too much unsupported weight over the centre circle.

If the go with route, I imagine the two halves of the plastic NFL pitch would live under the east and west stands, and then just be slid out for matches

I think the issue would be that there could be no central support. You could have 4 pillars pushing out from beneath the corner flags, but that's too much unsupported weight over the centre circle.

If the go with route, I imagine the two halves of the plastic NFL pitch would live under the east and west stands, and then just be slid out for matches

I would think so too!

Advantage being that unlike Ajax (?) for example the plastic pitch wouldn't need to be outside in the open air/sun during "storage".

Still quite the engineering challenge I would imagine and something that would have to be planned before building actually starts to be implemented. I doubt the timing will line up correctly for this.

4 pillars pushing up from each corner flag. Drop down cables from a framework that drop down to varied places on the pitch.

I foresee no way this could go wrong. People are talking about a space elevator for fudges sake, how difficult could a pitch-elevator be... Just get it done Levy!

4 pillars pushing up from each corner flag. Drop down cables from a framework that drop down to varied places on the pitch.

I foresee no way this could go wrong. People are talking about a space elevator for fudges sake, how difficult could a pitch-elevator be... Just get it done Levy!

Are they? That sounds amazing!

Exactly, just another example of levy's unambitious thinking and penny pinching holding us back. Personally I'd like to hear dubai's thoughts on this..

Engineering it is easy. Proving that it's safe is another thing entirely.

I suspect that central support would be key, as mentioned. The way around that is a roof that curves (like a lower case r if you were looking at a cross-section) where the roof supports are telescopic or retract over themselves and slide out under the raised pitch.

Then the problem is an aesthetic one. I'm not an expert in growing living stuff but I don't think it's enough to just have a pitch-sized aperture in your roof, it's probably not big enough to keep the stadium bright or to look after the grass. So you'd end up with a roof that was covered over the outer edges of stands, then a gap, then a solid bit where the pitch had lifted up. You'd also have to play all matches under floodlights as the pitch would be blocking out light.

I suspect it could be done, but I also think it would have to have been planned from the start, not a modified version of an existing scheme.

Patience, patience.....................

031212_0731_TheCostofaS22.png

Back