• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

I still think we should give Sherwood a go. He is learning but we arent in a bad position. Everyone else has just outplayed us, yes we got spanked but LVG might not be what everyone thinks he will be.

Just need to give someone time FFS and not sack after a 4 or 5 bad games.

Plus he hasnt had his own signings and we are in transition, do we really want to go through that again?

Is it the same that I thought we were gonna do badly but never posted and then gave Tim a slap on the back post match for getting it right?

I still think we should give Sherwood a go. He is learning but we arent in a bad position. Everyone else has just outplayed us, yes we got spanked but LVG might not be what everyone thinks he will be.

Plus he hasnt had his own signings and we are in transition, do we really want to go through that again?
LVG is a managerial giant. He has the trophies, he has experience working with fantastic talents and big clubs, if there is a chance of getting him then i agree with GB it would be crazy not to give him a chance at the job.

LVG is a managerial giant. He has the trophies, he has experience working with fantastic talents and big clubs, if there is a chance of getting him then i agree with GB it would be crazy not to give him a chance at the job.

Well then get LVG in and keep Sherwood so he can learn off of him. I cant see Tim doidng anything other than managing now though.

I think the statement about a review in the summer is reasonable. Sherwood hasn't shown anything exceptional which would allow for an automatic one year extension. Only top 4 or perhaps a Uefa Cup win would see have seen that happen and the latter boat is all but sailed. I'd go further and make the position vacant and ask Sherwood to re-apply for his job. This would then allow other candidates to openly come forward without burning our bridges with the current manager. This could help avoid the shambles of 2012 where we get rid of our twice top 4, Champions League Quarter Finalist incumbent manager for some loser who had Chelsea in 6th and watched them go on and win the CL after he left. And even then, the other candidates were hardly outstanding compared to who we had (with the exception of Martinez - who might genuinely have been able to take us on from Redknapp). We would hope LVG is firmly interested but what if he isn't? I don't want to end up with another over hyped type like Pochettino, who has a patchy record at best. If we can't get LVG then better then devil you know until someone outstanding becomes available.

not a managerial win yesterday. Eriksen was simply nuts last night. What an effort! The two strikers were also good against a very bad defence. Also, Sunderland´s midfield was incredibly bad last night. Our CB´s gained some confidence after our 2nd goal and we seemed to be ok. The thing that worried me was how abysmal Paulinho, Chadli and Lennon were.

The context is very simple.

What percentage of the available Premier League points were won by these four Spurs managers (all the other managers we've had were less than 50%).

In fact, as Sherwood never had the luxury of having a pre-season to organise his squad, his achievement is even more noteworthy.

It has not context because its too small a sample size, statistically irrelevant (as another poster pointed out, it's like quoting the stats of a 1 or 2 game caretaker who won all his games and then painting him as greatest manager ever)

And if you are going to use statistics, why don't we go all the way (instead of cherry picking), i.e.

The stats you posted
The stats showing losing % (TS doesn't draw too much)
GD
All up stats including cups
All upstats including cup with loss %

OMT last night: Between 7pm to 8pm last night there were a dozen posters abusing the fukk out of Sherwood for his team selection and formation pre-match. Only ONE of those posters - DeanoAustin - has had the grace and courtesy to come back after the match and admit they got it wrong. Plenty of posters expressing pleasure at the result post match, but none of them so much as mentioning Sherwood or admitting they got it so wrong before KO.

Ratings Thread: It is customary to rate the coach in these threads. At time of writing, not one of the reviews even mentions Sherwood's name.

The point here isn't whether people got it right or wrong. The point is about bad faith. A lot of people can no longer claim to be calling what they see fairly, because when they had the chance to do so after the Sunderland game, they instead ran away from their dire predictions.

In fairness some people aren't pretending to be calling it objectively - Scara and GB are at least open about their mindless, cultish hatred for the guy come what may - but some of you are trying to pretend you're calling it objectively when in fact you are doing no such thing. If you were, there wouldn't be such deafening silence last night and today about Sherwood's performance last night.

Chancer, really not sure what you see that makes you defend TS so fervently, honestly you are the opposite end of Scara & GB.

Sherwood did get it wrong again with team selection imo

- For all his want to blood youngsters, we can't find anyone instead of Naughton/Rose? predictably our weak link again last night
- Way too open midfield on paper, Ade had to cover a lot of ground and act as the link with Eriksen to compensate for midfield last night.

The team actually played better than expected, Sunderland were dire (but you beat who is front of you), question could be asked, did the team play better because they know TS is going now?

Personally it was pleasant to not see us struggle mightily against a **** team, and actually kill the game off, but I still see nothing that justifies even considering TS for next season.

OMT last night: Between 7pm to 8pm last night there were a dozen posters abusing the fukk out of Sherwood for his team selection and formation pre-match. Only ONE of those posters - DeanoAustin - has had the grace and courtesy to come back after the match and admit they got it wrong. Plenty of posters expressing pleasure at the result post match, but none of them so much as mentioning Sherwood or admitting they got it so wrong before KO.

Ratings Thread: It is customary to rate the coach in these threads. At time of writing, not one of the reviews even mentions Sherwood's name.

The point here isn't whether people got it right or wrong. The point is about bad faith. A lot of people can no longer claim to be calling what they see fairly, because when they had the chance to do so after the Sunderland game, they instead ran away from their dire predictions.

In fairness some people aren't pretending to be calling it objectively - Scara and GB are at least open about their mindless, cultish hatred for the guy come what may - but some of you are trying to pretend you're calling it objectively when in fact you are doing no such thing. If you were, there wouldn't be such deafening silence last night and today about Sherwood's performance last night.

Hands up, I'm one of those, but that's only because I rarely bother rating the manager anyway. Maybe I should, but I'm usually focused mainly on the players.

I quite like Sherwood, just not yet convinced he has all the qualities to succeed. I fear his excessive rantings and injudicious quotes may be counterproductive with certain players, though tbf last night's performance strongly suggested otherwise. However, I have a sneaking suspicion it helped that Vertonghen was out injured. There was a refreshing togetherness and sense of purpose about the team last night that might not have been so strong had the Belgian been on the park. Especially following Chiriches' blooper. Just saying.

It has not context because its too small a sample size, statistically irrelevant (as another poster pointed out, it's like quoting the stats of a 1 or 2 game caretaker who won all his games and then painting him as greatest manager ever)

And if you are going to use statistics, why don't we go all the way (instead of cherry picking), i.e.

The stats you posted
GD

I don't see how the latter two would be reasonable comparisons? You'd be comparing games against the likes of Benfica, Arsenal and West Ham with the sub-Championship teams we've played in the Europa league group and qualifying in the past couple of years? Not cherry picking, it is just not comparing like for like. At least with premiership games over a certain period you're looking at a much more even spread against teams all in the same division.

I think at the very least Sherwood's points per game stats illustrate he isn't quite as hopeless as is suggested by some. The vast majority last summer regarded 1.89 points per game over 38 games as a good start for a new manager taking on a team who'd just finished 4th but had lost talent like VDV and Modric. Now we've got someone in charge on exactly the same points per game over 17 games, with no pre-season, with a team who had picked up just 15 points in the previous 11 games, who'd just been hammered 0-5 at home, who'd slide down to 7th and who've also lost talent the same as the previous year... yet he is so utterly terrible. That just doesn't square up.

not a managerial win yesterday. Eriksen was simply nuts last night. What an effort! The two strikers were also good against a very bad defence. Also, Sunderland´s midfield was incredibly bad last night. Our CB´s gained some confidence after our 2nd goal and we seemed to be ok. The thing that worried me was how abysmal Paulinho, Chadli and Lennon were.

We have a sh!t game and its the manager's fault, we have a good game and all of a sudden it's the players who have excelled. Have you not thought that the sh!t games could also be down to the players as well.

I'm no Sherwood fan but it amazes me that bad games are always Sherwood's fault and never the players but when we do well no credit is attrubuted to him.

Wuh?

The stats you posted
GD

how about comparing the first 17 or 18 PL games that each manager has had and seeing what percentages they throw up....a bit fairer??

978x.jpg

Doesn't look like Chris Ramsey has been in the army.

:ross:

Looks as though he's wondering why Ade keeps doing that looking-into-the-distance thing.

how about comparing the first 17 or 18 PL games that each manager has had and seeing what percentages they throw up....a bit fairer??

Well comparing with the last decade... I would guess Sherwood would be miles clear on that front with AVB/Jol pretty even and Redknapp last. But with very different circumstances in all cases. Redknapp had by far the toughest circumstance, for example. Don't think many would argue with that. Which is why points per game over very different eras doesn't tell us very much.

I don't see how the latter two would be reasonable comparisons? You'd be comparing games against the likes of Benfica, Arsenal and West Ham with the sub-Championship teams we've played in the Europa league group and qualifying in the past couple of years? Not cherry picking, it is just not comparing like for like. At least with premiership games over a certain period you're looking at a much more even spread against teams all in the same division.

I think at the very least Sherwood's points per game stats illustrate he isn't quite as hopeless as is suggested by some. The vast majority last summer regarded 1.89 points per game over 38 games as a good start for a new manager taking on a team who'd just finished 4th but had lost talent like VDV and Modric. Now we've got someone in charge on exactly the same points per game over 17 games, with no pre-season, with a team who had picked up just 15 points in the previous 11 games, who'd just been hammered 0-5 at home, who'd slide down to 7th and who've also lost talent the same as the previous year... yet he is so utterly terrible. That just doesn't square up.

Hahaha .. so funny, you prove my point

One set of stats that you want to use because it's aligned with your point is valid, but another isn't? put all and show ALL the games regardless of opponents.

Again, people want to pretend that all the players we bought are **** and AVB had exactly the same side, yet TS has had Ade (good call by him) and an obviously improved Eriksen.

The only thing you can use to truly measure TS is what you see with your own eyes, and what I see is a team that is not a sum of its parts, tactically naïve, generally unmotivated and struggles through almost every game.

Back