• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

If Tim Sherwood works out long term there is also a huge potential upside to his tenure ship: longevity.

I think AVB did his prospects of surviving the maulings no good at all by making public his various desires: participating in Dhaka Rally, managing in Brazil, publicly making noises about his friendship with the PSG owners and his intention to leave football early.

Harry Redknapp also did the same: openly flirting with England and his age was always going to be a factor in his long term employment potential. Neither manager gave you the feeling they were available for the long term.

Should Sherwood become a successful manager, we may have finally found someone who could potentially stay for 10-15 years. He is the perfect age, is someone who will definitely remain in football as long as possible and I can't see where else he would potentially move to. Cynics might say Arsenal, but I would counter that by saying it seems like he has built a power base, and forged a relationship with a Chairman, that gives him an incredible authority that in time could grow to the sort of influence wielded by the like of Ferguson and Wenger at their respective clubs.

If he went to another club he would be on a hiding to nothing like any other manager.

I see Spurs and Sherwood as a good match in another regard - as Sherwoods stature as a manger (hopefully) grows so should the club: new stadium, fruits of academy coming to (hopefully) bear fruit.

Spurs, Sherwood and youth could be a very exciting and organic shared growth and it could all work out very nicely indeed.

The above is all subjective, and we should have course sack Sherwood in may following a nose dive in form and be back to square one with a new chap in charge next season.

Seen in positive terms however, I think this could shape into different facets of Tottenham flourishing in unison. And that is what we have all been craving, since, well, as long as I can remember (1991 onwards).

On a separate point, namely his accent, I think it could be pivotal in our success. We are Tottenham, a London club, and I want as many London accents around us as possible. Why? Because having London running through the club is the best tonic to remedy our players being picked off by other clubs.

If we can bring London lads through into a London team with London mentality they may actually feel loyalty and stay: the Man Utd team that conquered all and sundry had a Manchester back bone. Ferguson was trying it again with lads like Cleverly and Welbeck. Liverpool have hung on during their periods of mediocrity because of 'Scouse loyalty' from players like Fowler, Gerrard and Carragher.

Modric was always going to leave, Suarez will leave. Gerrard stayed. Would Player X from Edmonton who has come through the academy and now plays in the top flight for a club located in one of the best cities in the world with a true London identity be less likely to leave than a croatian star? I belive so.

So in short, for me, the more ****neys the better. Also, i subscribe to the school of thought that Tim is a lot more progressive than he lets on anyway.

Top, top post AE. One of the best of the year to date.

And to those that object to TS' accent, I would say, shame on you.

Since when did this thread become a debate about social class.

Dont really care if my manager sounds like Morgan Freeman or Joe Pasquale.......Timmy's doing ok by me!!!

seeing it all from my Timmy 'rose tinted spectacles'.

Love it Nigeyman. The voice of sanity in such a morass of nonsensical delusionism.

Nigeyman for President.

What incredible, and myopic, snobbery! In fact, how sad! The avenues of company you have limited yourself to if you follow such a self-imposed dictate! I detect a certain hint of Dylan Moran-esque dryness, a verbal flourish of the dry-cracker tail if you will…let me ask you. Does someone with a Geordie accent automatically belong to a 'lower class'? At what point does 'accent' become of a 'class' which is commensurate with 'respect' as you deem it?

Quite frankly Sherwood can sound like Ian Beale on steroids as long as he shows his intelligence on the pitch and in the manager's office.

I wouldn't know about someone with a geordie accent, I don't know any. I do hear they've improved the area since I last had the misfortune of visiting though, so I assume there must have been some kind of gentrification. I which case I suspect many have dropped or at least softened their accents.

As for Sherwood, I've already mentioned that it's not his accent that bothers me (that was an incorrect assumption from someone else), it's the stupid **** he keeps saying that does.

I wouldn't know about someone with a geordie accent, I don't know any. I do hear they've improved the area since I last had the misfortune of visiting though, so I assume there must have been some kind of gentrification. I which case I suspect many have dropped or at least softened their accents.

As for Sherwood, I've already mentioned that it's not his accent that bothers me (that was an incorrect assumption from someone else), it's the stupid **** he keeps saying that does.

I don't see how what he says is an indication of his class though?

I went to Uni in Saudi Sportswashing Machine and have multiple working class Geordie friends who are now doing very well for themselves.

Please please, JUST judge him for what he actually DOES on the pitch. All the rest is just so much flummery.

I don't see how what he says is an indication of his class though?

Neither do I. It was neither my assertion nor my assumption. That's just a straw man someone else put up to aim their class hatred at.

I went to Uni in Saudi Sportswashing Machine and have multiple working class Geordie friends who are now doing very well for themselves.

Good for them. Not sure what that has to do with class though?

Please please, JUST judge him for what he actually DOES on the pitch. All the rest is just so much flummery.

That's fine if all we ever want to do is use hindsight. I want us to be a success in the future.

Had we hired a professional there would be a previous career upon which we could base the likelihood of his success. But we didn't, so we need to use alternatives, such as what he says.

So Sherwood has had 6 league games so far.
I wonder if we can now look and reflect a little before our next league, which of course is a biggie.

Points-wise Sherwood has done little wrong; 5 wins and one draw out of 6 is very VERY Good whichever way you look at it.

But performance-wise where do people think we are heading?

We clearly are creating more chances. Are they better chances, overall?

Is our method of playing now, a method that utilises the range of skills in our squad? Is it a method that will not lead us to late-season dips/burnout, as happened especially in 2010/11 and 2011/12?

Do we think we will be punching above our weight regularly in the games later this season against the PL/Top 4 challengers?

Will we beat Arsenal???!????

Neither do I. It was neither my assertion nor my assumption. That's just a straw man someone else put up to aim their class hatred at.

Good for them. Not sure what that has to do with class though?

Didn't read everything so fair enough on your first point.

On the second one I was referring to your point being unable to escape the class you are catagorised in.

That's fine if all we ever want to do is use hindsight. I want us to be a success in the future.

Had we hired a professional there would be a previous career upon which we could base the likelihood of his success. But we didn't, so we need to use alternatives, such as what he says.

You seem intent on judging a man by everything EXCEPT what he does on the pitch.

BTW, FYI TS IS a professional. He is being paid for what he does.

Didn't read everything so fair enough on your first point.

On the second one I was referring to your point being unable to escape the class you are catagorised in.

Earning money is not escaping class. As an example, no matter how well they do, they would never be welcome at the RAC.

I wonder if we can now look and reflect a little before our next league, which of course is a biggie.

Points-wise Sherwood has done little wrong; 5 wins and one draw out of 6 is very VERY Good whichever way you look at it.

Is our method of playing now, a method that utilises the range of skills in our squad? Is it a method that will not lead us to late-season dips/burnout, as happened especially in 2010/11 and 2011/12?

Do we think we will be punching above our weight regularly in the games later this season against the PL/Top 4 challengers?

Time for you too to give TS a chance. Do you KNOW for a stone cold fact whether or not he will be the answer, because surely at this stage no one can. What if he turns out to be our Cloughie? What then?

We can surely ALL agree that we have had an encouraging PL start under TS, no? Anyone disagree?

The time to JUDGE him is when he has had a fair crack of the whip. Not before. And certainly not on his accent or what he does or doesnt say to the press. Or whether he wins a single one off game.

And by that criterion he's doing remarkably well

Earning money is not escaping class. As an example, no matter how well they do, they would never be welcome at the RAC.

What the hell are you talking about! What does the membership criteria of the RAC have to do with anything? Are you the membership secretary. As far as I am aware, as long as you can pay the membership fees you would be welcome to the RAC, AA or any other automobile association. ;)

Time for you too to give TS a chance. Do you KNOW for a stone cold fact whether or not he will be the answer, because surely at this stage no one can. What if he turns out to be our Cloughie? What then?

We can surely ALL agree that we have had an encouraging PL start under TS, no? Anyone disagree?

The time to JUDGE him is when he has had a fair crack of the whip. Not before. And certainly not on his accent or what he does or doesnt say to the press. Or whether he wins a single one off game.

I was asking for opinions on how we are playing under TS and I thought after 6 games would be an interesting time to reflect a little. Plus look a little at where we think we were going.
Where the hell did that response come from ffs

How about let me know what you think so far? Thanks

If Tim Sherwood works out long term there is also a huge potential upside to his tenure ship: longevity.

I think AVB did his prospects of surviving the maulings no good at all by making public his various desires: participating in Dhaka Rally, managing in Brazil, publicly making noises about his friendship with the PSG owners and his intention to leave football early.

Harry Redknapp also did the same: openly flirting with England and his age was always going to be a factor in his long term employment potential. Neither manager gave you the feeling they were available for the long term.

Should Sherwood become a successful manager, we may have finally found someone who could potentially stay for 10-15 years. He is the perfect age, is someone who will definitely remain in football as long as possible and I can't see where else he would potentially move to. Cynics might say Arsenal, but I would counter that by saying it seems like he has built a power base, and forged a relationship with a Chairman, that gives him an incredible authority that in time could grow to the sort of influence wielded by the like of Ferguson and Wenger at their respective clubs.

If he went to another club he would be on a hiding to nothing like any other manager.

I see Spurs and Sherwood as a good match in another regard - as Sherwoods stature as a manger (hopefully) grows so should the club: new stadium, fruits of academy coming to (hopefully) bear fruit.

Spurs, Sherwood and youth could be a very exciting and organic shared growth and it could all work out very nicely indeed.

The above is all subjective, and we should have course sack Sherwood in may following a nose dive in form and be back to square one with a new chap in charge next season.

Seen in positive terms however, I think this could shape into different facets of Tottenham flourishing in unison. And that is what we have all been craving, since, well, as long as I can remember (1991 onwards).

On a separate point, namely his accent, I think it could be pivotal in our success. We are Tottenham, a London club, and I want as many London accents around us as possible. Why? Because having London running through the club is the best tonic to remedy our players being picked off by other clubs.

If we can bring London lads through into a London team with London mentality they may actually feel loyalty and stay: the Man Utd team that conquered all and sundry had a Manchester back bone. Ferguson was trying it again with lads like Cleverly and Welbeck. Liverpool have hung on during their periods of mediocrity because of 'Scouse loyalty' from players like Fowler, Gerrard and Carragher.

Modric was always going to leave, Suarez will leave. Gerrard stayed. Would Player X from Edmonton who has come through the academy and now plays in the top flight for a club located in one of the best cities in the world with a true London identity be less likely to leave than a croatian star? I belive so.

So in short, for me, the more ****neys the better. Also, i subscribe to the school of thought that Tim is a lot more progressive than he lets on anyway.

forgot to say earlier that this is an awesome post!!!!

Its wierd but sometimes people who obtain leadership positions by chance....or because something unexpected happens often are much better than those who are chosen or inherit management positions....

Could it possibly be after millions of pounds a succesion of glamourous manager appointments that we may have actually 'stumbled' on the right man for the job???????????

Of course its early days and far too soon to be saying Tim's the man who could deliver something special for us, that doesnt alter the fact that he has made a good start and done the right things so far.

Really enjoyed this post Armchair....top stuff!

Would you define 'class' as you view it? I am in 100% agreement that money does not equate class, that is a foolish and shallow assertion so I'm with you. But are we talking 'station' with regards to family roots/education? I am genuinely interested. I think it's a really interesting discussion personally. I have my own gauge of what true 'class' is, but it revolves around things such as decency, empathy and doing the right thing with regards to the society we are all a part of. Thus far, aside from a few bizarre (and inexperienced) things, Sherwood has actually shown me he's been growing fast. His insistence that AVB receive equal credit for our current away record, frankly, showed 'class' in abundance to me.

Answers in bold below mate…

I think he is a very very quick learner, and we will see more now he's had 10 days with the squad and most of them are fit.

I think the key is we are getting more players in the box. Better? Debatable. More of them due to attacking numbers? Yes.

I frankly feel it won't. In fact, I think we're warming up nicely, especially with world cup starters coming back to fitness after some time away.

No. I think 4th is absolutely our weight to snaffle right now.

Yes mate. It's my birthday. Of course we will.

Funnily enough we were discussing true middle class people and their kids today... I'm talking Muswell Hill types...

Their kids look like they've been dressed from second hand shops, they are left to roam (think that family who lost their kids in Portugal), they will allow them to eat mud... they will post pics on FB that the rest of the population will consider perhaps not appropriate, they will give them sh1te names...

I took my daughter to see The Snowman at the Peac0ck Theatre recently and we were in the front seats that were treated to the fake snow (foam) - the parents of these kids allowed them to run to the front and try to catch the foam, some rubbing their heads against the foam on the ground in the aisles...

These people will never talk like Tim haha

I was asking for opinions on how we are playing under TS and I thought after 6 games would be an interesting time to reflect a little. Plus look a little at where we think we were going.
Where the hell did that response come from ffs

How about let me know what you think so far? Thanks

Maybe Pirate thought he was replying to someone else.......ahem

I think Tim has done very well so far but we can obviously say that going out in the domestic cups is disapointing....more so West Ham..

I will put down what I have liked in bullet points.

.Brought Ade back into the fold and is getting a tune out of him
.attended all reserve,youth games....Capoue & Holtby maybe disgruntled but its not as if they are not being given a chance to impress....timmy watches
.Got us scoring goals.......the 4-4-2 may have been tem to lift confidence.....looks like he will change up formations and keep opponents guessing stops us looking predictable
.been honest in his interviews.....when we have played poorly he has said it....not sugar coated it!
.has made intelligent subs at decent times...apart from maybe spam
.has shown faith in youth and Bentaleb looks a prospect
.Arsenal & Swansea play a similar style.....after goon defeat changed it up against Swansea...quick learner from mistakes???
.Has got C Eriksen in a nice niche of form
.hasnt whinged about injuries though he has said we need them back
.hasnt whinged about needing new signings.....has said we have talent already at the club and he wants to work with them
.since he has had time on the training pitch things have been good...we certainly had a plan vs Swansea and executed it well!

The crux for me is can he get peformances from Solly & Lamela, I really think them playing well for us could be massive in our final league position finish.

so far out of 10 I would rate him 8.5......he has got my heart beating...got me loving spurs and looking forward to games.....cant ask for more than that really.....

you?

Back