• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

One of the very few actual solid sources around. Obviously just "firm interest" being reported, but still.

If we could get him as well the level of young talent at the club would be getting to a really good level. The kind of profile we should be looking for as well. Hope we get him done too and then start going for a couple of players with a bit more experience as well.
I dont think we need the experience - Romero, Bentancur, Bissouma, Maddison and Richarlison are all hitting their prime (26-27) and Son and maybe Davies are the old guard (30ish). That's perfectly balanced. Any more and we maybe start losing our tempo

Hope to see more minutes for Scarlett possibly this season. Parrot maybe because if we are not going to buy we need to look to our younger players.

I think you are pretty spot on regards what’s out there to be brought unless it’s huge fees and wages.

I fear Son’s better days are now past and Richi is just not good enough.

We do look a little light in that department.Hence my hoping to see some links to strikers.
So Richie had a record last season in the league of better than a goal every other game, all whilst playing with an injury/not being fit, and in a system where the goals are spread around the team rather than being solely reliant on the CF and that's not good enough? Plus the fact that he presses extremely well, if he can improve his fitness I'd say that he is good enough.

Besides the fact, I'm not sure where these all these upgrade CFs that are realistic are hiding? Far more likely we find a wide forward with real quality who can also be flexible and play the CF role, a younger Son/more polished version of Johnson I would have thought. I honestly believe within the next year that Kulu is the real casualty of our forward players and I'd add Son to that but doubt it because of his marketability.....

So Richie had a record last season in the league of better than a goal every other game, all whilst playing with an injury/not being fit, and in a system where the goals are spread around the team rather than being solely reliant on the CF and that's not good enough? Plus the fact that he presses extremely well, if he can improve his fitness I'd say that he is good enough.

Besides the fact, I'm not sure where these all these upgrade CFs that are realistic are hiding? Far more likely we find a wide forward with real quality who can also be flexible and play the CF role, a younger Son/more polished version of Johnson I would have thought. I honestly believe within the next year that Kulu is the real casualty of our forward players and I'd add Son to that but doubt it because of his marketability.....

Many had already made up their mind once they realized Kane was gone without a replacement. It just doesn't seem to how well he actually did on the pitch, he's a marked man. brick first season, and that was according to our manager at the time and the player but some can't move past that.

Fitness is the valid concern, it looked like he'd turned a corner after the surgery but then picked up another injury later on... It's an odd position with Son not really looking convincing there but being able to grab the odd goal, it'll be fascinating to see what we do.

He does work hard no doubt. His fitness is a major concern.

Maybe that’s harsh to say he’s not good enough. Watching him play I don’t think he is good enough. He’s finishing can be poor and his passing is mediocre at best.Even holding up the ball is not great.

So I do feel we can upgrade on him and if he’s leading the line all season I don’t think working hard is enough.

I do wonder if we will get a new wide forward as we kept Werner.

Many had already made up their mind once they realized Kane was gone without a replacement. It just doesn't seem to how well he actually did on the pitch, he's a marked man. brick first season, and that was according to our manager at the time and the player but some can't move past that.

Fitness is the valid concern, it looked like he'd turned a corner after the surgery but then picked up another injury later on... It's an odd position with Son not really looking convincing there but being able to grab the odd goal, it'll be fascinating to see what we do.
Yeah Son scored some goals up top but really isn't the long term answer. Richi has to prove his fitness, if he can do that he will easily score over 20 goals which would be fine assuming others chip in as Ange ball is designed to do. I don't see many CF options of the desired quality, it appears there are more versatile forwards around who can play across the pitch of which I think we will go for one more....

He does work hard no doubt. His fitness is a major concern.

Maybe that’s harsh to say he’s not good enough. Watching him play I don’t think he is good enough. He’s finishing can be poor and his passing is mediocre at best.Even holding up the ball is not great.

So I do feel we can upgrade on him and if he’s leading the line all season I don’t think working hard is enough.

I do wonder if we will get a new wide forward as we kept Werner.
Fair enough, we can agree to disagree as I'd say Richis finishing is fine IF fit. I think we have one more spot for a forward who is versatile, and if not one of our talented youngsters might get some extended game time. Let's see....

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree as I'd say Richis finishing is fine IF fit. I think we have one more spot for a forward who is versatile, and if not one of our talented youngsters might get some extended game time. Let's see....
I’d like to see more of our youngsters get game time. Let’s hope to see that.

I dont think we need the experience - Romero, Bentancur, Bissouma, Maddison and Richarlison are all hitting their prime (26-27) and Son and maybe Davies are the old guard (30ish). That's perfectly balanced. Any more and we maybe start losing our tempo
Not saying we need to sign players that are 26+, but more experienced than 18 year olds.

Not saying we need to sign players that are 26+, but more experienced than 18 year olds.
I hear you, but there are exceptional young players e.g. when watching Bellingham drag Real Madrid and England along behind him with clear BIG DOG energy, he is THE MAN on the pitch and has all the gravitas you need.

I agree there is no point spending money on a striker that is not top top toppety top:
In terms of strikers we have:
Son Richie = main men
(Deki Werner Johnson) = backups due to injury or whatever
Parrott Scarlett = loans to Championship or League 1
Lankshear = maybe a loan to L1 or L2

Maybe after this next year, perhaps we sell Son and Richie to Saudi for big money, generating loads of cash and freeing up huge wages.
Then spend big on a top replacement striker and use Parrott or Scarlett if they are good enough OR sell them and use that money too.

Edit - having said all that, I actually liked it when Pape Sarr played false 9 so their centre backs had nobody to mark, and putting the onus to arrive into the box and score onto the shoulders of Madison, Sarr, Bentancur, Bergvall, Gray and the full backs i.e. don't rely on one striker, make everybody contribute.

I hear you, but there are exceptional young players e.g. when watching Bellingham drag Real Madrid and England along behind him with clear BIG DOG energy, he is THE MAN on the pitch and has all the gravitas you need.
Oh absolutely. And I'm all for signing young players that we think have that "the man" energy. Would be all for adding Doue to the one's we've already signed. But for next season we should look to add a couple that are further along in their development too imo.

I’m amazed at the reluctance some hive to prioritising a CF
We had Richy, who when fit was a goal a game up top
And son who when given room was fine…. But as soon as we started playing low blocks was borderline atrocious
We need a quality, capable, experienced CF. The change to the team dynamic that guy could bring is massive
Unless we’re going big on a Gyokeres I still think To ey is a great fit. Does donkey work and really makes defenders think (opposite of what we saw last season). That alone creates chances and his finishing is very good. His price and age would also give us time to develop from within which has to be a real possibility with the talent pool we have
I do like Jonathan David. Reminds me of Defoe and his price would be sensible for a player with his record
If we go into the season with richy alone and son as a make shift option we’re fudged IMO

It's not about "our" priorities. Ange and the scouting team will have an idea of what the squad wants to look like at the beginning of the season. Who's in, whose out. What can be achieved with the money available. Who's interested in joinging etc...

I'd love a new world class cf. I'd love a new world class "insert position here".

Who that maybe, i don't know. So will let ange and the team decide.

We can all name off players. But a bit meaningless really.

I think most would happily upgrade CF it's just that the realistic links will most likely be no better than what we have and cost a fair bit of money too
We have no real CF of we’re honest
Richy and son between them have probably played about 150 games in that position
A player who knows the role and can occupy the opposition would be a big additional benefit
Watching son run to the half way line last year to receive the ball was fudging painful
Seeing the new richy has hurt groin again is painful too
We need options

Back