• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
I agree about the first point. On the second, I would prefer that we concentrated on technique with young players.

I I can't dance with that at all, however with the pool of players we have at the moment the only way we will progress in this tournament is if we work to a plan. Whatever we think about Hodgson he can organise teams to play and are hard to beat, Redknapp is unable to give the England team that plan and why he was not considered for the job, as i have said before the FA were embarrassed with the KK situation and Redknapp would have been the same. IMO

Redknapp is very capable, look at his time with Pompey - negative 451 to get past better opposition.

They had a better away record his last season or so than home - the difference between being able to grind a result and being expected to attack

Paddy's Latest

Spain 13/5

Germany 3/1

Holland 13/2

France 10/1

England 14/1

Italy 16/1

Portugal 18/1

Russia 22/1

Ukraine 50/1
Croatia 50/1
Poland 50/1

Czech Republic 66/1
Sweden 66/1

Denmark 80/1
Ireland 80/1

Greece 100/1

They're still doing "if Spain wins, you get your money back", right?

If so:

?ú50 on Germany = ?ú150
?ú20 on Holland = ?ú130
?ú10 on France = ?ú100
?ú10 on Italy = ?ú160
?ú10 on Portugal = 180

If Spain win you get your money back, if France win you get the ?ú100 back and ?ú10 stake, if Germany, Holland, Italy or Portugal win, you make decent profit.

If England win, you lose all your money, but you can take that for England to win. (That's about as likely as Croatia winning though.)

The vast majority of teams in this competition simply aren't up to the level of the elite. I think it's highly unlikely that Russia win despite their easy passage forwards, Croatia haven't really got much of a chance thanks to their group being so tough, so it's hard to see how this could go wrong. This is playing it safe though, Portugal are serious outsiders thanks to their group of death and lack of team quality, so if you want to risk them winning it, you could skip that bet, but because they're crazy outsiders the profit from them winning is good.

I haven't covered anyone in Russia's group because they'll be playing the top two out of the group of death in the quarter finals, so it's likely to be Germany and Holland, both teams will have to have got out of the group of death, so shouldn't be playing badly.

As long as they haven't stopped doing the "money back if Spain win" thing, I like these odds.

Redknapp is very capable, look at his time with Pompey - negative 451 to get past better opposition.

They had a better away record his last season or so than home - the difference between being able to grind a result and being expected to attack

I thought that was an excellent Portsmouth squad he put together with the money he had (which wasn't nothing, but wasn't huge either).

I liked a lot about the team he was shaping there, particularly during the short spell Diarra was in midfield.

My point was more though that that Pompey side was very capable of grinding out results. In fact they made a habit of setting up a negative 451 away from home and walking away with points (in the season I have in mind, when they won the FA cup iirc)

I thought that was an excellent Portsmouth squad he put together with the money he had (which wasn't nothing, but wasn't huge either).

It's amazing what you can do with disproportionate wages and nobungstoagentswhatsoeverforlegalreasons.

I'm not convinced that a manager has enough time with his players at international level to do much detailed work. The following quote from Simon Davies is interesting

"We work on it every day...Every day in training is geared towards team shape. I've been working with the manager three seasons now and every day is team shape, and it shows...If you're going to play for him you've got to put a shift in and perform, work to a system and be tight defensively...We do a lot of work after every game on analysis, sorting the bad things out, sorting the good things out. It's nice to know what you work hard on works so well."

some tactics and training ground work is better than little training and very few tactics ;)

Rather than picking names, a manager for a national team should pick players that not only are in form, but also base his selection on what roles they have in their club team. You don't pick an attacking wing back and tell him to only do defensive work. You don't have a midfield pairing of Lampard and Gerrard. You don't put a central midfielder on the wing because he works hard. You pick a balanced squad of players that gives you the option to play different tactics without having to spend weeks practising them.

What? Where am I? Oh, it was just a dream.

its really starting to look like 4-3-3 is the only formation to use for international play.

All the best teams use it: Holland, Germany, France, etc.

Q: Is it the way of the future?

its really starting to look like 4-3-3 is the only formation to use for international play.

All the best teams use it: Holland, Germany, France, etc.

Q: Is it the way of the future?

Germany and Holland play 4-2-3-1, not 4-3-3. Two central midfielders, one striker, and three attacking midfielders of some sort.

Top Scorer - Fernando Torres

Top Assister - Xavi

Tournament Winners - Spain

Tournament Runners Up - Germany

Group A Winners - Russia

Group A Runners Up - Poland

Group B Winners - Germany

Group B Runners Up - Netherlands

Group C Winners - Spain

Group C Runners Up - Republic of Ireland

Group D Winners - England

Group D Runners Up - France

Winning Group - Surely redundant after we have named who we think will win? Group C, obviously, for me as I have said that Spain will win.

One Player I Think Will Score a Hat-trick - Torres

One Player I Think Will Get a Red Card - Ashley Cole

One Team I Think Will Lose on Penalties - Republic of Ireland

Highest Scoring Domestic League - Premier League

Highest Scoring Group Game - Germany 3-2 Holland

Group Game I think will finish 0-0 - Greece v Czech Republic

Pick one losing Semi-Finalist - England

Red Card in the Final? - Yes

Top Scoring Team - Spain

Least Scoring Team - Greece

Team With Least Goals Conceded - Greece

Team With Most Goals Conceded - Denmark

Will England Lose on Penalties? - No

Will Germany Win a Penalty Shoot out? - No

Will Andy Carroll Score a goal? - No

Will Cristiano Ronaldo Score a goal? - Yes

Will Wayne Rooney Score a goal? - Yes

Will Arjen Robben Score a goal? - Yes

Will Fernando Torres Score a goal? - Yes

Will Robert Lewandowski Score a goal? - No

Will Miroslav Klose Score a goal? - No

Top Premier League Goalscorer - Torres

Top La Liga Goalscorer - Benzema

Top Bundesliga Goalscorer - Muller

Top Serie A Goalscorer - Sneijder

First Goalscorer in the Final - Iniesta

Last Goalscorer in the Final - Iniesta

Final to go Beyond 90 Minutes? - No

Total Goals Scored by Top Goalscorer - 5

Which of the hosts will qualify for the knockout stages? - Poland

Winner to Win Every Game in 90 Minutes? - No

Number of Home Nations (Ireland and England) to Qualify from the Group? 2

Winner of the Germany/Holland Group Game - Germany 3-2

Winner of the Italy/Spain Group Game - Spain 2-0

Winner of the France/England Group Game - England 1-0

Germany and Holland play 4-2-3-1, not 4-3-3. Two central midfielders, one striker, and three attacking midfielders of some sort.

It's all varieties of 4-5-1. The numbers aren't that important, it's about the players you put in there.

I would write Italy and Portugal out of the way early on. I don't think Italy are a patch on the side that they used to be and certainly not as good as their competitors. I don't even think Italy will qualify from their group.

Portugal are almost Ronaldo FC, as I've alluded to elsewhere, and I think they have little to no chance of qualifying through their group. I'm tempted to back them to finish bottom as I think there is an opportunity for Denmark to finish above them as they have a team rather than an individual.

It's all varieties of 4-5-1. The numbers aren't that important, it's about the players you put in there.

I agree. 4 at the back and a lone striker, that makes it 5 midfielders and most of the time any of those 4-x-1 formations will be 4-5-1 when defending against anyone good. Even when attacking it will vary more with players selected like you say and game flow.

VolSpur: It would seem like it, again with the assumption that 4-5-1 = 4-3-3 = 4-2-3-1 = 4-4-1-1. Although that is a bit of a simplification. Most teams go for a central trio to stem the opponents, at least against good teams and 4-4-2 and other formations tend to be more for special occasions like when in desperate need of a goal these days.

i agree to some extent, but if that were the case we should be able to play Gio as a RM in our 4-5-1 formation. We can't because he's more accustomed to playing wide right on a front 3 and isnt used to playing as deep as Lennon gets in our normal set-up. Our 4-5-1 has 2 CMs; not 3.

to me 4-3-3 equals 3 CM's. When we play with Sandro, Modric, and Parker i'd say we're close to a true 4-3-3, but VDV doesn't play wide right, and Bale doesn't stick wide left. Everything just gets clogged in the middle and its more like a 4-3-2-1 Christmas tree formation. I'd like us to go 4-3-3 with Bale up top and Lennon/Gio wide right but that leaves out VDV which wouldn't be ideal with the way he's played for us.

Player of the Tournament - Mezut Ozil

Top Scorer -
Mario Gomez

Top Assister -
Wesley Sneijder

Tournament Winners -
Germany

Tournament Runners Up -
Netherlands

Group A Winners -
Russia

Group A Runners Up -
Poland

Group B Winners -
Germany

Group B Runners Up -
Netherlands

Group C Winners -
Spain

Group C Runners Up -
Croatia

Group D Winners -
France

Group D Runners Up -
Ukraine

Winning Group -
B

One Player I Think Will Score a Hat-trick -
Karim Benzema

One Player I Think Will Get a Red Card -
John Terry

One Team I Think Will Lose on Penalties -
France

Highest Scoring Domestic League -
EPL

Highest Scoring Group Game -
Poland v Czech Republic

Group Game I think will finish 0-0 -
Greece v Czech Republic

Pick one losing Semi-Finalist -
Spain

Red Card in the Final? -
No

Top Scoring Team -
Germany

Least Scoring Team -
Ireland

Team With Least Goals Conceded -
Russia

Team With Most Goals Conceded -
Denmark

Will England Lose on Penalties? -
Nope

Will Germany Win a Penalty Shoot out? -
No

Will Andy Carroll Score a goal? -
No

Will Cristiano Ronaldo Score a goal? -
Yes

Will Wayne Rooney Score a goal? -
Yes

Will Arjen Robben Score a goal? -
Yes

Will Fernando Torres Score a goal? -
Yes

Will Robert Lewandowski Score a goal? -
Yes

Will Miroslav Klose Score a goal? -
Yes

Top Premier League Goalscorer -
RVP

Top La Liga Goalscorer -
Karim Benzema

Top Bundesliga Goalscorer -
Robert Lewandowski

Top Serie A Goalscorer -
Ibra

First Goalscorer in the Final -
Mueller

Last Goalscorer in the Final -
RVP

Final to go Beyond 90 Minutes? -
No

Total Goals Scored by Top Goalscorer -

Which of the hosts will qualify for the knockout stages? -
Both

Winner to Win Every Game in 90 Minutes? -
Yes

Number of Home Nations (Ireland and England) to Qualify from the Group?

Winner of the Germany/Holland Group Game -
1-1

Winner of the Italy/Spain Group Game -
Spain

Winner of the France/England Group Game -
France

I can't be bothered with all this but the correct answer is FC Barcelona - they're the greatest team of all time. Messi as top scorer from 8 consecutive tap-ins

Player of the Tournament - Arjen Robben

Top Scorer - Robin Van Persie

Top Assister - Arjen Robben

Tournament Winners - France

Tournament Runners Up - Holland

Group A Winners - Russia

Group A Runners Up - Greece

Group B Winners - Germany

Group B Runners Up - Holland

Group C Winners - Ireland

Group C Runners Up - Croatia

Group D Winners - France