• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Of course Storrie must be held to blame, but Redknapp was the one who asked for stupid money for over aged overrated players and he must have known it was not sustainable

Well in that case his transfer strategy was completely unsustainable in relation to their means - hence their 'relative' success = much better players than their rivals could afford.

It would appear it was never Redknapps job to worry about that. Simply the team. And Redknapp being Redknapp always had an eye on a good player.

Look at him at Spurs, Levy doesnt pander to his every whim - he still gets on just fine and we arent in financial dissaray

At any club its the boards responsibility, to manage the finances, to manage Redknapps desires (ooer!) and to make sure things run within their means.

Redknapp is old school, he deals with the team only (in the short term IMO) and doesnt give a damn for the finances - thats simply not his job.

Redknapp is not responsible for the issues at Pompey, not at all, thats an absolute statement of fact.

Storrie and the board however, are 100% bang to rights....

Player of the Tournament -

Top Scorer - Benzema

Top Assister - Ben Arfa

Tournament Winners - Spain

Tournament Runners Up - France

Group A Winners - Russia

Group A Runners Up - Greece

Group B Winners - Holland

Group B Runners Up - Germany

Group C Winners - Spain

Group C Runners Up - Croatia

Group D Winners - France

Group D Runners Up - England

Winning Group - eh?

One Player I Think Will Score a Hat-trick - Gomez or Benzema

One Player I Think Will Get a Red Card -

One Team I Think Will Lose on Penalties - France

Highest Scoring Domestic League - eh?

Highest Scoring Group Game - Spain vs rep of ireland

Group Game I think will finish 0-0 -

Pick one losing Semi-Finalist - Germany

Red Card in the Final? - no

Top Scoring Team - France

English fans outside a hotel in Poland chanting "Thierry Henry", "You're going down with the Euro" at Irish fans.

Official spurs feed is so stupid.

I brick myself reading "Luka Modric has told TottenhamHotspur.com" - I thought it was about leaving but it's about the Euros lol.

No - I'm saying he should be held accountable for some the blame as opposed to completely exonorating him from something he had an absolutely key role in

I disagree completely. I would imagine that Redknapp was given a goal by the club's owners/directors and that goal would've been to keep them in the Premiership as a minimum and to target finishing in the top 8 or 10) with winning a trophy being the icing on the cake.

Redknapp took Portsmouth over when thy were in the relegation zone and, against the odds, kept them up in his first season. He then got them (a club record) 9th place finish the following year and then an 8th place finish and the FA Cup the year after.

It was only when Gaydamak stepped down (and withdrew his financial backing) that things started to go wrong at Pompey. And even then Redknapp's signings produced a very large overall profit on transfer fees for Portsmouth.

When Gaydamak was at the club it appeared that Redknapp was given a decent budget to spend on players and based on that budget he would ask his board for certain players. The board then go and try to make the deals happen. Pretty much any manager will spend the budget his board gives him. If Redknapp identifies a player and says that he thinks they will improve the team the board should go up to a certain level they can afford and then walk away if the transfer fee or wage goes above that ceiling. Take Spurs as an example. It would appear that Redknapp wants Vertonghen, Vertonghen obviously also wants to come to Spurs however Levy knows there is a certain package that he can pay for that player. There are many people on here who are complaining that we haven't just paid what Ajax want for him because "it's only 3 million". But it's precisely those sorts of decisions that eventually lead to clubs going bankrupt.

Managers want good players. Chairmen control the budget. Both are always likely to have a different idea of what is important for the club. However a well run club will not jeapordise it's future by spending money that they cannot afford.

I think it is ridiculous to lay the blame for Portsmouth's demise with Redknapp. He took them to their two highest Premier League finishes and won them their first major trophy since 1950! In addition the players that he signed for them resulted in a transfer fee profit of ?ú30 million. IMO mismanagement at the board level was responsible for Pompey's demise and nothing else.

Additionally Portsmouth are a slightly special case. When Redknapp went there for his second stint Gaydamak was throwing money around. It was only when he withdrew that financial support that Pompey were in trouble. As an example here would you blame Mancini for Emirates Marketing Project's demise if their new owners pulled their financial backing? Or would you blame (say) Mourinho for Chelsea's demise if Abramovich had pulled his financial backing? As both clubs would've dropped like a stone in the same way as Pompey if the same scenario had unfolded.

Additionally Portsmouth are a slightly special case. When Redknapp went there for his second stint Gaydamak was throwing money around. It was only when he withdrew that financial support that Pompey were in trouble. As an example here would you blame Mancini for Emirates Marketing Project's demise if their new owners pulled their financial backing? Or would you blame (say) Mourinho for Chelsea's demise if Abramovich had pulled his financial backing? As both clubs would've dropped like a stone in the same way as Pompey if the same scenario had unfolded.

Is this the way that Portsmouth fans see it or do they attach some blame to Redknapp?

What really fudged them was getting relegated. If they had stayed in the Premiership they'd have just about pulled through.

This isn't down to Redknapp as much as some of our own would love to believe it. There is a lesson there for all promoted teams, and a lesson for ourselves and the Champion's League. We've seen so many teams break the bank to achieve CL football, and then break the bank to stay there. Their justification is the revenue the CL brings, but the money they spend to stay there exceeds that of the rewards! So it's a broken business model. Fair play to Levy for seeing this and not going mad with expenditure just because we qualified for it.

I disagree with the bolded bit,Redknapp has to be as much to blame as Storrie is.

I do agree with the bit about Levy though, there is no way he will allow Redknapp to risk our long term future for short term gain.

How did the England squad thread turn into an analysis of Redknapp's time at Portsmouth?

In England news the squad have now arrived in Poland. Let the madness of the Euros begin!

Is this the way that Portsmouth fans see it or do they attach some blame to Redknapp?

They attach plenty of blame to Redknapp, although I've yet to find one that would swap the FA Cup for financial stability.

My family are all Portsmouth fans and my grandfather was a kid the last time they won anything of value so they'll happily take a few seasons in the lower leagues for the glory they glimpsed.

Reading today that France have sold less than 50 tickets for their opening game against us..........:ross:

They will be giving tickets away to fill those stadiums (particularly in the Ukraine).

Unbelievable!! Source? They deserve it with the tinkle take hotel and travel prices. Uefa need to regulate more.

They attach blame to Redknapp, but that was more down to him going to Southampton than anything. After that he was, understandbley, never welcome there no matter how well he did. The thing I found ironic was that those who hated him when he came back also had a go at him for joining us. I remember winding up a Pompey fan at the time saying you wanted him gone, you got your wish and yet you still aren't happy with it? Now they blame him for getting relegated too because they don't believe it would have happened if he hadn't of gone!

I do enjoy a good bit of Pompey fan baiting. Having lived in Bournemouth for a long time I met a lot of them, and the subset I've met aren't exactly the nicest people in the world. And boy are they deluded when it comes to football! :lol:

I do enjoy a good bit of Pompey fan baiting. Having lived in Bournemouth for a long time I met a lot of them, and the subset I've met aren't exactly the nicest people in the world. And boy are they deluded when it comes to football! :lol:

Strange, in general I've found most to be amongst the most reasonable rival fans I've met. They seem to know pretty well where they are in the football hierarchy and there's something admirable about an entire city supporting one team with very few exceptions.

Admittedly, away matches used to get a little hairy down there but it's not like we used to be angels either.

Also, being from where you are - I assume you have a rough idea of how strong the hatred runs between rivals in that area.

With that in mind, are you proud to have a manager that left one club for another and then did the opposite? Personally, that makes him a lower type of scum than his favourite player Campbell.

Pleaty's ones to watch for the tourney.

Alan Dzagoev (Russia)
Kevin Strootman (Holland)
Yann M'Vila (France)
Christian Eriksen (Denmark)
Mario G?Âtze (Germany)
James McClean (Ireland)

Full article

Back