• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Way out of his depth in what way?

preparation, tactics, substitutions ...at international level, everything is amplified, fewer games, less chances/time to put right any mistakes. Every match is a big game with very small margins of error. Imo Redknapp would be found wanting, his motivational presence simply isnt enough

preparation, tactics, substitutions ...at international level, everything is amplified, fewer games, less chances/time to put right any mistakes. Every match is a big game with very small margins of error. Imo Redknapp would be found wanting, his motivational presence simply isnt enough

I beg to differ - most international tournaments (as mentioned by numerous professionals over the years) often come down to a bit of luck over 6-7 games over a very short period of time including players who only have couple of weeks to familiarise themsevles, etc.

It's about being able to gel the players together quickly and extract the optimum output - no fancy tactical deeper philosophy

Arry would have been perfect in this sort of context - powerful figure, experienced, loved/respected by most, has the old guard's backing (very important), etc.

Last edited:
International is still football and Harry is still a football manager. People try and make international football out as being a completely different sport at times. Pick a squad, pick a team, apply some good tactics and away you go.

i really dont think Richards, Carrick and Sturridge will be missed, they are not world beaters that its so devastating for them not to be in the squad.

England has one genuinely world class player, Rooney, Hart is on his way to being world class but still needs a bit more experience. The rest are much of a muchness

5 Liverpool players? well, Gerrard has proved himself at this level and as he is fit he surely has to be in. Johnson? Hodgson said Walker would have been in had he not been injured,so he was left with the choice of Johnson or Richards and went for Johnson. Whats the big deal, no big difference there imv.

Carroll?? who else, Crouch or Zamora??:D i mean seriously, thats the state of English football we are dealing with.

when will people realise that England have won one tournament, and that was 46 years ago, and it was played in England. England dont do tournaments, dont win major trophies, and this has been the case with much better players in the past compared to the rabble that Cappelo and Hodgson have had to select from

Honestly, i dont even expect England to get out of the group, this tournament is a complete write off anyway because of the late change in manager. Just give Hodgson a chance to look at the players, to work closely with them, and in time he will be able to imprint his ideas onto the players so that at least thy are ready for the World Cup qualifiers

Mate, England has a brick group of players to pick from, a QF/SF run would be a accomplishment.

The issue is Roy picked brick from a brick group, without logic, and without any ability to do anythng but snore their way quietly out of the tournament

Yes, I object to 5 Pool players, because they have have had a dire season of underperformance.

His squad says nothing, no focus on youth, no focus on speed, no focus on technical ability, no focus on giving experience for the WC qualifiers.

Redknapp would have done a better job by a country mile ...

Harry would've taken Rio, Lennon, Carrick and Scholes I reckon. Richards probably(although he likes Johnson and really rates Jones), maybe Joe Cole and Crouch too. Not sure on Sturridge or A.Johnson.

Mate, England has a brick group of players to pick from, a QF/SF run would be a accomplishment.

The issue is Roy picked brick from a brick group, without logic, and without any ability to do anythng but snore their way quietly out of the tournament

Yes, I object to 5 Pool players, because they have have had a dire season of underperformance.

His squad says nothing, no focus on youth, no focus on speed, no focus on technical ability, no focus on giving experience for the WC qualifiers.

Redknapp would have done a better job by a country mile ...

barring one or two differences, Redknapp would have picked the same squad

he loves Gerrard, loves Lampard, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Johnson, Walcott, Downing would have been there, please do not try to tell me that Redknapp would have gone down the youth, speed, giving experience for the WC qualifiers route. Please:)

Harry would've taken Rio, Lennon, Carrick and Scholes I reckon. Richards probably(although he likes Johnson and really rates Jones), maybe Joe Cole and Crouch too. Not sure on Sturridge or A.Johnson.

yes, the old guard, no focus on youth, just the same old same old....thats what gets me about the Hodgson bashing, its not as if the alternative would have dramatically freshened things up, or picked amazing players that are going to make a huge difference

barring one or two differences, Redknapp would have picked the same squad

he loves Gerrard, loves Lampard, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Johnson, Walcott, Downing would have been there, please do not try to tell me that Redknapp would have gone down the youth, speed, giving experience for the WC qualifiers route. Please:)

Look at Redknapp's squads anywhere

- Yes he likes experience
- But he also likes technically gifted players
- He likes pace/power

And he would have tried to win a fudging game

Roy is going to play 4-5-1 with a don't lose first tactic

Look at Redknapp's squads anywhere

- Yes he likes experience
- But he also likes technically gifted players
- He likes pace/power

And he would have tried to win a fudging game

Roy is going to play 4-5-1 with a don't lose first tactic

......................Hart

Johnson......Cahill....Terry......Cole

Walcott......Parker....Lampard....Young

....................Gerrard

....................Rooney

seriously, wtf is wrong with that....how much pace/power do you want, there are players there that are proven to be technically gifted at the highest level. I dont know what people are crying about, its seriously over dramatic

......................Hart

Johnson......Cahill....Terry......Cole

Walcott......Parker....Lampard....Young

....................Gerrard

....................Rooney

seriously, wtf is wrong with that....how much pace/power do you want, there are players there that are proven to be technically gifted at the highest level. I dont know what people are crying about, its seriously over dramatic

Other than Lampard/Gerrard suck together, and underperform for England regularly, Rooney is probably going to get 1 game, two wingers who are extremely inconsistant (and both are completely unintelligent footballers), and really not a lot of creativity in the side anywhere .. nahhh .. all good.

england's best chance would be to have a some of chelsea's luck. even a fraction of that at the right time england would have won tournaments in the past 25 years.

Other than Lampard/Gerrard suck together, and underperform for England regularly, Rooney is probably going to get 1 game, two wingers who are extremely inconsistant (and both are completely unintelligent footballers), and really not a lot of creativity in the side anywhere .. nahhh .. all good.

well if you can come up with something dramatically different, creative, consistent, then go for it

yes, the old guard, no focus on youth, just the same old same old....thats what gets me about the Hodgson bashing, its not as if the alternative would have dramatically freshened things up, or picked amazing players that are going to make a huge difference

At international level there shouldn't be focus on youth anyway. It's all about the now. Doesn't matter if a player is 16 or 40. If they're the best in that position they should play.

I am underwhelmed by the squad though and do feel there were better options.

well if you can come up with something dramatically different, creative, consistent, then go for it

The England team should have been built around Carrick for the last 6 or 7 years. A holding player is crucial to success, and Carrick was (is) the best around. But he does it in such an understated manner that he rarely gets noticed even by the fans of his own clubs (who often think him as a deeplying playmaker, which he is not).

And I find it ridiculous that Capello leaves over Terry, and yet he still made the squad. Especially at the expense of Rio Ferdinand....the brother of the person Terry racially abused. It basically stinks of hypocrisy.

With Rooney out I'd personally have gone for a Mourinho style Chelsea formation with Carrick (Makelele), Parker (Essien) and Lampard in the middle. But with Gerrard being made Captain, it's pretty obvious that over rated diving clown shoe will be the man we build the team around....again. And because of that we'll fail.....again.

I agree with you on the importance of Carrick, but for Spurs he was most definitely a deep lying play maker. Literally everything went thru him at Spurs, that to me is the definition of a playmaker. He was also fantastic defensively for us because of the positions he took up and his reading of the game, was a big loss when he went.

Back