• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2021/22 Premier League Thread

Good on Burnley. The five substitute nonsense is only beneficial for the big/rich clubs that have a stockpile of great players they don't know how to put into use.

For Burnley to be able to sub on an extra U21 player/Norwegian international is of no use when your already superior opponents throw on another De Bruyne, Maren, Jota or Havertz to win the game.

Good on Burnley. The five substitute nonsense is only beneficial for the big/rich clubs that have a stockpile of great players they don't know how to put into use.

For Burnley to be able to sub on an extra U21 player/Norwegian international is of no use when your already superior opponents throw on another De Bruyne, Maren, Jota or Havertz to win the game.

It's actually useful for smaller clubs too if they use it properly. They might not be able to throw on match winning subs, but they can avoid running their key players into the ground. If you're 0-3 down early in the second half you can rest players if you have a busy schedule ahead. Likewise you can slow down play and waste time if you're hanging on to a slim lead.

I think there's a great myth in tactical subs, how many of them actually change games? We all here about the great stroke pull by super managers when it happens but given there are probably 40 to 50 a week made in PL it's the exception to the rule that they save the day.

It's actually useful for smaller clubs too if they use it properly. They might not be able to throw on match winning subs, but they can avoid running their key players into the ground. If you're 0-3 down early in the second half you can rest players if you have a busy schedule ahead. Likewise you can slow down play and waste time if you're hanging on to a slim lead.

I don't buy the first argument - firstly, I think three subs would cover most bottom half clubs' key players, and secondly in a scenario where the game is all but over, the tempo of the game usually slows down so much that it's comparable to a training session.

Of course more subs provides more opportunities for time wasting, but that's a tiny advantage compared to what the big/rich teams will get out of this. More subs will contribute to a further cementation of the top teams' dominance, because they'll have more quality options available to beat those teams who doesn't benefit from financial doping or the effects of historical dominance.

IMO small/poor teams might get equal opportunities from five subs while playing each other, and the same with big/rich teams - but when big/rich teams face small/poor teams, five subs is a massive advantage for those with superior resources. I.e. clubs that already are in a priveleged position.

I don't buy the first argument - firstly, I think three subs would cover most bottom half clubs' key players, and secondly in a scenario where the game is all but over, the tempo of the game usually slows down so much that it's comparable to a training session.

Of course more subs provides more opportunities for time wasting, but that's a tiny advantage compared to what the big/rich teams will get out of this. More subs will contribute to a further cementation of the top teams' dominance, because they'll have more quality options available to beat those teams who doesn't benefit from financial doping or the effects of historical dominance.

IMO small/poor teams might get equal opportunities from five subs while playing each other, and the same with big/rich teams - but when big/rich teams face small/poor teams, five subs is a massive advantage for those with superior resources. I.e. clubs that already are in a priveleged position.

This article argues why more subs can benefit smaller clubs: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...oes-not-benefit-the-big-clubs-and-here-is-why

It all depends on the drop in quality between the first choice XI and the rest of the players.

Hard to argue against. A top club can rest half their best XI against lower opponents and then bring them on if its not working.

There is some merit in the fans want to see the best players, but the clubs arguing for more subs abandoned this concept ages ago.

As much as I want Saudi Sportswashing Machine relegated, anything they get tonight is great for us. Cue two Ronaldo pens in added time.

As childish as it may be, even after how long it’s been since they were decent, I absolutely love it when they lose so that’ll be cracking if Saudi Sportswashing Machine keep it up.

Ref is letting Man Utd away with a few.

As much as I would like to see Saudi Sportswashing Machine relegated. A win here would be better for us. I'll take a draw either.

Back