• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
I'd rather see Chelsea in the CL next year than the goons. Finishing 5th won't do their finances any damage at all, whereas Arsenal will only be one failed season away from massive financial problems.

Think it's the other way around, Arsenal are a fantastically well run club financially. The issue with them is that they'd lose Van Persie if they didn't quality for the Champions League and they'd really struggle to replace him.

With Chelsea it depends how strictly the FFP rules are enforced. If they're done so properly, Chelsea could be absolutely fudged next season without Champions League football, as they have an enormous wage bill, very little re-sale value for the players they'll need to get rid of, several positions that they need to sign new players for and of course the small matter of finding a new manager.

Last year Chelsea posted a loss of ?ú67.7m. With all that spending required, how are they going to cope without Champions League money coming in? Not to mention the backlash there would be of fans not renewing their season tickets. And with their sponsorship deal with Samsung expiring at the end of next season, they'd have a big worry about future revenues coming in too if they don't have the Champions League exposure that the top sponsors would want.

It would be super sweet after everything that happened with Modric last summer for Chelsea to finish not only below us but outside the top 4. And then we could spend the summer tapping up Daniel Sturridge, who only has a year left on his contract and would surely be happier playing in a central striking role in a Champions League team. It would all start to fall to pieces. Perhaps Roman would be so devastated from (scuse the pun) seeing his empire crumble, that he'd get fed up and pack it all in.

That is, of course, assuming FFP is enforced properly. If Chelsea finish 5th we're just as likely to see Michel Platini making an annoucement that Chelsea are going to be allowed into the Champions League under "special circumstances" from his new Russian yacht.

Arsenal have said already it would hit them badly to miss out on CL.

They have a hefty wage bill to manage, and the need to rebuild their team. CL being something they rely on heavily to lure players in.

Chelsea on the other hand rely on money as much as anything. And the FFP rules have already been effectively debunked. They state themselves that so long as a club is "heading in the right direction" they can be allowed entry into the competition at the authorities discretion.

Chelsea wont miss out at all.

There have been three great goals in the Bilbao Schalke match so far, 2-1 to Schalke now, superb strike by Raul.

Edit: 2-2 now :lol: Ten goals in the tie, great stuff.

Last edited:
Do you actually watch us play? Let alone City ...

No point taking this any further, Modric and Silva are both little and both have shoulder length hair so they're the same player right. You're the guy that thinks Sandro was playing as a right winger last week so it's safe to say it's pointless me even debating here.

Lol

Silva does not play in the VdV role for City. Never has.

Im not sure why you take such offense at Modric comparisons. Never said he was brick player - only noted Silva has edged him slightly this season on form but not by much.

City do on occasions line up with 2 strikers.

Even so - he has never played for them in vdv s role which was the original point of discussion.

Based on the teams in the semis, I honestly think that if we had put some effort into the Europa League we would have had a good chance to win it.

I think, with all due respect, this shows some of the arrogance of fans in the league. There are some very good teams in that last four, including a team that destroyed Man Utd along the way. We'd have had to take this competition just as seriously as we took the CL last season or the premier league to have a chance of reaching that far.

I think, with all due respect, this shows some of the arrogance of fans in the league. There are some very good teams in that last four, including a team that destroyed Man Utd along the way. We'd have had to take this competition just as seriously as we took the CL last season or the premier league to have a chance of reaching that far.

I understand what you mean and yeah, it is arrogant, but I really do think that we could match any of them. Although Sporting beat City and Athletic tore United apart, I think that, again, neither of the Manchester clubs seemed too bothered with the competition and their players looked uninterested. If those fixtures had taken place in the CL, it's fair to say that the Mancs would have fared much better.

City generally play 4231, Silva has played in any of the positons behind the striker, just like Rafa does for us(not on the left though). Modric plays in Barry or Yaya's position.

Premier league on friday feels quite odd, how long has this game been scheduled for and why is it on today?!

Good chance to watch Caulker against a team playing decent attacking football.

Got Reading on a few bets, they've had a great start against Leeds, Leeds now down to 10 men too!

Back