• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Inbetween Transfer Windows Rumour Thread

In the past, due to certain people at the club who couldn't seem to keep their cards close to their chest our targets seemed to be telegraphed way before we made a bid; I'm hoping that the current set-up is much more discrete with identifying targets and making negotiations so as to mean that perhaps we have targets lined up and are discussing final details already...

...one can only hope..[-o<

Still fuming after yesterday, and indeed the last few weeks. The chairman of a professional football club, with a first class degree in Land Economy from Cambridge, gambling on the one cheaper replacement signing for our most important player in ages being fit for the entire season. Well, he got fudged, as is the Spurs way, and commensurately, so did we.

I keep saying this, but I refuse to believe Levy's just downed shutters and fudged off to Belize or wherever, refusing to spend a penny on proven performers and opting for risky, unproven options. He had to have some sort of back-up plan in mind for when signing Dembele, Dempsey and Sigurdsson went kaput. They were gambles worth making, but one's apparently got the hips of a 70-year-old grandmother from Brixton and the other two are rapidly losing the fans' support, for one reason or another.

So I'm waiting on January. 20th January, to be precise. If we've signed no one decent by then, I'll know Levy's playing his bloody deadline game again, and will cease to care.

I think the likes of Moutinho and Willian would still join us, we won't pay what it takes to sign them though so I guess it's a little irrelevant.

I dont wanna use this thread to explain my feelings regarding the likes of Dempsey or Sig but do you not think that £14m would have been better spent on maybe one player like Willian? or using that 14m to help get Moutinho?

I think all this we wont pay business is our own doing - we wont pay 25m on one player who would add more (no guarantees but AVB wanted him) than the aforementioned two however we will spend 14m on those two. So whats happening is we end up 'wasting' 14m. Forget the whole its too soon to come to a conclusion on those two etc im just using figures here.

Still fuming after yesterday, and indeed the last few weeks. The chairman of a professional football club, with a first class degree in Land Economy from Cambridge, gambling on the one cheaper replacement signing for our most important player in ages being fit for the entire season. Well, he got fudged, as is the Spurs way, and commensurately, so did we.

I keep saying this, but I refuse to believe Levy's just downed shutters and fudged off to Belize or wherever, refusing to spend a penny on proven performers and opting for risky, unproven options. He had to have some sort of back-up plan in mind for when signing Dembele, Dempsey and Sigurdsson went kaput. They were gambles worth making, but one's apparently got the hips of a 70-year-old grandmother from Brixton and the other two are rapidly losing the fans' support, for one reason or another.

So I'm waiting on January. 20th January, to be precise. If we've signed no one decent by then, I'll know Levy's playing his bloody deadline game again, and will cease to care.

Clint Dempsey is looking more and more like a cheap panic buy. Just because he was available for £4m. I'm still not convinced the guy wants to truly play for Spurs and only came because it was better than being frozen out at Fulham and he didnt get his 'dream move' to Anfield.
Dembele has the potential to be a great player for us, but this injury worries me a lot
Sigurdsson. The day I heard we signed him I really, and still, didnt know why we bought him. He looked a decent set-piece taker at Swansea, but as always, we seemed to have removed that from his locker

2 of Isco, Willian or Moutinho is the difference between us and chelski, heck even one of them would make a huuuge difference.

If we were better at keeping posession, the defence wouldn't be exposed as often as it has been at times during the season.

We need another striker and a pacey winger to cover for Lennon/Bale as well, but not as urgent as creativity in midfield/attacking midfield.

But I guess you're right, Levy wont pay the premium that guaranteed quality costs. I believe the money is there, but Levy wont blow it all on one or two players.
I agree with this post in it's entirety but Levy has to push the boat out and back his manager or we will fall back into the pack. Our rivals will strengthen and so must we.

I love Hudd, probably my favourite Spus player but he is killing us defensively. I'd also be critical of Bale defensively but he contributes a lot the other way. I'd stick Tom Carroll on for Hudd in the next match and we'd keep the ball a lot more.

In general I believe Levy is one of the best chairmans in the game, but sometimes you'd wish he would just spend those extra few million quids to close the major deals. The opportunity cost for not getting CL last season could have brought in one impact signing in january that was desperately needed and could've secured 3rd place.

But it seems the transfer strategy is to never pay more than the player's evaluation and not take the opportunity cost of not signing the player into account. Remember how long time it took to close the deal for Vertonghen. Imo he's been the best player this season, imagine if he we missed out because of 1-2M.

We were never going to attract any big name players anyway but we can still find really good players from other leagues that are not household names but can still offer us something superior to what we have now.

That's more like what I meant........was a tough night shift, sorry!!

Agree we need to go deep to find those hidden gems again, ala Modric and Berbatov, purely because the known names will want guaranteed CL.

Maybe an attack on the African market is the way to go? Some of you who follow other leagues may know more, I'm pretty vague on it.

You know, there is a part of me that isn't overly bothered by this. I think his insistence on being greedy is costing us.

Crawley - would you seriously think that if we sold Bale we will use that cash wisely?

People thought we would use the cash from Modric etc on suitable replacements - we did not. We sold Berbatov - we did not use the cash wisely. That is 60m which if we had used wisely could have propelled us.

I actually do not trust Levy in using the cash wisely or on players we need and instead buying crap like Dempsey and Sig.

We were never going to attract any big name players anyway but we can still find really good players from other leagues that are not household names but can still offer us something superior to what we have now.

Do you consider Moutinho and Willian as big names? As both over the summer had said they'd want to join us.

Crawley - would you seriously think that if we sold Bale we will use that cash wisely?

People thought we would use the cash from Modric etc on suitable replacements - we did not. We sold Berbatov - we did not use the cash wisely. That is 60m which if we had used wisely could have propelled us.

I actually do not trust Levy in using the cash wisely or on players we need and instead buying crap like Dempsey and Sig.

The trouble with the likes of Levy is all they're really interested in is business; they haven't ever actually been interested in the game of football. They adopt all the "I'm a Spurs fan" rubbish purely because they regard it as an essential sop to the punters. There's never been a more extreme example than Sugar—he was barely able to conceal his contempt for the playing staff, never mind the fans. All he could see were his Carlos Kickaballs, all the same as each other. Levy might not be quite as ignorant as Sugar, but he clearly shares his fundamental resentment of paying what it actually costs to sign top players.

The trouble with the likes of Levy is all they're really interested in is business; they haven't ever actually been interested in the game of football. They adopt all the "I'm a Spurs fan" rubbish purely because they regard it as an essential sop to the punters. There's never been a more extreme example than Sugar—he was barely able to conceal his contempt for the playing staff, never mind the fans. All he could see were his Carlos Kickaballs, all the same as each other. Levy might not be quite as ignorant as Sugar, but he clearly shares his fundamental resentment of paying what it actually costs to sign top players.

But surely a businessman would see spending 22-24m on a player as a better investment than 14m on two poor players? Firstly the better player will help improve the team, secondly may help to bring in additional revenue by helping us get CL and thirdly a player of a higher quality will maintain his value.

I agree with your sentiments that they are all businessmen and spurs is a business as well as a football club

But surely a businessman would see spending 22-24m on a player as a better investment than 14m on two poor players? Firstly the better player will help improve the team, secondly may help to bring in additional revenue by helping us get CL and thirdly a player of a higher quality will maintain his value.

I agree with your sentiments that they are all businessmen and spurs is a business as well as a football club

I think the problem is they don't really appreciate the difference. They might have someone say, "Well, X is better than Y and Z," but then they look at the difference in what X is going to cost and they think Y and Z must be the better bargain.

You know, there is a part of me that isn't overly bothered by this. I think his insistence on being greedy is costing us.

Losing Bale isn't necessarily the end of the world, but it could be. It depends what we do about it. If we spend the money on average inferior replacements then yes, we will slip further behind. It doesn't take much. A few years ago Aston Villa were a shoe-in for the top-six. They had the likes of Milner, Downing, Barry, Carew, Young, Petrov etc. They gradually sold them and didnt replace them and really reinvest the money they got into the team. Now they're in the delegation mix with a team full of tat and kids

if thats true then what the fcuk happened during the medical???

we all knew we could not keep him forever

I think it is well documented that his girlfriend wants to move to Spain.

Sell to Barca for 45m, not a bad deal

cant see Bale going abroad yet. It will be Man U or Emirates Marketing Project next summer for 50 mill plus

we all knew we could not keep him forever

I think it is well documented that his girlfriend wants to move to Spain.

Sell to Barca for 45m, not a bad deal

Whats the point of selling for 45m when all we will be getting in return is a bunch of Dempseys and Sigs.

I'm sure I've read on more than one occasion that Bale returns to Wales at every opportunity he gets to see his parents and family. If that's so then a move to Spain now or in the near future seems at odds with the fact he still seeks the security of his family which a move abroad would complicate. If he did leave I'd have serious reservations about the money being used correctly with Levy more than likely getting 3 for the price of 1 playing the percentage game in the hope more than one turns out to make a good profit.

Back