• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Immense Struggle to avoid the European Conference League

That manager is going to be under enormous pressure to get a top 4 Finish. I wouldn't be shocked to see them go easy on any European games we might end up with. I kind of think actually getting no Europe might be beneficial to us. I doubt it makes that much of a difference in who we can attract at this point tbh.

I think the opposite: I think the pressure on the new guy to get top 4 will be lower than its been for a few years

Obviously things can change based on the transfer window but I'd expect:
- Liverpool to sign a few as Klopp has said they need new blood
- Saudi Sportswashing Machine obviously will too
- I find it hard to believe Chelsea won't spend big on a CF
- City are City
- Man U have the pulling power given their history and plenty of cash
- Arsenal I hope will have a hangover effect from their run this year like various teams have, plus also will have CL distraction

With that backdrop, plus a manager needing to settle in at Spurs, I think the pressure will be off. Lots of pundits might have us finishing 7th next season

I think the opposite: I think the pressure on the new guy to get top 4 will be lower than its been for a few years

- City are City
- Arsenal I hope will have a hangover effect from their run this year like various teams have, plus also will have CL distraction

With that backdrop, plus a manager needing to settle in at Spurs, I think the pressure will be off. Lots of pundits might have us finishing 7th next season
I doubt that the pressure will be off from the man that matters. Miss CL or look like you might miss CL gets you sacked as manager.

That manager is going to be under enormous pressure to get a top 4 Finish. I wouldn't be shocked to see them go easy on any European games we might end up with. I kind of think actually getting no Europe might be beneficial to us. I doubt it makes that much of a difference in who we can attract at this point tbh.
I don't think that will be the case. If the board is approaching this the right way, the new manager's remit would be to show improvement and consistency regardless of where we finish. How that improvement and consistency will be measured is particularly important, because league position isn't always a good indicator.

I doubt that the pressure will be off from the man that matters. Miss CL or look like you might miss CL gets you sacked as manager.
No, it doesn't. Playing turgid football with no results to show for it, or the performances regressing gets you sacked. Conte wasn't sacked because he looked like he would miss CL. He was sacked because we were performing like brick. Same with Jose. In his last 20 games we were playing like brick. We were actually playing like brick in his first 12 games of the 20/21 season too, but at least had some results to show for it. In the last 20 both the performances and the results were toilet and the fans couldn't see the back of him fast enough.

- City are City

Pundits sure, but what about the man in charge? Here's hoping he has more realistic ambitions for next season. [emoji1696]

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

No, it doesn't. Playing turgid football with no results to show for it, or the performances regressing gets you sacked. Conte wasn't sacked because he looked like he would miss CL. He was sacked because we were performing like brick. Same with Jose. In his last 20 games we were playing like brick. We were actually playing like brick in his first 12 games of the 20/21 season too, but at least had some results to show for it. In the last 20 both the performances and the results were toilet and the fans couldn't see the back of him fast enough.
Conte was sacked because he told a few home truths about the club, immediately after drawing a game that we probably had to win to have a reasonable chance of CL qualification.

Mourinho was sacked because he wanted to rest players in the PL game and perhaps lose a very slim chance of CL qualification to give the best possible chance of winning the Cup final at the weekend.

Conte was sacked because he told a few home truths about the club, immediately after drawing a game that we probably had to win to have a reasonable chance of CL qualification.

Mourinho was sacked because he wanted to rest players in the PL game and perhaps lose a very slim chance if CL qualification to give the best possible chance of winning the Cup final at the weekend.
Didn't 75ish% agree with the sacking in that recent survey (might of been Athletic?)

Mourinho was sacked because he wanted to rest players in the PL game and perhaps lose a very slim chance if CL qualification to give the best possible chance of winning the Cup final at the weekend.
Nothing to do with the fact that he was making out that all the issues were because of everyone else and not taking responsibility for his failure to get the team playing, or the horrible football he has us playing or the recent poor results or the fact that in any line of work if you brick on just about everyone in the company that you work for you're likely to get sacked? Only that there was a chance that we would miss out on 4th?
How come he wasn't sacked last season when it looked like we would miss out?

Nothing to do with the fact that he was making out that all the issues were because of everyone else and not taking responsibility for his failure to get the team playing, or the horrible football he has us playing or the recent poor results or the fact that in any line of work if you brick on just about everyone in the company that you work for you're likely to get sacked? Only that there was a chance that we would miss out on 4th?
How come he wasn't sacked last season when it looked like we would miss out?
Because it didn’t look like we were going to miss out last season and he didn’t call out the owners last season.

Because it didn’t look like we were going to miss out last season and he didn’t call out the owners last season.
Come on, mate, let it go. No one here is saying that Levy is without fault for anything. He's made mistakes along the way. But to blame him for every single thing, is just blinkered. Just as it is blinkered to think that all he wants is top 4. You sound like an intelligent chap. I'm sure you can think about things rationally and not in this knee-jerk fashion.

Come on, mate, let it go. No one here is saying that Levy is without fault for anything. He's made mistakes along the way. But to blame him for every single thing, is just blinkered. Just as it is blinkered to think that all he wants is top 4. You sound like an intelligent chap. I'm sure you can think about things rationally and not in this knee-jerk fashion.
I don’t blame him for every single thing. I think he has done some excellent things for THfC.

I just also happen to think it’s absolutely clear that he sacks managers when they miss out on the CL or look like they will do so.

No need to get nasty.

Didn't 75ish% agree with the sacking in that recent survey (might of been Athletic?)
I'm not really sure what the relevance a survey of fan opinion is?

The fans aren't the ones with the ability to hire and fire. Nor are they the ones involved in the day to day running. I mean if your argument is the fan base largely agreed with sacking him ok, but that same argument can be used over the years when the fan base has largely disagreed with the actions of the board. Whether that was the sacking of coachs (Jol, Poch etc) or not signing players when needed (the year and a half self imposed transfer ban), or even the signing of Saha and Nelson.

Not trying to dredge up old and repetitive conversations but frankly what the fans think is irrelevant and ENIC have shown multiple times over the years that they don't work to the beat of the fan base. They make decision that they rightly or wrongly think are for the best. Fan opinion be dammed.

Now you're having a laugh. He was sacked after 28 games with us in 4th, last year we were 7th after 28 games with Arsenal 3 points ahead and a game in hand. Right up until the last 3 weeks it looked like Arsenal would get 4th until they bottled it.

I'm not really sure what the relevance a survey of fan opinion is?

The fans aren't the ones with the ability to hire and fire. Nor are they the ones involved in the day to day running. I mean if your argument is the fan base largely agreed with sacking him ok, but that same argument can be used over the years when the fan base has largely disagreed with the actions of the board. Whether that was the sacking of coachs (Jol, Poch etc) or not signing players when needed (the year and a half self imposed transfer ban), or even the signing of Saha and Nelson.

Not trying to dredge up old and repetitive conversations but frankly what the fans think is irrelevant and ENIC have shown multiple times over the years that they don't work to the beat of the fan base. They make decision that they rightly or wrongly think are for the best. Fan opinion be dammed.

It was simply that and...

@Finney Is Back thought the reason for sacking was Conte told some home truths about the club.
If a large proportion of fans agreed with those sentiments then 75% wouldn't of agreed with the sacking, they'd of supported Conte.

Back