• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

I actually think Watson opening puts the middle order under a lot of pressure. 35 average is poor but more importantly he just never gets 'in'. You just know he could throw his wicket away at any point.

1wicket to get, 2 overs left tonight, quite ridiculous that everybody will have to come back tomorrow really, im sure both teams wouldve appreciated the extra day off

Cant they declare ???

Swannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny, with 4 balls left...

England win by 347 runs - OUCH !!

2-0, I can hear the fat lady warming up her vocal cords already in terms of the series !!!!

Having 5 out of 6 in the top order with averages in the 30's is pretty poor. Half of them dont even have a test century yet (although they havent all played many test), they dont seem to be able to concentrate properly for more than a few minutes.

I remember in 2009 thinking how weak the touring Australian team were, I imagine because I was used to seeing an Aussie team with 11 world class players. Looking back though they are heads and shoulders ahead of this team. Ponting, Hussey, Katich and Brett Lee have been lost and not replaced.

Funnily enough I almost wish this Australian team were a bit better. Despite the close score in the first game England were still far superior and it showed in this test. The 2005 and 2009 series were so good because they were so competitive, I hope this series gets better but I wouldn't be shocked to see Australia not win any of the 10 tests to be played this year.

I want to hammer the Aussies, same they did to us throughout the 90's and early 00's, competitive cricket is fun to watch but fudge that, I want a hammering !

Don't forget 2006/07. brick that was only 6 years ago. How depressing.

That's whats so weird to my mind, it's only been 6 years and theres only one player left, Clarke.

In just 2 years between the 07 and 09 Ashes series' you lost Hayden, Langer, Martyn, Gilchrist, McGrath and Warne. Do you think some of them should have been left out earlier to give younger players some time with that winning team, or were they all just too good to drop and it was inevitable that they would all retire around the same time and Aus cricket would struggle?

It was a criticism at the time, that too many established players were sticking around past their use by date and not enough was being done to usher in the next generation.

I can't really remember what other options were available at the time, but I do remember that when the spots started to open up it was players like Katich and Haddin who took them. Decent enough players but getting to the end of their own careers so selecting them ahead of younger players hasn't helped.

I rate Siddle but do you really think Harris and Pattinson are better bowlers than Lee a few years ago?

Pattinson will be, Harris is decent. Lee was the beneficiary of having McGrath and Warne strangling things at the other end. Batters loosened up when Lee was bowling as they got nothing at the other end. Hence, he took a few cheap wickets.

Bowlers like Jason Gillespie and Stuart Clark were far better.

It was a criticism at the time, that too many established players were sticking around past their use by date and not enough was being done to usher in the next generation.

I can't really remember what other options were available at the time, but I do remember that when the spots started to open up it was players like Katich and Haddin who took them. Decent enough players but getting to the end of their own careers so selecting them ahead of younger players hasn't helped.

Just look it up, had no idea Haddin was 35! This is why I'm actually quite happy Root got a chance at the top of the order ahead of Compton. Trott, Pietersen and Bell are 33, 32 and 31 respectively so you'll expect them all to retire around the same time, and Compton is already 30. If Compton does end up opening the batting, we could end up in a similar situation with our #2,3,4 and 5 all retiring in the space of a couple years together, along with Anderson and Swann.

I feel like we need to get our #6 position sorted ASAP so we can start bedding in a young player for the inevitable higher order retirees.

Pattinson will be, Harris is decent. Lee was the beneficiary of having McGrath and Warne strangling things at the other end. Batters loosened up when Lee was bowling as they got nothing at the other end. Hence, he took a few cheap wickets.

Clark was a quality bowler who was perfect for English conditions.

he had an amazing average but got dropped for being too old I believe.

Clark was a quality bowler who was perfect for English conditions.

he had an amazing average but got dropped for being too old I believe.

I actually think the Aussies have a decent bowling attack. Not quite top class but certainly not poor anyway.

'Australia fast bowler James Pattinson is ruled out of the rest of the Ashes series with stress fracture of the lower back'

That's a blow you could ill afford..

Edit: Quote from bbc sport ticker.

Back