• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The build-up to World Cup 2014 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for me, it was a very strange decision not to include Seidou Doumbia in Ivory Coast final squad. He became RPL top goalscorer, scoring 18(4) in 22 matches (86.7 min per goal). Judging current form, I'll say he is nation's 2nd best striker after Bony.

As for me, it was a very strange decision not to include Seidou Doumbia in Ivory Coast final squad. He became RPL top goalscorer, scoring 18(4) in 22 matches (86.7 min per goal). Judging current form, I'll say he is nation's 2nd best striker after Bony.

Drogba?

Didnt realise Defoe wasnt in the WC Squad - ****in hell. Think he should have gone. Always good for a goal or two especially when defences are tiring with 15-20 mins to go. Wellbeck is in there and that says it all, decent players but always seems to take the more difficult choice than doing something simple.

Serves him right. He did himself out of the squad when he made the ludicrous decision to go Toronto, mid season, when he could just have waited a couple of months and gone there now instead.

Serves him right. He did himself out of the squad when he made the ludicrous decision to go Toronto, mid season, when he could just have waited a couple of months and gone there now instead.

I suspect he went to play more and actually go to the world cup. I dont think Woy would have picked him anyways unfortunately.

I suspect he went to play more and actually go to the world cup. I dont think Woy would have picked him anyways unfortunately.

There was at least 5 or 6 prem teams desperate for a striker which he could have walked into, on a short term loan. If he was banging in prem goals from Jan to May i've no doubt he would have been picked. The last place he needed to go at that time was Toronto.

But he did.

Defoe's been rifling the ball home with gusto for Toronto, scoring six times in seven games. Had two this past weekend, one a first-touch blast with his left foot. Drilled a beauty top shelf for the winner against New York. Add those two to the clinical pair he scored in Seattle on his debut and you've got a nice set of goals that would have been good in any league.

He said he was devastated not to make the WC squad and that this would give him ever greater motivation. He's been outstanding already.

I get a Germany - Argentina final, Brazil spain in the 3/4, England out in the quarter finals to Brazil

114 of the 736 players participating in the 2014 FIFA World Cup Finals are affiliated to English Clubs.

Bayern Munich have 15 players at the 2014 FIFA World Cup Finals, Manchester United have 14 & Barcelona have 13.

There are 7 Tottenham Hotspur players, three down on the club's total for the 2010 World Cup Finals.

296 different clubs from 52 National Leagues supplied the players for the 2014 World Cup Finals.

FIFA World Cup Finals 2014 Player Details with Club & National League Affiliations

Brazil on the river now iif you're feeling football withdrawal symptoms. Ref has that can of spray paint for marking the wall location.

Brazil on the river now iif you're feeling football withdrawal symptoms. Ref has that can of spray paint for marking the wall location.

i love the spray paint. but why did the ref let the brazil players stand on the line? shouldn't he have forced them to get their feet behind it?

I think Spain might struggle in this World Cup. Their style of football is becoming antiquated, replaced by the style of pace and power.

We saw what happened in Bayern v Real Madrid, I see it happening again in the World Cup.

Spain will not reach the World Cup Final. I'm tempted on backing them not to qualify from their group. It is likely a losing bet but I wouldn't be totally shocked if it happened. Chile are well drilled & have some good key players whilst the Netherlands I believe will top their group.

Will Spain make a fool of me by once again displaying grand prowess, we'll have to wait and see.

I think Spain might struggle in this World Cup. Their style of football is becoming antiquated, replaced by the style of pace and power.

We saw what happened in Bayern v Real Madrid, I see it happening again in the World Cup.

Spain will not reach the World Cup Final. I'm tempted on backing them not to qualify from their group. It is likely a losing bet but I wouldn't be totally shocked if it happened. Chile are well drilled & have some good key players whilst the Netherlands I believe will top their group.

Will Spain make a fool of me by once again displaying grand prowess, we'll have to wait and see.

Spain won't struggle in my view. I think it will be like 2010 World Cup where many thought they'd "flop" - they started that tournament with a loss to Switzerland too I believe, but they started to adapt throughout the World Cup, they won't rip teams apart at the World Cup but they'll dominate possession and they have the talent (much better than Bayern) to cut teams apart, especially those in the group.

Interesting that you mentioned the CL game though as opposed to the Confed Cup where Brazil TORE them apart in the final, a Brazil team many probably wouldnt have expected to do that.

Speaking of Switzerland from earlier, I think they'll be a surprise package, ridiculously talented young side, I think they'll win their group and get to the last 8.

Good point about the Confederations Cup, I'd completely forgotten about it. :oops:

They do have the players to achieve success but I'm just unsure on them right now. I'm not going to bet on them to fail to qualify as, with odds of 4/1 to get knocked out at group stage, there is no value. I think it's more likely that they'll qualify than they won't but I'm just not expecting big things from them.

Switzerland could certainly surprise people, as you've said, they have a good number of excellent players and are a well organised team of players.

How can Switzerland get to the last 8 though? If I'm right with the format of the tournament, isn't it likely that Switzerland will play Argentina in the Second round? After all, I can't see Switzerland topping their group.

How can Switzerland get to the last 8 though? If I'm right with the format of the tournament, isn't it likely that Switzerland will play Argentina in the Second round? After all, I can't see Switzerland topping their group.

Well I can see Switzerland topping group so most likely to play Bosnia. Swiss/Argie would be good though, entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back