• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tennis thread

Federe is by far the greatest in terms of achievements.......Nadal needs more variety to his game and more wins off Clay courts to come close.

I agree saying he wouldn't be the same player without his athleticism is complete rubbish.......that's like saying Sampras would have been brick without his amazing serve!! :)

Sampras wouldn't have been brick, but there's no way he would have been as good. Didn't he once beat Agassi at the US Open without breaking his serve?

There's no doubt Nadal grinds his opponent down. It must be so demoralising playing him and seeing him retrieve every ball.

Sampras wouldn't have been brick, but there's no way he would have been as good. Didn't he once beat Agassi at the US Open without breaking his serve?

There's no doubt Nadal grinds his opponent down. It must be so demoralising playing him and seeing him retrieve every ball.

Ferrer does this as well, top top athleticism.

Missed 2009 - don't know what I was thinking.

Look at it another way: http://www.tennis28.com/studies/Federer_Nadal.html

Fed v Nadal at same age. Again take away the French Open, it's not even a debate. And I can take away the FO because it is a specialized tournament that in the last 20 years is dominated by players from Spanish or similar regions who have concentrated on that surface. Take out Federer's Wimbledon wins as well and he's still dominating.

I agree that Nadal has to put some other slams on the table in the next 2-3 years to be widely considered as the overall best player but I feel he has more chance of doing that than Federer has of pulling away. I really think that had he not won Wimbledon and then if the US open hadn't gone his way then retirement may well have been on horizon towards the end of next season. You all know who I will be rooting for anyway!

First time ive actually posted in this thread, pretty refreshing to see quite alot of people with quite alot of different views on Tennis.

I think Federer knows now that he has to win a few more slams just to be safe. Like I said, Nadal was ahead of Federer in slams by age comparison, but it's pretty much equal now. I don't see Nadal winning 7 more, and that is assuming Federer doesn't win any more.

I think Nadal relies on his physical attributes more than Federer does. Federer is not quite as good/dominant as he was at his true peak, but he still hits amazing shots at 30 and he is still the most intelligent player in the world. It's impresive that Federer has reclaimed no.1 because once tennis players start to decline, it's all downhill, they don't normally decline and then improve again! It's going to be hard for Nadal to dominate in a few years when once some new younger players come on the scene, tennis is a young mans sport on the whole.

I agree that Nadal has to put some other slams on the table in the next 2-3 years to be widely considered as the overall best player but I feel he has more chance of doing that than Federer has of pulling away. I really think that had he not won Wimbledon and then if the US open hadn't gone his way then retirement may well have been on horizon towards the end of next season. You all know who I will be rooting for anyway!

First time ive actually posted in this thread, pretty refreshing to see quite alot of people with quite alot of different views on Tennis.

You could well be right. That win must have revitalised him. His first slam in two and a half years. If he had lost, he might have thought you know what, I can't compete with these young guys anymore. No shame in losing to Nadal or Djokovic in a final, but he's always been very dominant against Murray.

Couldn't do it to the SPARTAN!! AKA Murray! :)

All the guys on tour have their respective strengths and play to them.

Ferrer's consistency is amazing!

Hehe, not second time of asking anyway. Amazing to see him play so well on grass though. I honestly think if Murray had lost the second set he would have crumbled as at that point Ferrer was sucking up everything he threw at him. I actually think Murray had one of the best tournaments I've seen him in, and I'm not just saying that because he made the final. He usually gives himself such a hard run in that he's fudged by the semi's but he managed to play well all the way through this time, even with his slow starts.

Hopefully people will realise what we have and be thankful.....because the mens side is utter brick without him.

Women is a cause for optimism with 4 women in the top 100 or there abouts

Bit late, but Nadal out of US Open.

I didn't ever think he would beat Federer's grand slam record, this confirms it IMO. Injuries will stop him getting close to 17 slams.

Yeah. Played poorly. Although Chardy is in career best form. He played Querrey off the court the day before. It's a big adjustment for a player who has played on grass for 6 weeks

Carrying a bit of a knee injury at the moment as well. Won't hurt to have some extra rest days for the US open

Wish I was at the US Open this year! Desperate to go back again.

I see next year they are doing away with the Super Saturday format of playing the mens semis on Saturday followed by the final on Sunday. About time.

Back