• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They paid 40m

ok then:~, so they will sell him for the exact amount they bought him for despite him proving himself in a bigger league and winning another european trophy with a matching winning performance???

its not right that Walker seems to be suggesting that the new manager is in effect on trial...

seriously, what gives him the right. He is a kid

I understand where you're coming from but I thnk you're also taking his comment slightly out of context.

Doubt many are holding a grudge or personal prejudice against him (ignore the flimflam in the media and some forums) - more a case of buying into each-other's philosphies and systems. Every new manager would want to / try to implement his system throughout the club, from youth levels to the very top and everyone needs to buy into that in order to achieve consistency and ultimately - success. Look at Wenger, Rodgers and Swansea, Lambert, etc. I think that's what Walker's referring to - not a probation period, per se

Last edited:
ok then:~, so they will sell him for the exact amount they bought him for despite him proving himself in a bigger league and winning another european trophy with a matching winning performance???

That's roughly what he's worth in terms of his buy out clause - the rest is of very little relevance in Spain

its not right that Walker seems to be suggesting that the new manager is in effect on trial...

seriously, what gives him the right. He is a kid

I think you're reading far, far too much into it, fella. It's just a turn of phrase which was clearly meant to be a positive expression of support for AVB. If he was really suggesting that he considered AVB to be on trial and that the players were only withholding judgement for now, then it wouldn't fit at all with everything else he said in the interview.

I understand where you're coming from but I thnk you're also taking his comment slightly out of context.

Doubt many are holding a grudge or personal prejudice against him (ignore the flimflam in the media and some forums) - more a case of buying into each-other's philosphies and systems. Every new manager would want to / try to implement his system throughout the club, from youth levels to the very top and everyone needs to buy into that in order to achieve consistency and ultimately - success. Look at Wenger, Rodgers and Swansea, Lambert, etc. I think that's what Walker's referring to - not a probation period, per se

if ever a manager needs a good start in his new job its AVB. The press are waiting to pounce on him, the players are curious to see how things develop, it really does seem like he wont be allowed a honeymoon period to implement his ideas. These things really do take time, but i dont see AVB getting that time. Its a very bizarre situation, the pressure is immense

Hopefully you are right and the players are not giving AVB a probation period to test how they like him and his methods. He has been appointed by Levy, he has been given a 3 year contract, if i was a player i wouldnt dare mention anything about giving my new manager a chance. I would simply get my head down and work my nuts to impress him, absorb like a sponge all his ideas and tactics, and simply enjoy working with a new manager who has been very successful in his short career. If things dont go so well for the team, then its for the chairman to decide what to do, not for me or any other player to come to the assessment that the chance has been given and things arent working out so its time for a change

I think you're reading far, far too much into it, fella. It's just a turn of phrase which was clearly meant to be a positive expression of support for AVB. If he was really suggesting that he considered AVB to be on trial and that the players were only withholding judgement for now, then it wouldn't fit at all with everything else he said in the interview.

ok, il trust that Walker didnt mean anything by that comment.

@Moose_talkSPORT: Just looking into some interesting Spurs transfer news

@Moose_talkSPORT: Spurs gossip 1) Emmanuel Adebayor deal to be done next week 2)Been told Hugo Lloris is to join Spurs (despite what AVB hinted the other day)

@Moose_talkSPORT: Spurs gossip 3)Tottenham to make what I've been told told is a "major" signing - I dont know who yet but person who told me was mega excited

@Moose_talkSPORT: Could be Mouthinho but it was hinted to me it could PLUS him not just him @DropThePete

@Moose_talkSPORT: It was hinted the major Spurs signing will be a striker - poss one AVB has worked with before at Porto - as I said I dont know who it is yet

@Moose_talkSPORT: Kaka wouldnt be a suprise to Spurs I have to admit @JBackshall

@Moose_talkSPORT: If I had to GUESS at this striker for Spurs I'd go for one of Hulk, Falcoa or Kaka but I may be miles off the mark as I have not been told

Also hinted in this cryptic from Akqayid on teletext:

The French became close when the Tunnel opened. It become a lot closer tonight. #SCITK

this could mean Modric to PSG, Lloris to Spurs, Remy to Spurs, or even the PSG owners possibly taking a stake in Tottenham

I think people are taking what Walker said out of context. I took 'giving AVB a chance' to mean that they will not judge him by what happened at Chelsea and will give him a fair shake without prejudice.

TBH I'm getting sick of every interview with Spurs players, manager etc being about feckin Chelsea. Yesterday our new manager gave a press conference but all the headlines were about Abramovich and Chelsea. Do the media realise Chelsea are not the only club on the planet or what????? It's pathetic!

if ever a manager needs a good start in his new job its AVB. The press are waiting to pounce on him, the players are curious to see how things develop, it really does seem like he wont be allowed a honeymoon period to implement his ideas. These things really do take time, but i dont see AVB getting that time. Its a very bizarre situation, the pressure is immense

I would actually argue he'd be given a lot more time to implement his ideas / systems with us than he was at Chelsea plus the pressure is far, far less compared to a club where anything but 1st is a failure it seems. I'd go as far and suggest a single transitional season (Top 6 finish) would be acceptable is the signs are there and we are moving in the right direction.

It's time for Levy to back the manager up properly and unconditionally

Last edited:
@Moose_talkSPORT: Just looking into some interesting Spurs transfer news

@Moose_talkSPORT: Spurs gossip 1) Emmanuel Adebayor deal to be done next week 2)Been told Hugo Lloris is to join Spurs (despite what AVB hinted the other day)

@Moose_talkSPORT: Spurs gossip 3)Tottenham to make what I've been told told is a "major" signing - I dont know who yet but person who told me was mega excited

@Moose_talkSPORT: Could be Mouthinho but it was hinted to me it could PLUS him not just him @DropThePete

@Moose_talkSPORT: It was hinted the major Spurs signing will be a striker - poss one AVB has worked with before at Porto - as I said I dont know who it is yet

@Moose_talkSPORT: Kaka wouldnt be a suprise to Spurs I have to admit @JBackshall

@Moose_talkSPORT: If I had to GUESS at this striker for Spurs I'd go for one of Hulk, Falcoa or Kaka but I may be miles off the mark as I have not been told

FALCAO????????

OMG yes feckin please!!!!

I would actually argue he'd be given a lot more time to implement his ideas / systems with us than he was at Chelsea plus the pressure is far, far less compared to a club where anything but 1st is a failure it seems. I'd go as far and suggest a single transitional season (Top 6 finish) would be acceptable is the signs are there and we are moving in the right direction.

It's time for Levy to back him up proper and

the problem is that the press have already latched onto AVB's comments that he has inherited a great set of players and he expects the club to continue its rise and actually challenge for the title as soon as possible.

the problem is that the press have already latched onto AVB's comments that he has inherited a great set of players and he expects the club to continue its rise and actually challenge for the title as soon as possible.

They can go fudge themselves - all that matters is whether Levy feels AVB is matching his ambitions

Real Madrid close to £35m Modric deal but Tottenham approach for Moutinho hits the buffers

Spurs are nearing a deal with the Spanish champions to sell their midfielder but are struggling in their search for a replacement, with the Porto star valued at £30m by his club

EXCLUSIVE
By Greg Stobart

Real Madrid hope to complete a £35 million deal for Luka Modric in the next week but Tottenham are facing difficulties in lining up a replacement for the playmaker.

Talks over Modric's departure from Spurs have stepped up this week and the Spanish giants have increased their initial £28m bid as they move to land their top summer target.

The offer on the table is believed to be worth around £35m plus performance-related add-ons, while the possibility of a player-exchange is also being discussed.

Ricardo Carvalho, the former Chelsea defender, has been suggested as a makeweight while midfielder Nuri Sahin may yet move to White Hart Lane on a season-long loan despite rejecting the possibility of a permanent transfer.

Sahin is desperate to stay at the Bernabeu next season but is likely to find his opportunities limited, especially with Modric's anticipated arrival, and Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho could push the Turkish star towards the exit.

Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea have also made contact with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy regarding Modric but the 26-year-old is understood to have told the Londoners he has his heart set on a move to the La Liga champions.

Indeed, sources in Spain have suggested the Croat has already agreed a four-year contract worth around £120,000-a-week as he pursues his target of winning trophies and playing regularly in the Champions League.

All parties are confident that a deal will go through but Spurs are eager to line up a replacement before sanctioning the transfer of their star midfielder.

Joao Moutinho, the Porto playmaker, is the club’s main target after new head coach Andre Villas-Boas lost out to his former club Chelsea in the race for £22m-rated Internacional star Oscar.

Moutinho, 25, is understood to have told Porto he wants to re-unite with Villas-Boas but the Portuguese club are refusing to drop their £30m asking price.

Tottenham value the former Sporting star at around £20m but hope that a compromise can be reached during talks planned in the coming days as they look to complete their transfer business before their pre-season tour of the United States

Fourth Official ‏@FourthOfficial_
Giovanni Dos Santos is in talks with Swansea

Back