• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer Targets - choose 4 - You are the Manager.

We need more than 4 in to shape our team and squad better; Caulker and Naughton will hopefully fix some of our squad-depth, but the balance between what we have and what we need isn't a sign of job well done Redknapp.

But 4 positions most in need of something before next season:

1 - First choice forward
2 - First choice left back
3 - First choice keeper
4 - First choice centerback

wouldn't say we are in desperate need for either 2 or 3 personally

We need forwards, wouldn't mind going for two who can cover flanks as well as play the lone role.

Jan Vertonghen
Loic Remy
Olivier Giroud
Andriy Yarmolenko

Sorry, I don't see any available englishmen good enough to strenghten us immediately.
Wouldn't be against signing Nathan Redmond, Nick Powell, Harry Maguire etc. for the future though.
And I'm also among those who are willing to give our own youth their opportunity:
Kane, Smith, Caulker, Bostock, Carroll, Townsend, Parrett ..

I'm not sold on Remy tbh. Has a pretty average goalscoring record. Could be another Chamakh.

Chamakh has been broken by Wenger who haven't played to his strenght.
Fallen through yes, but not given much of a chance neither.
Remy for me is much better though, no surprise he's become a regular France international.

1 in 2 isn't that average, some score more in a "lesser league", but it's still decent if he has the qualities and attributes we need in our team. It's his versatility to play both up front alone or in a duo and being able to play out wide that makes him interesting for me. Buying a pure 9 I would also look elsewhere.

Suitable to our play, covers more than one position, and could be part financed by a Defoe sale.
It's a no brainer for me.

176 games 66 goals, I don't think that's too impressive considering it's the French League. I might be wrong about him.

goal stats don't tell half the story - what was Berbatovs record in Germany ? bet it wasn't more than 1 in 2 - what about Kezman, had nearly a 1 in 1 record in Holland but couldn't score in a brothel over here

must be some strong whispers... could've sworn he just won Dutch footballer of the year
yes because winning that accolade in a micky mouse league is definately going to prove that you got it all .

please......have you seen him play? say something substantial about him

What was it about Modric? What was it about Berbatov? What was it about Sandro?

I've seen Vertonghen a couple of times, both times he's looked good.

You read things,
you hear things,
he wins Eredivisie player of the season,
he's linked with other big clubs,
he's a regular for his national side,

it's not a stretch to think he'd be a good signing even if you haven't actually watched him yourself. But whatever, buy Richard Dunne because you know he's "proven".

you see this is the problem i have with this vertonghen thing

most of what you mention there is a by-product of good marketing, promotion, advertising, agent work and european league exposure

i will say one thing though...the reliability of what you hear and what you read is probably the most important thing out there. what have you heard and read and where or who was it from? i.e is your source someone that you think knows their stuff?

playing for his national side? how good are they? is he good enough to oust vermalen or kompany from the CB position? have they shoe horned him into the side somewhere?

another thing, in that united game he looked sluggish..i take it he hasnt really got pace? is he a reader of the game? if so why that many noticeable errors in the united game?

he looked a good ball player but thats not what we are primarily looking for is it?

i'm yet to hear or get pointed to anything concrete about this guy that says he's worth losing sleep over

right now i would have prefered BOTH samba and cahill to him. plus i bet both those players walk into the dutch national side

He looked clumsy as fudge in that game to me. Tbh i'd say i've seen him maximum 3 times and he looked good in 1 of those games but i've bought into the hype.

my thoughts exactly. it was like when people said we were missing out on Kuyt (i actually think he was very overrated and now he is very UNDER rated)...after seeing him with my own eyes i could have told you he wouldnt set the planet on fire..

i havent seen nearly enough of this vertonghen guy but practically no one here has either and people are going insane over him and it sounds a bit ...i hate to patronise the views of grown men cause its an opinion and its as valid as the next person...but this whole hooplah sounds like the kind of buzz you get from good movie trailers and other celebrities telling you to go out and watch a particular movie. its always best to get the review from someone you trust

a ball playing CB is exactly what we're looking for ?

why? why not just play thudd there then?

i thought we were looking for a vidic, a terry (prime), a kompany.

rocks that position themselves expertly and know how to marshal zones completely...and fudging own ariel balls from corners and set pieces and long kicks.

i want a guy that makes the back line seem like a wall.

i was under the impression thats what we were looking for..a leader or at the very least a beast

why? why not just play thudd there then?

i thought we were looking for a vidic, a terry (prime), a kompany.

rocks that position themselves expertly and know how to marshal zones completely...and fudging own ariel balls from corners and set pieces and long kicks.

i want a guy that makes the back line seem like a wall.

i was under the impression thats what we were looking for..a leader or at the very least a beast

my guess is Kaboul is safe in his position and we are looking for a more Ledley esque partner for him

Back