• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Reminiscing about past World Cups

I really enjoyed the 1986 WC in Mexico. Everything about that WC was brilliant, including all the TV ads that time. And there were so many great teams and players in that WC. Teams like Brazil, France, Argentina and Soviet Union played some fantastic football then. Ofcourse, who can forget the brilliance of Maradona ! Being a fan of Argentina, naturally it was really satisfying to see them beating West Germany in the final.

The Fifa official world cup film from 78 is on BBC 2 RIGHT now

1982 tomorrow morning at 0750 on BBC2

Loving these films

The 1990 and 1994 tournaments were magic to me as a kid. Pure magic. I still remember pretty much every goal scored in '94 as I've seen the replays so many times. My family is part Swedish, and I was in Sweden when they took the bronze in '94, was great fun. Still remember that semi-final against Brazil, the entire country stood still that day, it seemed.

Swedish TV also make some fantastic reviews of the world cups. They manage to tell the story of the tournament really well. Quite a few of them are up on Youtube. In Swedish, of course, but it's mostly clips from all the matches, so can easily be enjoyed regardless, I imagine.

[video=youtube;-IoOF_VSVeI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IoOF_VSVeI[/video]

[video=youtube;NL5q4HnQVNk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL5q4HnQVNk[/video]

[video=youtube;SSMcLDgj7-g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSMcLDgj7-g[/video]

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the 1986 WC in Mexico. Everything about that WC was brilliant, including all the TV ads that time. And there were so many great teams and players in that WC. Teams like Brazil, France, Argentina and Soviet Union played some fantastic football then. Ofcourse, who can forget the brilliance of Maradona ! Being a fan of Argentina, naturally it was really satisfying to see them beating West Germany in the final.

Agree with the above, bar the last sentence!

Agree with the above, bar the last sentence!

You must be a England fan then !:lol:
Can understand your frustration about the "Hand Of GHod" goal. But all the neutrals will agree that Argentina was the best team in that 1986 WC and deserved to win the Cup. It was a real honour to watch one of the greatest football player ever, Maradona, leading his team to win the WC. Even the Final between Argentina and West Germany was one of the best ever. Argentina took an early 2-0 lead but W.Germany pulled back to tie 2-2, only for Maradona to set up the crucial goal to win 3-2. All the Final matches since then have been boring boring ones.

Great thread.

My older brothers were in London for the 1966 final and my parents still have the books filled with stickers of each player in the tournament. I was born in 1968, so I grew up hearing about Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Jeff Hurst, etc.

The first WC I have any memory of was 1978 in Argentina. Though at that time in the U.S. all we got for coverage were news stories about the tournament being held and scenes of Argentina's poor huddled around storefront windows watching the matches on the display sets. My older brother got invited by some Dutch neighbors, to watch the final in a movie theater that a local Dutch group had gotten specially arranged. Even the final was not shown here on regular TV, though at the time we only had 4-5 channels total. (GHod I sound like an old coot)

The first WC I watched (and still my favorite) was 1982 in Spain. My lasting memory of that tournament was seeing Brazil play and thinking to myself, "**** that looks nothing like the way I play the game." They were a revelation and we (my brothers and I) would watch a match and then go outside and kick a ball around until the next one started.

First World Cup I can remember is the 2002 World Cup. Is easily the best one I've seen, Ireland reached the quarters, England did as well and Turkey and South Korea surprised everyone by reaching the semis.

The 2006 World Cup was OK but when the most memorable moment is a headbutt by a player I think it shows it could have been better.

The 2010 World Cup was the most boring World Cup and indeed tournament I've ever had the mispleasure of seeing. I watched every game I could and saw all knockout ties and group games except the last set of group games where they were played at the same time.

Even Spain didn't seem like worthy winners to me. They didn't play great football but were still the best of an uninspiring bunch.

So far this World Cup has been better for me than 2010 but still remains to be seen just how good this one will go down as.

For me, Italia 90 is the World Cup. When I think World Cup, I think Maradona, Batistuta, Baresi, Klinsmann, Voeller, Matthaus, Van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard, Koeman, Lineker, Shilton and others.

We used to rent a VHS of the highlights every school holidays. That Argentina v Cameroon game sticks in the memory, especially that moment mentioned before where Cannigia was taken out by about 3 different Cameroon players. And of course that towering header from Oman-Biyik.

Other game which sticks out from that video was Belgium v England. That Gazza free kick and Platt's volley. A severely under-rated goal.

Also Holland v Germany and the infamous send off of Voeller and Rijkaard and the spit.

And of course the semi and the moment where Gazza became more than a bloody good footballer. The world cried with him and it was such a shame he couldn't get you guys to the final. Payback for the hand of GHod would have been an epic setting for the final.

But my fondest memory is the very first football match I can recall watching. UAE v Colombia. I think it was Valderama which makes this game stand out. I know I watched games previously but this is the first I can remember where I watched it, what the shoreline was, who one of the key players was and that I enjoyed it. And it's why I bloody love the world cup. Who would have thought a second rate South American team v Middle Eastern bunnies would have provided one of the most entertaining games of the tournament.

Out of interest, how many people's favourite world cup is not their first?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fapatalk

probably, I knew 86 was happening but didn't get it until 90

the fact that the 2 star players for England played for us as well helped, and that we did so well in it

probably, I knew 86 was happening but didn't get it until 90

the fact that the 2 star players for England played for us as well helped, and that we did so well in it
Similar for me. Earlier in the thread I picked out 86. I remember 82 but I was too young to really appreciate it.

The 86 FIFA World Cup film is on BBC2 now, so I assume it will be on the iPlayer for a week. It's narrated by Michael Caine.

I have vague memories of the 82 World Cup but this is the first one that I really remember.

I can just about recall bits of Mexico '86 (still have the BBC and ITV theme tunes on vinyl somewhere) but Italia 90 was the first World Cup finals I really got engrossed in and can't help but feel nostalgic about the glory days of Gazza and Lineker (plus Waddle who only left the previous summer) starring for England as we got so close (but so far) to reaching the final.

[video=youtube;kphDelxlbuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kphDelxlbuc[/video]

[video=youtube;loQhuKL_kZ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loQhuKL_kZ8[/video]

Similar for me. Earlier in the thread I picked out 86. I remember 82 but I was too young to really appreciate it.

Snap. I can remember watching 82 and can remember my father talking about Rossi, Rummenigge, Kempes, Platini, Socrates, Zico et el but is wasn't until 86 that I was really into it. After Josimar scored that bullet of a shot myself and my brother went straight down to the playing field to try and recreate it.
Loved Italia 90. I had just finished my GCSEs and was working in a pub kitchen over the summer. We had a small tv set up in the kitchen and loved when the pub was quiet. My Mum and stepdad hate football but even they really got into it during Italia 90, my Mum even cried along with Gazza.
Who remembers this? I still get a tear in my eye when I hear it.

[video=youtube_share;vqzz7B7V2IE]http://youtu.be/vqzz7B7V2IE[/video]

Hearing Nessun Dorma will always send shivers down my spine. 1990 was really my entrance to the World of football. Nessun Dorma was the primary World Cup theme & consequently, it's stuck with me. Almost sends a tear down my cheek as I look back on memories of times that have passed between then & now. I could digress but, instead, I'll just say that the World Cup was a magical experience for me, from listening to Argentina's defeat by Cameroon, on the radio, to jumping up & down in the front room with delight at David Platt's winner against Belgium and, of course, the tears as England crashed out of the World Cup on penalties.

I remember the Pannini sticker book. I remember the large green fold-out World Cup supplements. I had an argument with my parents, they wouldn't buy me one of the supplements. I later discovered that this was due to them wanting to buy the supplement for my birthday!!

I fell in love with football with the 1990 World Cup. That World Cup will never be beaten for me; not due to the quality of football but, instead the personal emotions and experiences that I lived through during that month in June 1990.

I guess World Cup is not just about football or sports. They are part of life which you have to come across while you are growing up. They are a welcome break from the hardship of daily life. Feeling a bid sad this WC is going to finish soon.

Back