• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Redknapp

On the contrary I rate both those managers very highly indeed, that's why I mentioned them. Fact is though they are very much untried at this level, ipso facto they could fall flat on their faces. It happens.

I notice you copped out of naming anyone with a nice little body swerve there but you failed the challenge.

I've read through every post in this thread and no one has yet put forward a name that fulfils all my criteria.

I'm not pro or anti Harry though, I feel pretty much neutral about the whole thing. We had a good first half of the season, but we messed up in the second half.

As for naming a manager that fulfils your criteria, your criteria are all personal opinions, therefore other people may feel that the managers they name do fulfil your criteria. Thus the whole pointlessness of this thread..

I'm not pro or anti Harry though, I feel pretty much neutral about the whole thing. We had a good first half of the season, but we messed up in the second half.

As for naming a manager that fulfils your criteria, your criteria are all personal opinions, therefore other people may feel that the managers they name do fulfil your criteria. Thus the whole point of this thread..

A step-over this time eh? Nice one, except you're still copping out. It's quite straightforward, really. Name any manager out there who would come to Spurs and could be expected to outperform Redknapp results-wise AND entertainment-wise. Until you can do that you should be careful what you wish for.

A step-over this time eh? Nice one, except you're still copping out. It's quite straightforward, really. Name any manager out there who would come to Spurs and could be expected to outperform Redknapp results-wise AND entertainment-wise. Until you can do that you should be careful what you wish for.

I know the question wasn't aimed at me, but I'll say the name I've been championing for over a year, Louis Van Gaal.

On the contrary I rate both those managers very highly indeed, that's why I mentioned them. Fact is though they are very much untried at this level, ipso facto they could fall flat on their faces. It happens.

I notice you copped out of naming anyone with a nice little body swerve there but you failed the challenge.

I've read through every post in this thread and no one has yet put forward a name that fulfils all my criteria.

OK.

This won't happen I don't imagine due to the fact the media have tainted him beyond belief) but my main choice would be AVB.
Give him 3 years minimum, give him the set-up he wants and let him work. I think he will develop into an excellent manager, and I think he learnt a lot about man-management/how to engage in it/how to deal with older players at Chelski.
He would be a choice for now AND the future.
We cannot ever rely on Harry to be loyal. That is absolutely abundantly clear.

Seriously? Have you even read any of those posts? I should be careful what i wish for?

If you had been reading those posts, you'd have noticed i am not really wishing for anything. I'm fine if he stays, and i'm fine if he goes.

Couldn't care less either way.

Edit: You also seem to fail to grasp that different people have different opinions.

Last edited:
OK.

This won't happen I don't imagine due to the fact the media have tainted him beyond belief) but my main choice would be AVB.
Give him 3 years minimum, give him the set-up he wants and let him work. I think he will develop into an excellent manager, and I think he learnt a lot about man-management/how to engage in it/how to deal with older players at Chelski.
He would be a choice for now AND the future.
We cannot ever rely on Harry to be loyal. That is absolutely abundantly clear.

he's our longest serving manager since Venables

You know what makes me laugh in all of this? The simple fact that neither our manager, or his more vociferous defenders, can admit he's done anything wrong! We ALL know he's done some very very good things, further we ALL know he dropped the ball in vital areas in the second-half of the season, yet he is unable to hold his hands up and say he could've done better.
That's down to one of two things.
A) he really believes he did the very best he could, in which case I am genuinely concerned, and I mean genuinely.
B) he is protecting the legacy of Harry Redknapp Inc. as best he can.

I know what I think.

Again, if Levy decides not to cut his losses, the manager will get my full support as an optimistic supporter of Tottenham Hotspur, and for no other reason than that...

nothing to do with the players then?

the ones that run around the pitch, scoring or not............ all down to the Manager

I can only conclude from this that you have never played football in your life. Or that you are so desperate for him to go that you will cling to any theory to back up your belief that he is unfit to manage this team. Despite the evidence to the contrary (ie the last 3 league finishes being the best in 50 years.)

Now thats laughable, for us vociferous defenders (who can see the bad but recognise that its outweighed by the good.)

I actually wish he would go now, just so I can say - told you so! As we do a fine impersonation of Aston Villa.

and you want AVB, the man who singularly transformed the multimillionaires at Chelsea in to a mid table team. You did see what happened to them when Di Mattteo took over, didn't you? The guy who wasn't good enough for West Brom won 2 cups with the same players.

and no, I don't (really) want to see us fighting relegation, just so I can say I told you so - if he goes I will be right behind whoever takes over, and if its AVB, whoever comes in and clears his mess up!

Most of all, I hate this stupid division that its all causing.

nothing to do with the players then?

the ones that run around the pitch, scoring or not............ all down to the Manager

I can only conclude from this that you have never played football in your life. Or that you are so desperate for him to go that you will cling to any theory to back up your belief that he is unfit to manage this team. Despite the evidence to the contrary (ie the last 3 league finishes being the best in 50 years.)

Now thats laughable, for us vociferous defenders (who can see the bad but recognise that its outweighed by the good.)

I actually wish he would go now, just so I can say - told you so! As we do a fine impersonation of Aston Villa.

and you want AVB, the man who singularly transformed the multimillionaires at Chelsea in to a mid table team. You did see what happened to them when Di Mattteo took over, didn't you? The guy who wasn't good enough for West Brom won 2 cups with the same players.

and no, I don't (really) want to see us fighting relegation, just so I can say I told you so - if he goes I will be right behind whoever takes over, and if its AVB, whoever comes in and clears his mess up!

Most of all, I hate this stupid division that its all causing.

You mean the players who he constantly picked event though they were tired/unfit/not performing?

Or did you mean the ones he sanctioned the loans of without suitable replacements?

Those players, right?

Also, at no point under AVB were Chelsea mid-table. In fact I *think* he had a better average PPG than Di Matteo.

he's our longest serving manager since Venables

He was very interested in taking off for the middle east season before last Mick...he was sure he'd get the England job...he's not exactly begging for a new contract/making noises about wanting to stay for an extended period of time...but fair-dos, he has been with us longer than anyone bar Venables, so perhaps my distrust is unwarranted?

LOL, easy Mick, calm down mate, it's all good, I'll address a few points...

1 - nothing to do with the players then?

2 - I can only conclude from this that you have never played football in your life. Or that you are so desperate for him to go that you will cling to any theory to back up your belief that he is unfit to manage this team. Despite the evidence to the contrary (ie the last 3 league finishes being the best in 50 years.)

3 - and you want AVB, the man who singularly transformed the multimillionaires at Chelsea in to a mid table team. You did see what happened to them when Di Mattteo took over, didn't you? The guy who wasn't good enough for West Brom won 2 cups with the same players.

4 - Most of all, I hate this stupid division that its all causing.

1 - To be fair to me here Mick, I didn't (and haven't) addressed the issue of the players (I would certainly explain to Modric that one of the reasons I wouldn't be selling him because we're not in the Champions League is because he could've tried a bit harder to make sure we got there!)...they absolutely shoulder a major portion of the blame...but for my money, so does the manager. A STRONG manager will ALWAYS take responsibilities for SOME of, if not ALL, of what happens on the pitch. He's not taken a single bit. Even 20% would be good, just a little-piffling 20%...personally, I think it's nearer 50% but there ya go. Tactically he was often caught in a foggy haze in the second-half of the season, and things he'd previously done with ease seemed impossible for him to grasp, as if paralyzed by some drug! This also goes for some of the awful subbing he did. And why oh why did he NOT rotate? It was baffling, along with Pienaar and Bassong's departures on a loan/transfer respectively. He can be such a good man-manager, yet he couldn't handle those two, who would most certainly have been big for us in some games where legs were tired. Ditto Kranjcar before his injury...took him too long to rest Parker and get Sandro in (whence we enjoyed an improvement - Parker's been great but when tired, he looked poor which is no surprise poor bugger)...

2 - To address the first part, obviously you were spying on my second game this week (last Thursday) when I had the shooting accuracy of Stephen Hawking, but generally, I have to say for a fat-bellied 45 year old, I still give the whippersnappers a right old go-around in my two games per week. Where I'm lacking right now, is extra fitness training (schedule/projects and, er, a bit lazy!!!!!)...the second bit. Now, let's be fair and agree that what you're sticking on me is a culmination of various posts interpreted and not just this one, because I don't actually say that in this one. So, in addressing your general point with regards to whether I think Redknapp is fit to manage the club...as I've tried to make very clear, IF he does what he can do to the bet of his abilities, IF he can adopt a more 'we' as opposed to 'me' approach to the job, IF he could be a bit more honest, and IF he is prepared to show greater levels of long-term commitment, then I imagine he is fit to manage this squad as well as he has the previous few years (which, I have said, has included a lot of 'good'). The question becomes can someone else do a better LONG-TERM job? My belief is that, at best, Harry would be here two more years max, and that he always half an eye out for a better opportunity, ESPECIALLY when the novelty's worn off and there's a bit of good old fashioned pressure. Which there certainly is now with this job.

3 - I think if you're honest Mick, you'll be able to agree that AVB's problems were very, very clear. He had NO IDEA how to handle the old guard at Chelski, he had NO IDEA how much power the old guard wielded in the dressing room, he absolutely over-played his hand at the beginning with regards to how he handled the attempted transformation of the club, he was thus let down 100% BY those old guard players, who basically brick on him and Chelski from a great height, and thus in trying to fastidiously do what Abramovich had asked him (which included giving Abramovich's golden purchase Torres more of a look-in) he shafted himself and was shafted. I hope to high heavens Di Matteo gets the Chelski job. It's be brilliant. Because like Benitez before him who flaked a Champions League off the back of astounding luck, we would see he is not GHod's gift to management. What he did supremely well in his 12 weeks last season, was let the old guard come back in, play a lot and gee themselves up for one final punt at the CL. It makes me laugh when I see Drogba, Terry and Lampard out there larging it, these counts wouldn't lift a finger for AVB, partially because he was rather interested in fudging them all off and out of it to make room for others!!!!

4 - I don't disagree, but again, the devil's in the details, and I genuinely wish Harry would just be a bit more honest about the last half-season. Some honesty, truth and humility would go a one, long way IMHO...

Last edited:
Also, at no point under AVB were Chelsea mid-table. In fact I *think* he had a better average PPG than Di Matteo.

RDMAVB100512.jpg

Chelsea were 5th when he was booted and finished 6th under owl man

Funny how Chelsea's poor results are down to the manager but ours are down to players.

Last edited:

Your criteria is flawed, I'm afraid.

How can you conclusively state no-one can match those results when Redknapp himself was never guaranteed to achieve any of this when he first came? He was hardly the glowing CV, mind you

Your criteria is flawed, I'm afraid.

How can you conclusively state no-one can match those results when Redknapp himself was never guaranteed to achieve any of this when he first came? He was hardly the glowing CV, mind you

He didn't conclusively state that. He just asked someone to say who would do better.

Because Harry is our current manager, and because we have been stable and successful over the last 3 seasons, a lot of people feel that an alternative manager would have to be a pretty sure thing to be worth considering. Because Harry is our current manager, I would argue that people don't have to conclusively state that no-one could match Harry's results; rather, people who want him replaced with someone else have to conclusively state that that someone else will better Harry's results.

He didn't conclusively state that. He just asked someone to say who would do better.

Because Harry is our current manager, and because we have been stable and successful over the last 3 seasons, a lot of people feel that an alternative manager would have to be a pretty sure thing to be worth considering. Because Harry is our current manager, I would argue that people don't have to conclusively state that no-one could match Harry's results; rather, people who want him replaced with someone else have to conclusively state that that someone else will better Harry's results.

Well how can anyone conclusively say that ANY manager will better Redknapps results, every managerial appointment is a risk just like Redknapp was when he came here. No can say conclusively that the results will be better or worse, so its a bit of a moot question.

Well how can anyone conclusively say that ANY manager will better Redknapps results, every managerial appointment is a risk just like Redknapp was when he came here. No can say conclusively that the results will be better or worse, so its a bit of a moot question.

Exactly

Eltrev - the question is fundamentally flawed imv, since the underlying premise suggests anything from here on would carry some risk - just like Arry did back then. Full circle then.

Agreed. Although I wouldn't really call Harry's appointment a risk. We were bottom, low on confidence, and needed someone to make sure we avoided relegation. Harry seemed like the perfect man. We're now in a completely different situation, and appointing a young manager who has no experience of managing a team with aspirations of challenging the top 3 teams in the league is a risk whichever way you look at it.

Exactly

Eltrev - the question is fundamentally flawed imv, since the underlying premise suggests anything from here on would carry some risk - just like Arry did back then. Full circle then.

See my above response! [I know you posted before me]

Appointing Harry 4 seasons ago wasn't much of a risk, because we were bottom and he had experience of avoiding relegation with worse squads than ours.

Keeping Harry now isn't much of a risk, because he's proven himself able to get 4th, 5th and 4th in the last 3 seasons.

Getting Mourinho wouldn't be much of a risk, because he has experience of managing top teams and is successful with every one of them.

Getting Martinez (for example) would be a risk, because he has never managed a club as big as ours and has never managed a team with aspirations of challenging the top 3.

Different options have different levels of risk, and of all our realistic options keeping Harry is the least risky. If some people think we've reached our limit with him then I can understand why people would want to take a risk in order to push on.

For the record I have a bit of a man-crush on Martinez, and would be excited (though also very nervous) if we replaced Harry with him (this season or next).

Back