• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Redknapp

Are you suggesting it is Levy who indentifies the targets and even picks the team for HR?

Arry, here's a list of some players I'll buy for you. Make it work, old boy!

Sorry, but I find that extremelly far fetched.

Arry and his assistants /scouts draw a list (or asks someone to type it for them) and give is to Levy. Next they sit down and discuss the targets and Levy goes away to study each and every one - possible, affordable, sustainable, good investment vs. return, etc.

Look at Tevez for instance (lol)

HR - Daniel, I see he might be available. Would it be possible?

Levy goes away and investigates. Later on.

DL - No - can't work for us.

His words, mind you. Conversation closed. Same with Parker - Arry convinced Levy he would be very beneficial to the club and Levy in turn convince the board

:ross: Some people seem to think Levy does everything bad and Harry does everything good. They live in LALA land. How much is it the Harry HAS actually spent in the transfer market Crouch, Defoe, Pallacious, VDV, Sandro, Pienaar, Kranchar, Kaboul, Parker. Cant exactly say he has been starved of funds like some managers.

Are you suggesting it is Levy who indentifies the targets and even picks the team for HR?

Arry, here's a list of some players I'll buy for you. Make it work, old boy!

Sorry, but I find that extremelly far fetched.

Arry and his assistants /scouts draw a list (or asks someone to type it for them) and give is to Levy. Next they sit down and discuss the targets and Levy goes away to study each and every one - possible, affordable, sustainable, good investment vs. return, etc.

Look at Tevez for instance (lol)

HR - Daniel, I see he might be available. Would it be possible?

Levy goes away and investigates. Later on.

DL - No - can't work for us.

His words, mind you. Conversation closed. Same with Parker - Arry convinced Levy he would be very beneficial to the club and Levy in turn convince the board

i think Levy has some good contacts in Europe - i don't know if you remember but the year we had pleat as manager Levy spent most of his time researching the DoF type set up, talking to a lot of people at a lot of clubs around the continent - i think during this time (and since) he has developed some relationships with key players in the game. i don't think it is out of the question to suggest he is made aware of certain players which are available that he then passes on to the scouting team to look at or whatever. i wouldn't like to put forward any names but there are definitely players at our club that were Levy signings, in my opinion anyway. not saying Levy will tell Harry he can't have X because he is buying him Y or anything like that, but he will pursue players that he is put on to that he thinks are good business

:ross: Some people seem to think Levy does everything bad and Harry does everything good. They live in LALA land. How much is it the Harry HAS actually spent in the transfer market Crouch, Defoe, Pallacious, VDV, Sandro, Pienaar, Kranchar, Kaboul, Parker. Cant exactly say he has been starved of funds like some managers.

Here's an analysis I posted earlier

- Team does well - all manager's plaudits - triffic guy, best in 250 years statistically

- Team collapses and enters relegation form for 10 weeks - blame players, FA, pitch, weather, sponsors, Arsenal, etc.

- Poor transfer window - tight-fisted snake-eyed chariman fudged it all up. Gave poor manager no spare change.

- Successful transfer window - masterstroke of a genius manager spotted a oldie-but-a-goodie bargain

- Wage bill doubles during said manager's tenure in a single season - buffoon chairman signed ridiculous contracts and messed up all bonus payments. Nothing to do with poor manager - he knows nuffink!

i think Levy has some good contacts in Europe - i don't know if you remember but the year we had pleat as manager Levy spent most of his time researching the DoF type set up, talking to a lot of people at a lot of clubs around the continent - i think during this time (and since) he has developed some relationships with key players in the game. i don't think it is out of the question to suggest he is made aware of certain players which are available that he then passes on to the scouting team to look at or whatever. i wouldn't like to put forward any names but there are definitely players at our club that were Levy signings, in my opinion anyway. not saying Levy will tell Harry he can't have X because he is buying him Y or anything like that, but he will pursue players that he is put on to that he thinks are good business

In addition to that - I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of agents phoning him daily offering their clients, etc. Levy probably makes a list of the 'affordable' ones and later calls Arry to discuss his findings.

DL: Arry, here's a list of some available players this summer

HR reads carefully, deliberates and gives his verdict. Picks a few and marks them with his red marker.

DL proceeds to phone agent / club and negotiations begin, etc.

let's not let another thread descend in to tit for tat insults eh guys ?

Couldnt agree more.

Perhaps you could let MC know that my first game was at WHL in (I think) 1963. Midweek evening game. Spurs v Everton. Brian Labone scored for Everton, Gilzean equalised for Spurs with a trademark glancing header off his combover. Final score 1-1. MC only started supporting Spurs in the late 60s. What a Jonny come lately!

I take your point too!

Sandro and VDV? Two of our more successful signings btw

VDV was on our list early on. He wasn't an out of the blue Levy signing, he just became available the last day of the window. Sandro were scouted for a long time, though I don't know who initially discovered him.

VDV was on our list early on. He wasn't an out of the blue Levy signing, he just became available the last day of the window. Sandro were scouted for a long time, though I don't know who initially discovered him.

Dont want to get involved in this debate again - but from harry's comments at the time he said himself that the Chairman asked if I would be interested (in VDV)and i said yes of course

Dont want to get involved in this debate again - but from harry's comments at the time he said himself that the Chairman asked if I would be interested (in VDV)and i said yes of course

They had looked at him earlier that summer, but decided he would be too expensive. Of course he would still want him.

Arry, we found a player for you. Nice and cheap

Who is he? Ryan Shawcross, Phil Neville, John Utaka?

No, it's Rafael van der Vaart

Who?

Plays for Real Madrid as offensive midfielder

Never seen him on MotD or those Prem DVDs. Any good?

Comes from the same country as Johan Cruyff. Speaks the same language too.

Sign him up

:)

Couldnt agree more.

Perhaps you could let MC know that my first game was at WHL in (I think) 1963. Midweek evening game. Spurs v Everton. Brian Labone scored for Everton, Gilzean equalised for Spurs with a trademark glancing header off his combover. Final score 1-1. MC only started supporting Spurs in the late 60s. What a Jonny come lately!

I take your point too!

I went to Denmark in 1959, but I'm not Danish.

You really shouldn't confess that you were a Brighton supporter, and then try and pass yourself off as a Spurs fan for 50 years, or someone might think you are telling porky's. Oh no, not porky's, big fat lies. I didn't get to see a game at WHL until the early 70's by the way, as I lived abroad, courtesy af a father serving in the RAF.

Irrelevant anyway, you support Spurs thats all thats important, anyone can be forgiven. You just need to channel the support a little better and stop trying to use this as a vehicle for having a go at me. Try to be a little bit more sanguine about criticisms of your opinions, and accept that we don't all have to agree with each other. The other thing that does you no favours is your constant attempts to belittle my intelligence, stick to critiqueing my opinions where they differ to yours, and explain why - and I'll reciprocate with the same approach.

You are trying too hard to be taken seriously and the more you try, the less its likely to happen.

I'll be more than happy to treat you with the respect that your comments and opinions deserve, and will not get personal - but you need to do the same thing.

Thats how I remember it as well, and if I remember correctly - were we not knocking on their door for Diarra and got thrown a bone in the shape of VDV?

Thats how I remember it as well, and if I remember correctly - were we not knocking on their door for Diarra and got thrown a bone in the shape of VDV?

i think MK see's it a little different, he seems to think we were in for himat the beginning of the summer and there are some (rather elusive) Redknapp quotes to back that up - all i've seen (on paper/monitor) is that Redknapp has said that everyone in football knew VdV was heading to Bayern but for some reason that deal fell apart at the eleventh hour, which Levy got wind of (think a contact at Real most likely from the Diarra deal) and called him to see if it was a player he'd take - i haven't seen anything that suggests we were in for him at all personally. if we had even expressed an interest to Madrid early in the window you could bet your house on some |ITK getting wind of it and blabbing it to everyone and their son.

as for Sandro - that looks like a deal which came about from the commercial deal we struck with his club - no doubt when signing a player from another continent a lot of scouting work goes in to it and is not a decision which is made over night

of course because im seen as a HR 'hater' this stance on the transfers usually gets shouted down

Last edited:
MK is clutching at some Jamie half-quotes from The Sun which apeared after the transfer iirc

VdV was Bayern Munich bound and packed until they pulled the plug at the 11th hour so Madrid went into panic mode and cut his price substantially in order to lighten their wage-structure. The rest was agents phoning around offering VdV. We were quick to act and swooped.

I went to Denmark in 1959, but I'm not Danish.

You really shouldn't confess that you were a Brighton supporter, and then try and pass yourself off as a Spurs fan for 50 years, or someone might think you are telling porky's. Oh no, not porky's, big fat lies. I didn't get to see a game at WHL until the early 70's by the way, as I lived abroad, courtesy af a father serving in the RAF.

Irrelevant anyway, you support Spurs thats all thats important, anyone can be forgiven. You just need to channel the support a little better and stop trying to use this as a vehicle for having a go at me. Try to be a little bit more sanguine about criticisms of your opinions, and accept that we don't all have to agree with each other. The other thing that does you no favours is your constant attempts to belittle my intelligence, stick to critiqueing my opinions where they differ to yours, and explain why - and I'll reciprocate with the same approach.You are trying too hard to be taken seriously and the more you try, the less its likely to happen.

I'll be more than happy to treat you with the respect that your comments and opinions deserve, and will not get personal - but you need to do the same thing.

Could have written the same first bit myself about you.

You were the one that first got personal not me (Brighton, degrees, age, falsely accusing me of fabricating evidence and calling Harry abusive names relating to his physical appearance etc etc). You just dont like it when it is turned on you. Stick to what I actually write. Differ if you will, but at least back up your argument without going off into wild fantasies about what you (wrongly) assume about me. Then, and only then, can we have a proper reasoned debate

as for Sandro - that looks like a deal which came about from the commercial deal we struck with his club - no doubt when signing a player from another continent a lot of scouting work goes in to it and is not a decision which is made over night

I'm 100% sure that we would never have been in for Sandro if it wasn't for our partnership deal with Internacional.
Levy and administrative staff above Harry's head must certainly take much credit for Sandro. However, it shouldn't be forgotten that they do work as a team when it comes to signings - Levy, manager, club secretary, scouts, perhaps even others on the coaching staff.
It's well documented that Ian Bloomfield were in the stands watching Sandro for several games before we signed him,
now Bloomfield is Harry's man, our chief scout hired by Harry. It's not as easy to credit a signing to a single individual in our set up, as perhaps us fans would like to do.

Could have written the same first bit myself about you.

You were the one that first got personal not me (Brighton, degrees, age, falsely accusing me of fabricating evidence and calling Harry abusive names relating to his physical appearance etc etc). You just dont like it when it is turned on you. Stick to what I actually write. Differ if you will, but at least back up your argument without going off into wild fantasies about what you (wrongly) assume about me. Then, and only then, can we have a proper reasoned debate

I don't remember accusing you of making abusive comments about HR, I have made general comments about some people doing it, I have no recollection of you doing so.

Anyway, I'm done with this crap, it makes no sense, and you got one thread shut down already for bickering, so I am asking you to stop it, as will I. If you wish to continue hounding me over issues that you have taken exception to, do it by PM

I read an article somewhere today about how Harry was pretty much sidelined in the transfer activity. Of course everyone is free to suggest targets, but Levy makes the decisions. It's all about getting value for money, potential and resale value. That rules out a lot of Harry's suggestions.

Levy makes the final decisions because we don't have a DoF...he is given a list of targets. That's been the bit which has worried people before bevausevthey are not exactly the sort of progressive targets you might expect...two seasons ago, our manager wasn't sure about Edison Cavani!!!!

A new contract is his to earn. I'd leave till xmas at least. If he starts making a fuss, fire his ass.

Lol ... Surely it's something like that we want to avoid ?

I don't have the trust in Harry that some do and the thought of having him at the helm running down a contract, I actually find a little disturbing:frown:

Imagine Harry not getting his way on a new contract and then his interviews with his media mates .. It could get messy ..

Back