• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Preseason 2014

I think this season may well have a slow start to it mainly due to the disrupted pre seasons the top clubs had due to important players being away. I think the first month will be slow.

I think this season may well have a slow start to it mainly due to the disrupted pre seasons the top clubs had due to important players being away. I think the first month will be slow.

Thing is most clubs have a relatively settled team to build on. For at least a year no one has figured out our consistent starting 11. I have faith in Poch. But for me that is his biggest challenge right now. He knows how to coach players, but he needs to decide relatively quickly who his team is and work with them. Which I think he will! Was hoping today's game would give us an idea, but clearly there is some way to go.

Think how many times we failed to convert chances last year, even after Ade came back. Soldado's link up play was good but his goal scoring/chance taking was poor. Kane is good but not top class. Ade is inconsistent. I think we need better forward options. We tried numerous options out left and none looked really natural. And we haven't had play maker since Modric left and have suffered as result. Essentially we are relying on Poch to make the difference - which is a tough ask. But we still may get a striker and a playmaker in.

I see where you're coming from, but I think that poch will be able to deliver that "tough ask" ... Not that he is a genius, but because I think we lacked a proper team strategy in the final third and poch is the right man to put this into our game.

Thing is most clubs have a relatively settled team to build on. For at least a year no one has figured out our consistent starting 11. I have faith in Poch. But for me that is his biggest challenge right now. He knows how to coach players, but he needs to decide relatively quickly who his team is and work with them. Which I think he will! Was hoping today's game would give us an idea, but clearly there is some way to go.

Agree with this point. Poch wont know his best team and as mentioned dont think this pre season will have helped with the players missing. As you say our issue is there is no follow on from last season so the players returning will have to quickly adapt to a new way of working. Others like Arsenal, perhaps Liverpool to a certain extent and Emirates Marketing Project also Everton will have some form of continuation.

BuDwUVzIcAAKdLj.jpg

DAT DRAW!!

Hope we enter the season with most of the players we've used in pre season.
Lloris and Vertonghen should play of course, but I'd rather allow the players that have been coached into Pochettino's system this summer to kick off the season for us.
Let Chiriches, Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho and Chadli have a slow start to adjust, fight their way into the squad. We'll need the depth for the Europa League.
The excellent pre season under Ramos has been brought out as an example of why pre season doesn't matter,
however a big mistake back then in my opinion was that we played a formation with a selection of players in key roles through the pre season,
then when the season kicked off we changed formation slightly and swapped around the personell that had done so well in pre season.

Yeah he doesn't know yet. Will be a suprise. He is 8 now so I think it's time he experiences live footy. I have 2 younger sons also. If they all grow to love football I could be struggling to take them to Spurs and Kenilworth Road might be a better option...

I'm taking my two boys - age 7 & 9. The older one has been to the Lane a few times but this will be the first Spurs match for his younger brother.

Reply to Naija

On what basis is that our current first choice line up?
]So far in pre season, elements of that lineup have looked quite solid.

Vertonghen is yet to start a preseason match
True but the alternatives are Kaboul Daws together or one of those two alongside 19 year old Veljkovic or Fryers. Also the World Cup players need to get some gametime.

Naughton has played about 4 times as many minutes as Walker if not more
And by all accounts looks to be up for sale. If he's not seen as part of the long term future then I'd like to see the player who would be starting.

Rose has played more minutes than Davies and Davies in the minutes played has not shown he is a superior option although he may do so in the future
Davies so far has looked solid yet unspectacular. Good distribution and defensively solid. Rose has looked better going forward but also has made more mistakes. Personally I'd like a solid back line first of all.

Based on Preseason form I would suggest Holtby has done at least as much as Lennon to be in the starting line up, i.e. in one of the 3 behind a central striker.
I also have liked Holtby so far, but the Lennon, Lamela, Eriksen unit has so far looked the most cohesive. Not only that, but Lennon has looked quite adept in his new role. If Holtby were to get in ahead of anyone it would actually be Eriksen imo.

I bet 3 weeks ago none of you would have had had Ryan Mason in our first choice line up
Correct. However in pre season he has looked extremely good alongside Capoue. He has been disciplined but also offered a tremendous range of passing and started many good moves.

I went to the pub when it was 4-1 yesterday, it's a bad day when Soldado scores against you :p

Here's hoping for a great season for the Spurs [-o<

I'm disappointed with the level of games we've had this preseason. United, Liverpool, Arsenal are playing the likes of Roma, Real, Milan, Benfica etc... And us, three MLS sides who are taking it easy and a very weak Celtic side where we may as well played against our own youth or reserve team.

I prefer it when we play other PL teams in preseason too. It gets plays like Lamela, Eriksen game time against PL opposition which they'll be facing week in week out. Having said that it's given Poch the opportunity to implement his methods. Just hope we go in as aggressively v West Ham come kick off in2 weeks

Back