• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Preseason 2014

U21s leading 2-1.

Obika tapped home a rebound from a save and Ceballos scored a penalty after being fouled himself.

Right now I think the downturn in Eriksen's contribution is down to the fact that he is being asked to learn and play a different role to one he has done before. Not only that but the free role/#10 slot that we have seen him in this last year is now being taken over by Lamela. A lot of our moves tend to involve moving the opposition out of position and finding one of the attacking three in that space ahead of the opposition back line and more often than not (specifically today) it has been Lamela. Eriksen is also being expected to drop into the centre and start moves when Capoue drops deep or into the RB slot when Walker/Naughton/Fredericks bomb on up the flank. It's an aweful lot to be asking him to take on so it's now wonder he's been subdued. I'd expect him to grab less headlines in this current setup.

So given what we have seen so far and considering we now have only one more pre season match before Wham, how should we line up for Schalke?? Personally I'd prefer to see us start with our current first choice 11 and then a few tweaks during the second half. To me that means a lineup of:

Lloris, Walker (if fit), Kaboul, Vertonghen, Davies, Capoue, Mason, Eriksen, Lamela, Lennon and Soldado.

Lloris, Walker (if fit), Kaboul, Vertonghen, Davies, Capoue, Dembele, Eriksen, Lamela, Ade and Soldado.

I'd also consider starting Rose. Davies is a safer pair of hands, Rose able to skin people down the line when attacking.

Line up for Schalke imo will be:

Lloris
Naughton - Kaboul - Vertonghen - Davies
Capoue - Holtbyl
Lamela - Eriksen - Lennon
Soldado​

Forgot Hotlby. I don't envy our manager. Hard to get set on a first 11.

--------------Lloris
Walker - Kaboul - Vertonghen - Rose
--------Capoue - Dembele
Lamela ----- Holtby ------- Eriksen
--------------Ade

Mumorn how do you centre your team!

Last edited:
Cochise;585810[B said:
]Right now I think the downturn in Eriksen's contribution is down to the fact that he is being asked to learn and play a different role to one he has done before.[/B] Not only that but the free role/#10 slot that we have seen him in this last year is now being taken over by Lamela. A lot of our moves tend to involve moving the opposition out of position and finding one of the attacking three in that space ahead of the opposition back line and more often than not (specifically today) it has been Lamela. Eriksen is also being expected to drop into the centre and start moves when Capoue drops deep or into the RB slot when Walker/Naughton/Fredericks bomb on up the flank. It's an aweful lot to be asking him to take on so it's now wonder he's been subdued. I'd expect him to grab less headlines in this current setup.

So given what we have seen so far and considering we now have only one more pre season match before Wham, how should we line up for Schalke?? Personally I'd prefer to see us start with our current first choice 11 and then a few tweaks during the second half. To me that means a lineup of:

Lloris, Walker (if fit), Kaboul, Vertonghen, Davies, Capoue, Mason, Eriksen, Lamela, Lennon and Soldado.

What role has Eriksen got before? He hasnt exactly been in a fixed position.
He played as one of the central midfield 3 in Ajax's 433.
When he joined us he played as the number 10 in our 4231 under AVB.
Then Sherwood came in played him the middle of a 442, then shifted him out to the left of a 442, then a few games as 10 in a 4231 and for the last few months of the season back to left in a 442/4231.

I think Eriksen will end out on the left like where Sherwood ending up playing him.
I want him in central midfield but that's not gonna happen under Poch.

Personally I'd prefer to see us start with our current first choice 11 and then a few tweaks during the second half. To me that means a lineup of:

On what basis is that our current first choice line up?

Vertonghan is yet to start a preseason match

Naughton has played about 4 times as many minutes as Walker if not more

Rose has played more minutes than Davies and Davies in the minutes played has not shown he is a superior option although he may do so in the future

Based on Preseason form I would suggest Holtby has done at least as much as Lennon to be in the starting line up, i.e. in one of the 3 behind a central striker

I bet 3 weeks ago none of you would have had had Ryan Mason in our first choice line up

For the record I do not think SPurs has a first choice starting 11 at this time, and may not for the season, it is a squad game these days

I think that we'll have to see the likes of Chadli, Vertonghen, Dembele and Paulinho get a lot more game time in the Schalke friendly. Each of those players are just returning from the World Cup and so need to participate in this friendly so as to give them at least one game before our Premiership opener.

My side, for that reason, would be:

Lloris
Naughton - Unless we have signed the new right back, as I can't stand Naughton
Vertonghen
Kaboul
Davies
Dembele
Bentaleb
Lamela
Paulinho
Chadli
Adebayor

I'm not suggesting that that's our best team, it's hard to decide what is, but I believe that our team against Schalke will not be far different from that selection. We may well then see changes in the second half which will transform the side in to a representative side for our first Premier League fixture against West Ham.

i think poch will continue to field two teams for the shalke game, don't think he's seen enough yet. in any case we should be preparing with two teams - one for europa and early cup runs.

I think Eriksen will end out on the left like where Sherwood ending up playing him.
I want him in central midfield but that's not gonna happen under Poch.

Based on what I have seen in pre season I am not sure he will be on the left, instead I think we will be playing a fluid 3 behind a central striker that will interchange positions

Forgot Hotlby. I don't envy our manager. Hard to get set on a first 11.

--------------Lloris
Walker - Kaboul - Vertonghen - Rose
--------Capoue - Dembele
Lamela ----- Holtby ------- Eriksen
--------------Ade​

Mumorn how do you centre your team!

Go advanced

Arsenal depressingly ****ing all over Benfica 4-0 at the moment and looking slick doing it.

I'm a little concerned we haven't played a competitive team this summer with one game left and the Belgiums still missing

Don't be concerned. Pre-season is about working on shape, fitness, tactics and not getting injuries.

Arsenal depressingly ****ing all over Benfica 4-0 at the moment and looking slick doing it.

As always, I'll refer back to our 5-0 victory against Roma to prove that friendlies are not the clearest indication of the strength of a team. There is definitely promise there for them but, who didn't know that Arsenal were capable of playing good football? It's whether they can deliver this level of football consistently when the Premier League kicks off.

Back