• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

At lunchtime I saw an article on the Beeb website about how ex-pats in Spain can once again vote in the UK.
One ex-pat said, without a hint of irony, that immigration is the biggest problem in the UK.
The next said that Rishi might be rich but he knows how to run an economy.
Needless to say, I closed that site.

One cannot underestimate how clueless many people are when it comes to voting. They base their votes on such strange ideas. Like asking the flat earth society which type of fuel to use in a spaceship.

At lunchtime I saw an article on the Beeb website about how ex-pats in Spain can once again vote in the UK.
One ex-pat said, without a hint of irony, that immigration is the biggest problem in the UK.

One cannot underestimate how clueless many people are when it comes to voting. They base their votes on such strange ideas. Like asking the flat earth society which type of fuel to use in a spaceship.
Facebook has a lot of influence still

Greens should hold Brighton and take Bristol (which would be a shame as the Labour MP there is decent by all accounts). Tactical voting may even get them a 3rd in Waveney valley.

If you think Reform won't win any I think you are in denial over just how many Brexiters and generally 'abandoned' people there are out there. Think Farage and Anderson will both get in and there may be more.
Agreed. The turkeys are voting for Christmas without knowing they are getting stuffed
My mate said he is voting Reform and we didnt even have a fudging candidate

Please just visit stopthetories.vote before you cast your ballot.

Game-changing opportunity to banish the cancer of the Tory kleptocracy to third place and render them and their billionaire-owned media shills politically irrelevant for a generation. Who's going to be asking what questions of Starmer for the next 5 or 10 years? Vote tactically.

Last edited:

On the flip side of that, my mate from Eastern Europe, lived here for years, paid tax for years, his kids were born here, can’t vote in the general.

That’s ridiculous.

I'm not too clued in on the lib dem polices but as I understand it moving the Tories into 3rd place would be fairly devastating for them in terms in terms of getting their divisive culture war message across. Being the opposition offers bigger megaphone by far.
I'm not sure the Libs know their own policies are the moment. The manifesto is designed for 50 seats max. Like going to a buffet, but only having dessert and a little bit of beef.

That's interesting. Under previous circumstances I agree. But I do wonder now if it might actually help - they'd essentially become Reform. The divisive culture war messages will fall flat in the HoC for the next parliament anyway; but they'll make a bigger noise on twitter, Facebook, the shows that invite the likes of Farage on.
It would essentially make them Reform but with a really strong brand identity.

Should be a fun watch tonight. is the spectacle: how decimated will the Tory party be by tomorrow?

I am sure politicians had more texture and intelligence 20 odd years ago. The likes of Tony Ben, Gerry Robinson even the Hestletines or Ken Clarks. They seemed to carry more weight. Starmer is probably the best of a mediocre bunch. But you wouldn't have seen him leader of a Party 20 years ago. He would have fit as a Minister. As for the Tory party, they have scraped the barrel since Brexit. And we have less than optimal people running our country. I'll vote for Starmer as he's at least competent. And hopefully the Labour Party will innovate and energise, but more likely they will be hamstrung by public finances and not do anything that fresh. Still, a safe pair of hands is a step up from what we've had.

Should be a fun watch tonight. is the spectacle: how decimated will the Tory party be by tomorrow?

I am sure politicians had more texture and intelligence 20 odd years ago. The likes of Tony Ben, Gerry Robinson even the Hestletines or Ken Clarks. They seemed to carry more weight. Starmer is probably the best of a mediocre bunch. But you wouldn't have seen him leader of a Party 20 years ago. He would have fit as a Minister. As for the Tory party, they have scraped the barrel since Brexit. And we have less than optimal people running our country. I'll vote for Starmer as he's at least competent. And hopefully the Labour Party will innovate and energise, but more likely they will be hamstrung by public finances and not do anything that fresh. Still, a safe pair of hands is a step up from what we've had.

Since Brexit?

Sunak
Truss
Johnson
May
Cameron
Howard
IDS
Hague

That is June '97 since they had anyone with credibility or a shred of integrity.

I'd rank Starmer as more Prime Ministerial than any of those but the proof will be in the next 5 years. But you are right. there are no political heavyweights, 'Big Beasts' left on either side of the Commons.

I'm not sure the Libs know their own policies are the moment. The manifesto is designed for 50 seats max. Like going to a buffet, but only having dessert and a little bit of beef.

That's interesting. Under previous circumstances I agree. But I do wonder now if it might actually help - they'd essentially become Reform. The divisive culture war messages will fall flat in the HoC for the next parliament anyway; but they'll make a bigger noise on twitter, Facebook, the shows that invite the likes of Farage on.
It would essentially make them Reform but with a really strong brand identity.
To air culture war messages in the hoc as the opposition is to give them oxygen . There has been way too much of this bile already. Far better their voice is silenced in that body and some actual issues are debated. Questions posed by the lib dems, whatever they might be, will at least have some reasonable motivation behind them. That taco Hoyle needs the boot too.

I hope Farage will merge/take over the tories and destroy them from within. He's the leader they deserve.

Voting done.

We get the politicians we deserve.

They chase votes where the eyeballs are, whilst we pay more attention to tweets and tik toks we’ll get the banal simple soundbites.

Voting done.

We get the politicians we deserve.

They chase votes where the eyeballs are, whilst we pay more attention to tweets and tik toks we’ll get the banal simple soundbites.
There's going to be a lot of disappointed people in few years time.
There's a reason Europe is turning away from the political policies/parties many are going to be voting for today, not sure why they think it will be any different here.
None of them have the answers, mainly because they are the problem.
Trump, Farage, le pen, melloni etc aren't the problem, the problem are the political class driving voters towards them.

There's going to be a lot of disappointed people in few years time.
There's a reason Europe is turning away from the political policies/parties many are going to be voting for today, not sure why they think it will be any different here.
None of them have the answers, mainly because they are the problem.
Trump, Farage, le pen, melloni etc aren't the problem, the problem are the political class driving voters towards them.

Neo-liberalism means politicians have limited power compared to our corporate overlords. A reversion to a more dirigiste economic policy would be interesting to see. We have the ability now since Brexit, if there's some will.

Since Brexit?

Sunak
Truss
Johnson
May

Cameron
Howard
IDS
Hague

That is June '97 since they had anyone with credibility or a shred of integrity.

I'd rank Starmer as more Prime Ministerial than any of those but the proof will be in the next 5 years. But you are right. there are no political heavyweights, 'Big Beasts' left on either side of the Commons.

I'd argue the drop-off in ability post Cameron was marked. Cameron and predecessors are questionable too, but like Starmer have a level of intelligence and competence. Pre-Brexit Boris was a clown backbench figure. May wouldn't have been entertained as a leader, and the less said about Truss and Sunak the better!

Back