• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Players Out: Rumours and Discussion

Sunderland and Hull battling to sign Huddlestone

Guess £5m would be a fair price.

SUNDERLAND are in talks with Spurs midfielder Tom Huddlestone about a long-term move to the Stadium of Light.

The 26-year-old is unsettled at Tottenham because of his lack of first-team opportunities at White Hart Lane.

And boss Andre Villas-Boas is willing to sell as he looks to raise funds to build a side capable of beating the big guns to Champions League qualification in the new season.

Huddlestone, under contract until 2015, is believed to be available for around £4-5m and Sunderland would have no problem with that fee.

But former Black Cats boss Steve Bruce is also interested in the four-times capped Huddlestone and is hoping to gazump the deal.

Bruce’s Hull City made contact with Huddlestone’s representatives this week.

But Sunderland are further down the line, having already held talks, and will hope to seal a deal regardless of Hull’s late interest.

The last club to attempt to sign Huddlestone were Fulham, as recently as the January transfer window this year, but Spurs were reluctant to sell at the time because of an injury to Brazilian star Sandro.

Fulham boss Martin Jol knows all about the player having signed him in 2005 when he was Spurs manager, but he has not come back in for him so far this summer.

There’s no doubt that a fit and in-form Huddlestone would be a tremendous addition to Sunderland’s squad.

And the ball-playing midfielder with a fearsome shot would expect to be a first-team regular if he signed.

The one area of concern about a player who made his league debut for Derby at the age of 16, in 2003-04, would be his injury record.

The 6ft 3in powerhouse made just four appearances in the 2011-12 season after suffering a succession of injuries.

Last season, though he made 29 appearances and was fit enough to have played more only to lose out as other team-mates were preferred.

That led to Huddlestone admitting he would have to consider his future this summer.

“At times, you think you might need to move,” he said.

“I am 26 now and missed a year to 18 months through injury.

“You just want to play every game and if that opportunity is not at Tottenham, then I will have to look elsewhere.”

Sunderland’s interest is a positive sign for supporters, regardless of whether it pays off or not, in a way.

After the first part of the close season being spent on the acquisition of Bosman signings and young prospects, the Black Cats’ interest in Huddlestone at least shows Sunderland are also looking at quality players of proven pedigree as well as youthful players of potential.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...tottenham-midfield-star-huddlestone-1-5804842

If Thudd is not in our plans, then sell him. It would be silly to make him sit on the bench and wait, especially if we're signing another midfielder to be in front of him.

Yeah that makes sense, he has played a big part in a team that has finished with two 4ths and two 5ths.

You spend £5m and get someone as good as him.

That's not the player you're getting now though, is it? One year out injured, another year warming the bench.

Yeah that makes sense, he has played a big part in a team that has finished with two 4ths and two 5ths.

You spend £5m and get someone as good as him.

That's a bit of a rewrite..

12-13 Bit part as not first team for majority of season (5th), 14 games.
11-12 Injured so no part (4th), 4 games.
10-11 bit part player (5th), 14 games.
09-10 big part in team (4th), 33 games.

He would be a very good buy for most PL teams outside top 5, especially for 5M-ish

He would be a good help in creating a more ball playing side, funnily, people talk about Sunderland/Hull, but he'd probably improve Pool quite a bit.

I think we should keep him. I'd sooner see Parker move on and Livermore go out on loan than Thudd leaving. Tom is a tool for a job and can be very effective in certain circumstances. He not a starter but a good option off the bench IMHO.

I think we should keep him. I'd sooner see Parker move on and Livermore go out on loan than Thudd leaving. Tom is a tool for a job and can be very effective in certain circumstances. He not a starter but a good option off the bench IMHO.

I agree, but I think we can sell all of them to be honest.

I don't think Huddlestone will return to his best form without consistent playing time, and he won't get consistent playing time for us.

I would rather see us use Holtby or Carroll if we need a good passer in central midfield, younger players that also need game time.

It's either give Hudd a new contract, sell him this summer or let him go for free next year.

Middle one everytime for me.

+1, he offers something different especially in Europe, if he wants to go to play regularly then fair enough but he has been good for us.

That's right if he was fit enough to play more games in 12/13 then we would have finished 4th, you can make it prove whatever you want.

That's right if he was fit enough to play more games in 12/13 then we would have finished 4th, you can make it prove whatever you want.

i like Huddelstone but id rather we moved him on so it could free up space for Holtby/Carroll/Sigurdsson - would rather aide their development at this stage

Time for him to go, in his best interest.
Hudd won't hold down a first team place at Spurs,
and Carroll need the game time of a squad player.
Will miss him as he's a favourite of mine, that I thought both Spurs and England would be built around
But it's not working out for him here, he'll be a superstar for most Prem teams.

Sell three players to finance a brazilian international, we already got two academy players coming up to replace two of them:
Livermore <> Luongo
Parker <> Paulinho
Huddlestone <> Carroll

Last edited:
I like Huddlestone but I'd rather we moved him on so it could free up space for Holtby/Carroll/Sigurdsson - would rather aid their development at this stage

From the bench he won us the home game vs City. I like him. He was key to us getting ECL. If he is happy to be a sub I can see him getting us points from difficult situations.

Time for him to go, in his best interest.
Hudd won't hold down a first team place at Spurs,
and Carroll need the game time of a squad player.
Will miss him as he's a favourite of mine, that I thought both Spurs and England would be built around
But it's not working out for him here, he'll be a superstar for most Prem teams.

Sell three players to finance a brazilian international, we already got two academy players coming up to replace two of them:
Livermore <> Luongo
Parker <> Paulinho
Huddlestone <> Carroll

Holtby can be seen as a replacement for, and upgrade on, Livermore if Luongo isn't ready to step it up yet.

I hope we'll see him in a slightly deeper central role next season.

From the bench he won us the home game vs City. I like him. He was key to us getting ECL. If he is happy to be a sub I can see him getting us points from difficult situations.

and for £5m only.... if we can afford it then yes. However its getting a bit crowded in midfield, and we have to pick our battles. Tough choice but i think giving holtby and siggy more playing time would be more beneficial in the longer run.

Back