• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham v FC Basel, EL QF 2nd Leg

Basels home record in the league:

13 games played
10 wins
3 draws
28 scored
6 conceded

They haven't conceded at home in the league since the 7th October 2012.

Basels home record in the Europa League:

5 games played
4 wins
1 draw
10 scored
2 conceded

They haven't conceded a goal at home in the Europa League since the 4th October 2012.

if the goons can go to bayern munich and win after getting comprehensively beaten at home,we can do the same.

Oh look Wriggly is looking for attention again

Come on billy ffs, Holtby really ? he's been absolute rubbish and you know it. Carroll will get torn to bits against Basle. We play those 2 and were fudged, they offer nothing. That's the reason their appearances are rarer that rocking horse brick in premier league games.

Frankly I'm sick of the attention comments, I've always been the way I am for years of being on here.

Come on billy ffs, Holtby really ? he's been absolute rubbish and you know it. Carroll will get torn to bits against Basle. We play those 2 and were fudged, they offer nothing. That's the reason their appearances are rarer that rocking horse brick in premier league games.

Frankly I'm sick of the attention comments, I've always been the way I am for years of being on here.

I get that you don't rate Holtby, but truth is we're fudging short of options on the wing.

We can't play Dembele out there. He's our best centre mid and he's not looked good when moved out to the right. It would be shooting ourselves in the foot to not play him as a CM.

If Dempsey and Sig are the AM and LW, who else does that leave?

Edit: rate not like.

Last edited:
Carroll shouldn't play wide, nor Holtby. Please not Dembele either. Siggy and... and... naughton on the wings ? I have no idea. We'll go narrow again, try to play fast, lose possession and get smacked on the break.

What I will say is the mental attitude will have to show through. I'll be surprised if we win though.

I get that you don't rate Holtby, but truth is we're fudging short of options on the wing.

We can't play Dembele out there. He's our best centre mid and he's not looked good when moved out to the right. It would be shooting ourselves in the foot to not play him as a CM.

If Dempsey and Sig are the AM and LW, who else does that leave?

Edit: rate not like.

I would completely scrap the typical wingers for this game and play to the strength we have rather than fit in players.

Dawson/Gallas/Vertonghen across the back and have naughton and walker push on as wingers when not tracking back. 3 in the midfield of Dembele, Parker and Hudd (Yes hudd we need someone to spray the ball around and see that killer pass) with Siggy in the hole and Ade on his own up top.

edit, the reason for the 3 CD's is not only so that they can track the front 3 of Basle that caused us fudging no end of problems, but in also playing the wing backs (naughton and walker) they can pick up any loose players getting forward for Basle. Saves us playing 2 CD's vs 3 and has the wing backs as spare men to pick up anyone else.

Theoretically it could work. Naughton isn't exactly suited for a wing back role on the left though.

I'd play Holtby on the right before i'd try naughton as a left sided wing back. He doesn't have the pace, positioning on the left and he has to come inside to cross it. He's not suited to the left hand side in my mind.

But fair play for the idea. Would be interesting to see it in action.

I would completely scrap the typical wingers for this game and play to the strength we have rather than fit in players.

Dawson/Gallas/Vertonghen across the back and have naughton and walker push on as wingers when not tracking back. 3 in the midfield of Dembele, Parker and Hudd (Yes hudd we need someone to spray the ball around and see that killer pass) with Siggy in the hole and Ade on his own up top.

I am actually all for this and it's something I've wanted us to do when we have no natural wingers. I feel it's the closest to our style as we can play without natural wingers instead of chopping and changing just to play the same formation.

Even though Benny has not been on top form I think I'd play him as left wing back. Naughton would be inclined to turn inside onto his right foot and make things even more congested in the middle.

4-3-3 is another option. Either way I agree we need three in the centre of the park to try dominate the midfield more than the last game.

I'd really rather not see Gallas play for us. Even tomorrow night. While he has his weaknesses I'd refer Caulker in there. He is young, moderately mobile and can't have as stinky an attitude as Willy G, who is frankly, a busted flush.

I'm actually fairly confident about this. Basel are in a pretty annoying situation in that they are at home, but leading already and only need to sit back in theory to see the tie out. But we know we have to win the game. We will come at them and even if they score one goal or two we'd still need to score 2 ourselves. So we know what we have to do.

I think it's an advantage to be chasing a European tie in the second leg. It played into Inter's hands and Gala gave it a good go this week, and we aren't in as bad a situation as either of those teams. Subconsciously the Basel players may be caught in two minds about whether to go for a goal or sit back, and hopefully that can lead to indecisiveness. We know what we need to do and that doesn't really change whatever happens. Ade's hitting some form, Siggy is scoring a lot and even though we don't have Bale or Lennon I do think we can still hurt them.

Basel won't sit back.

They know from the first leg that they can attack us and cause us problems and that was away from home. They'll do the exact same, we just have to make sure we are defensively sound and nick a goal. IF we go ahead, I hope we don't just sit. We don't have the pace to play on the break without Lennon and Bale so it'll be tricky in that sense, I want us to play football for 90 minutes.

'Tottenham will be without star man Gareth Bale for tomorrow's Europa League game against Basel due to an ankle injury.

Aaron Lennon (knee), William Gallas (calf), and Jermain Defoe (pelvis) have not travelled with the squad but Tottenham expect all three, and midfielder Bale, to be back for the game against Emirates Marketing Project a week on Sunday.

Midfielder Sandro is out for the rest of the season with a knee injury, while centre-back Younes Kaboul (also knee) is around 10 to 15 days away from full fitness.'

Back