• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Scum ***

Broken record here again. At the end of the day the main difference in the game today was the 2 defences. Their attack looked as toothless as ours. Luckily IMO they effed up their best chances, was it Martinelli who in the first half broke clear and then fired a tame shot that was comfortable for Vic instead of squaring it for Saka to tap in and he had a 1 on 1 with Vic in the 2nd half. The big difference was every time we had a set piece it either never beat the first man or sailed harmlessly over every one into a space with no one attacking it. Yet every time they had a corner it was delivered well and caused us problems until the one time we switched off and they scored. The goal Havertz scored in Last seasons game at our place was nearly identical. New season same mistakes and problems. Its got to be a coaching and tactics problem. We will smash a few teams this year but any team organised and disciplined with a half decent attack can punish us.
Is it just me being a pessimistic old fart but nothing has changed really for ages. New players but the same old same old every game. Does any one on here really think we are going to click into gear and push for a top 4 finish or trophy with the way we are playing and the players we have?
Pretty sure they only had one corner that ended up in a shot. They delivery was poor apart from the one they scored from
There was also a flick header first half that vicario palmed away
That was it
The issue is we as fans know we’re not great at defending them and think they are more of a threat than they were
That’s not to say we can’t do much better on them
We had a few chances that came form corners too but there is so much more opportunity there if we work on it

Well, after that insurmountable one goal lead was established and it was clear we weren't capable of hitting back - it was clear by the 30 min. mark - I found it useful to just switch it off and do something else. No point watching some loudly ballyhooed Arsenal coronation.

So, got Wordle done in four and switched over to Spelling Bee (yes, I'm a NY Times subscriber). Before the end of the football match, found 40 words, 3 pangrams and earned Genius level with 209 points. Went off to work at an MLB game a happy and relaxed man. Made some great shots but doubt very many clients will use them. Did my job.

Looking now at Spurs as a project for the next two seasons before they're seriously capable of battling for top four. Might even be with a new manager, capable of being more than an easily-worked-out, one-trick pony. Arsenal are certainly providing a clear example of how to make the best of tactical changes when needed.

So don't expect me to be delivering dire pronouncements or emotional reactions. And at 68, constantly involved in covering professional sports, I'm increasingly convinced it's all bullschit anyway. Just an exercise in draining wallets for fresh laundry and overhyped 'fan experiences'. Great. So, let's say our club wins something. It lasts what feels like mere weeks and it's on to the next season. Happened twice here in Toronto (MLS and NBA) and neither provided a springboard for sustained success. Just forced up ticket, merchandise, and concession prices. Fcuk that action.

Last edited:
M
Pretty sure they only had one corner that ended up in a shot. They delivery was poor apart from the one they scored from
There was also a flick header first half that vicario palmed away
That was it
The issue is we as fans know we’re not great at defending them and think they are more of a threat than they were
That’s not to say we can’t do much better on them
We had a few chances that came form corners too but there is so much more opportunity there if we work on it
MartInelli should have scored when he was through. Could have squared across to saka too.

And they were without odegaard and rice.

I think we can do better but Ange needs to get the best from.his players and forget angeball as it is now.

Final balls and decision making are really really bad
I’m in the south stand and a guy behind me hates Johnson and Werner with a passion
Even he said why don’t we pass to Johnson … then we did twice, quickly late in the first half and both resulted in shots
I get some may think theses players aren’t the answer, but unless we play Ange ball the way it’s meant to be played we’re doomed. By that I mean quick passing like we saw at times last year. And again, I get we’re playing more low blocks ow but you don’t beat them by playing slow ball. We saw that under Poch
But surely ange is the one telling the players to slow the attack , not shoot , walk on the pitch? I mean look at our the..they seem to be playing with their wings clipped.

The joy has also seem to.go out from sarr and udogie.

I'm just a bit tired of it now. I knew exactly what was going to happen, and when it did, I felt almost nothing. I've had a season ticket for 30 years and I nearly didn't renew this season; at this stage, I don't think it likely that I will next time.

But surely ange is the one telling the players to slow the attack , not shoot , walk on the pitch? I mean look at our the..they seem to be playing with their wings clipped.

Son should be shooting more than ever instead of follow Ange to the letter. He's getting older but his shooting wouldn't have died down if he kept at it (who knows what state it is in now). Didn't watch the game but trying to score the same goal over and over was boring last season. Even when we had a better team than Arsenal they'd always beat us at their place, unsurprising that when they're much better they can beat us routinely home or away.

I thought it was quite balanced, they had chances, we had chances. But, i was just so surprised to see Romero not fight with Gabriel for that corner - looked pathetically at the ref after the goal for the push

I just think we weren't, again, snappy or quick enough in transition and didn't open them up

We look like we need more time, but we need to get momentum right now with some wins

Yep
But can play Ange ball
If that's Ange ball I'd rather not play it.
I do wonder about some people's tendency towards doom and gloom on here.

Its 4 games into the season, and we've had 63 shots on goal, 25 of which have been on target.

Anyone can see we're creating chances and not putting them away. Which is an issue, but if you want to have an issue then missing chances is better than not creating them. We were living on counter attack goals the season before last - now we're battering teams but not scoring (bar Everton).

Goals. Will. Come.

As for those saying we're not a very good team - we've beaten Arsenal, the Sky darlings and second coming of the Pep, on every metric you can find bar the result today. We stood toe to toe with them, and played our game, and for large parts of the game Arsenal couldn't live with it. Arsenal who are in their fifth season with Arteta, who joined them in Dec 2019, and who are in one of the veins of form of the last 20 years. If Solanki takes his chance in the first half, that could well have been a flood gates moment - and that is how we will be when the side clicks - we're going to smash teams by 4 and 5 to 1 or 2.

We can all berate the team for losing, we can moan about the manager being clueless, but if there's ever been a time to just hang in there as fans and let this team find its feet, then its now. We're not boring, we're not managed by a bellend with associations with another Prem team, and we have a squad that is rich in young players whose ceilings are really, really high.

I hate losing to Arsenal - it does my nut, but I am focussed on the bigger picture, and you play that game ten more times and we win it 9 times.
We could play that game 9 more times and we wouldn't score in any of them but we probably make a mistake that gets them the solitary goal they need to see the game out. I agree they weren't any great shakes but from their perspective it was an away game at their fiercest rivals own ground. They realistically just want a minimum of a draw, but no they got the win and in the end it was a very tame win at that.

I love your positivity but I don't which games you're watching where we are battering teams and just missing chances. We do have lots of the ball but we aren't making quality chances at all. I can't think of a great save Raya had to make today? Or the keeper against Saudi Sportswashing Machine?

For all this talk of how many shots we’re having, I’m finding it hard to remember any great chance for us yesterday.

For Solanke, it was his first start since coming back from injury so it’s no shock that he was a bit off it. But he works hard, can hold the ball up, gets stuck in and I believe that he can come good once he’s had a few matches for us. The problem is that as we didn’t score yesterday, and have been struggling to score, then more pressure is out on him.

I think Son definitely needs to be cutting in off the wing. May as well write off the left attacking corner of the pitch as none of our players can and should occupy that area. We have no natural left wide sided players. I also want to see Son cutting in and linking up with Solanke and getting shots away. We need to find a way to get the best out of both Son and Solanke, as if we don’t it’s going to be a very long, very mediocre season.

For anyone interested (I know many aren’t);

We currently have an Xpts of 6.76. I’d say that’s about right - had we converted either Leic or Newc to wins then we would be on 6 or 7 points and today wouldn’t feel as bad.

The damage was done in those games imo.

We have the 3rd biggest descrepancy of any team in the league (actual vs Xpts) and easily the worst of any team from our position upwards. Saudi Sportswashing Machine for example have Xpts of less than 4, but they’ve massively over achieved in pretty much all of their games.

This stuff SHOULD even itself out, but it has to happen sooner rather than later.

If that's Ange ball I'd rather not play it.

We could play that game 9 more times and we wouldn't score in any of them but we probably make a mistake that gets them the solitary goal they need to see the game out. I agree they weren't any great shakes but from their perspective it was an away game at their fiercest rivals own ground. They realistically just want a minimum of a draw, but no they got the win and in the end it was a very tame win at that.

I love your positivity but I don't which games you're watching where we are battering teams and just missing chances. We do have lots of the ball but we aren't making quality chances at all. I can't think of a great save Raya had to make today? Or the keeper against Saudi Sportswashing Machine?
We ain’t going away from Ange ball
Just be nice to see it again

No idea

Got to assume so as he is keeping those on and they are his leadership team

M

MartInelli should have scored when he was through. Could have squared across to saka too.

And they were without odegaard and rice.

I think we can do better but Ange needs to get the best from.his players and forget angeball as it is now.
Yep
But that’s not a set piece chance
Can be argued that Solanke should have scored when he had the whole goal but took the extra touches
He wing change his tactics or his system. He has to change a few players to liven it up

For anyone interested (I know many aren’t);

We currently have an Xpts of 6.76. I’d say that’s about right - had we converted either Leic or Newc to wins then we would be on 6 or 7 points and today wouldn’t feel as bad.

The damage was done in those games imo.

We have the 3rd biggest descrepancy of any team in the league (actual vs Xpts) and easily the worst of any team from our position upwards. Saudi Sportswashing Machine for example have Xpts of less than 4, but they’ve massively over achieved in pretty much all of their games.

This stuff SHOULD even itself out, but it has to happen sooner rather than later.
I guess we are having the start that many thought we would have last season. The fact we have not seen the quick play since is weird. And when we have the final ball has be beyond shocking. I so want us to kick into gear.....

Back