• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

The story I heard her tell was he said to her - this is going to be your next film, my production company have secured the rights and will make it for you, surprise.

The outcome may be fine, but the removal of choice just sounded a bit alarming from a coercive control radar pov
Sounds like a massive exaggeration

The story I heard her tell was he said to her - this is going to be your next film, my production company have secured the rights and will make it for you, surprise.

The outcome may be fine, but the removal of choice just sounded a bit alarming from a coercive control radar pov
Tbh that all hinges on whether she still had the option to say 'nah, I don't fancy it'.

What I read was she took some persuading by her husband who thought she would be amazing for the role
This is the thing, the nuance of that we just don't know.

In the alps this summer...we did the clip and climb and crazy Zipline thing...the Mrs is not really up for anything a bit scary or dangerous (she has the fear:))...but the daughter and I cajoled and convinced her to do it 'itll be fun' etc etc...i suppose we coerced her into it? But it's a comfort zone thing, similar to thinking I don't think I'm good enough, or this is beyond my ability/pay grade.

Ended up being one of the best things she'd ever done. Big smiles all round.

It could just be that.

Another angle is people sometimes get a bit miffed when they have pushed the boat out to get something organized (especially if it has taken a bit of legwork) and then they don't get the response THEY were expecting. Then start getting a bit moody and try and guilt trip you. Which is, of course, bad behavior in itself

This is the thing, the nuance of that we just don't know.

In the alps this summer...we did the clip and climb and crazy Zipline thing...the Mrs is not really up for anything a bit scary or dangerous (she has the fear:))...but the daughter and I cajoled and convinced her to do it 'itll be fun' etc etc...i suppose we coerced her into it? But it's a comfort zone thing, similar to thinking I don't think I'm good enough, or this is beyond my ability/pay grade.

Ended up being one of the best things she'd ever done. Big smiles all round.

It could just be that.

Another angle is people sometimes get a bit miffed when they have pushed the boat out to get something organized (especially if it has taken a bit of legwork) and then they don't get the response THEY were expecting. Then start getting a bit moody and try and guilt trip you. Which is, of course, bad behavior in itself

The first is alot better than the second IMO, talking someone into an experiences because you know they would enjoy it and be inclusive as a family.

The second happens because people want the adulation based on doing something nice and then sulk because they are not seen as a hero

On the original subject I was intrigued and did a little search and haven't seen or read anything about a manipulative fella?

Watched the Aussie drama Mystery Road on the BFI Player this morning, saving Goldstone for later tonight. Mystery Roard was excellent

Last edited:
Saw this at the BFI London Film Festival the other week (opening night gala & world premiere iirc :cool:) thought it was OK, looked/sounded great but didn't deliver much in terms of story

Nice! I was at a film festival screening here. I think McQueen is one of the greatest storytellers in cinema today. The story is very subtle IMO, several strands. He illustrates the racism which existed, the isolated tale of kids who were sent away via the main character, the heroism of the women left behind to keep things going (admittedly not a new story but one rarely called out) and most frighteningly, the direct comparison to how close we are as a society to that level of stress and strife. I freely admit I might be indulging in some confirmation bias as I love McQueen, but I found the film genuinely great.

I will add nothing tops his Small Axe series...good cinema will always generate opinions. Love it!

Nice! I was at a film festival screening here. I think McQueen is one of the greatest storytellers in cinema today. The story is very subtle IMO, several strands. He illustrates the racism which existed, the isolated tale of kids who were sent away via the main character, the heroism of the women left behind to keep things going (admittedly not a new story but one rarely called out) and most frighteningly, the direct comparison to how close we are as a society to that level of stress and strife. I freely admit I might be indulging in some confirmation bias as I love McQueen, but I found the film genuinely great.

I will add nothing tops his Small Axe series...good cinema will always generate opinions. Love it!

He's a director who has seemingly passed me by tbh, as despite knowing of him and his standing Blitz is actually the first film/show of his that I've seen...

Didn't get the same impression as you did from two of those particular strands - early on in the movie the racism angle came up, was non too subtle (imv) and quickly moved on from - then towards the end of the movie, with the immigration/bed sheet scene in the underground bomb shelter (assuming this is what you are refering to?) the point being made wasn't exactly subtle either and was kinda isolated - guess I expected to see more of a theme running throughout the film whereas both of these points felt tacked on in specific scenes.

He's a director who has seemingly passed me by tbh, as despite knowing of him and his standing Blitz is actually the first film/show of his that I've seen...

Didn't get the same impression as you did from two of those particular strands - early on in the movie the racism angle came up, was non too subtle (imv) and quickly moved on from - then towards the end of the movie, with the immigration/bed sheet scene in the underground bomb shelter (assuming this is what you are refering to?) the point being made wasn't exactly subtle either and was kinda isolated - guess I expected to see more of a theme running throughout the film whereas both of these points felt tacked on in specific scenes.

I have to encourage you to see 12 Years A Slave, Hunger and the tremendous Small Axe films; fantastic. I think what made the racism angle so intriguing for me is that you rarely see that specified/called out in WWII films, and it could very easily have undermined every effort we were making to fight the nazis. I saw it as a constant through the film - the way the lad was either shined on or largely viewed with contempt. I think the main overall storyline was (indeed) simple, in so much as it showed a specific angle of the various horrors and disruptions of the war on Britain, focussed on the women keeping it all together, and gave us a character to root for in terms of the lad getting home to his Mum. In fact, perhaps the most remarkable thing about it is how he captured the horror of war without showing a single Nazi. Timing-wise it definitely seemed like a pointed message as to where we could end up and the qualities which are important to hold onto...again, I am a biased fan of his work (in case you couldn't tell!!!!)

Hunger and Shame are both very good. I've not seen his more recent couple yet though

Back