• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T The England Thread

Does this mean England are bakc upto 3rd in the World? \o/

Joking apart, we should have been knocking 10 past them though. Think it might be time football had some sort of 2-tier system for international tournaments where the Lower ranked countries can play in their own tournament.
Europe for instance, bottom 16 or 17 out of the 53 play-off to qualify for a seperate tournament against lower-ranked teams from the other associations

Cuts out a few of these one-sided games. Some of the teams like San Marino,Leichtenstein,Faroe Islands,Andorra,Scotland (only joking),Kazakhstan,Malta have a chance to qualify for the final stages of a tourney for once, or in San Marinos case, actually win a proper game
The other 36 play in 9 groups of 4, which we should be more competitive due to the weaker teams weeded out. Less international breaks too, maybe?

Does this mean England are bakc upto 3rd in the World? \o/

Joking apart, we should have been knocking 10 past them though. Think it might be time football had some sort of 2-tier system for international tournaments where the Lower ranked countries can play in their own tournament.
Europe for instance, bottom 16 or 17 out of the 53 play-off to qualify for a seperate tournament against lower-ranked teams from the other associations

Cuts out a few of these one-sided games. Some of the teams like San Marino,Leichtenstein,Faroe Islands,Andorra,Scotland (only joking),Kazakhstan,Malta have a chance to qualify for the final stages of a tourney for once, or in San Marinos case, actually win a proper game
The other 36 play in 9 groups of 4, which we should be more competitive due to the weaker teams weeded out. Less international breaks too, maybe?

It would make more sense. Africa have play-offs before the group games, but that leaves the losers without games.

A qualifying tournament to get in the main group stage makes sense. Then the better of the minnows still get a chance to play the better sides, but they have to earn the right on the field. They could play the qualifying tournament during the World Cup and Euro slot or just before it.

Or you could add the middle ranking teams that failed to make the major tournament so the minnows get some real competition. If you don't qualify for the previous major tournament or make the playoffs you have to play the qualifiers. That means the minnows get to play England occasionally.

The poland match looks a tricky one. england need to win. i thought the interest in the national team reached an all time low under capello but with hodgson seems to have got worse. although that might be because the attention is normally on england when they are losing,but one thing about hodgson's reign is they have been pretty consistent so far.

i would play the following against poland

Hart

G Johnson Lescott Cahill A cole

Lennon Gerrard Carrick Ox

Defoe Rooney

The poland match looks a tricky one. england need to win. i thought the interest in the national team reached an all time low under capello but with hodgson seems to have got worse. although that might be because the attention is normally on england when they are losing,but one thing about hodgson's reign is they have been pretty consistent so far.

Despite the media campaign against Roy's appointment, he actually has the best record of any England manager since 1872...

England Manager's Records & Statistics 1872-2012

...but as you rightly point-out, England winning games against teams we would expect to beat is not going to sell newspapers.

England have only lost once to Poland since 1966 (the World Cup qualifier for the 1974 tournament in West Germany which saw the end of Alf Ramsey's reign) and although they are a decent outfit with a few very useful players, I would expect a draw on Tuesday in Warsaw at the very least.

It would make more sense. Africa have play-offs before the group games, but that leaves the losers without games.

A qualifying tournament to get in the main group stage makes sense. Then the better of the minnows still get a chance to play the better sides, but they have to earn the right on the field. They could play the qualifying tournament during the World Cup and Euro slot or just before it.

Or you could add the middle ranking teams that failed to make the major tournament so the minnows get some real competition. If you don't qualify for the previous major tournament or make the playoffs you have to play the qualifiers. That means the minnows get to play England occasionally.

Some good suggestions in there. Shame Uefa, or whoever, cant come up with something

He looked good against a team of semi-amateur 'players' from a country with population smaller than WHL.

I wish him well for the future and hope he goes on to establish a solid career somewhere but he made BAE look like Fabio Coentrao.

Serbia? :-k

Didn't know WHL could hold 8 million people. Someone should tell Mr Levy

I only caught the last 20 minutes of the game and was not really even concentrating while watching that. How did Aaron do?

2 assists, but not really properly involved in the game.

I liked it when the commentators mentioned how Walker and Lennon weren't really combining as they do when they play together for Spurs. Can only assume they don't watch us play much with that comment...

Lennon was kind of nullified by San Marino sitting so deep that Walker was essentially a right winger, which isn't really Walker's fault.

Walker withdrew?

apparently slight calf strain so carl jenkinson (despite not being eligible) trained with the squad. glen johnson will start anyway and probably rightly so (seems strange saying that about glen johnson)

i was thinking about the current england squad and as much as i want them to do well there just isnt any creativity in the squad. the likelihood is tonight we will see a midfield of gerrard, carrick, milner and ox. the first three are hardly creative (gerrard cant seem to drive teams forward any more) and i do wonder if the ox is either just pretty average or it is too soon for him to be an england regular.

i predict an england struggle tonight with wayne rooney predictably either getting booked or sent off due to his frustration at the crap around him

yep 1-1 tonight I reckon and that would be a good result actually. Roy will fill the centre of the park with cloggers and try to stifle the game. I'd be pleasently surprised if carrick plays, but it just seems like he doesn't rate him for whatever reason, seems to prefer the Henderson's/Shelvey's of this world.

yep 1-1 tonight I reckon and that would be a good result actually. Roy will fill the centre of the park with cloggers and try to stifle the game. I'd be pleasently surprised if carrick plays, but it just seems like he doesn't rate him for whatever reason, seems to prefer the Henderson's/Shelvey's of this world.

how many games have they started under Hodgson?

how many games have they started under Hodgson?

how many has a fully fit Carrick? I was more talking about the styles of player than anything. You can see with the constant inclusion of Milner that Hodgson favours hard work and commitment over ball playing ability. That's fine to a certain extent as well, makes us difficult to beat for sure, as the stats show. Not great to watch though and I don't think we've deserved half of the results we've had so far.

On another point, had Shelvey been playing at Liverpool last season and not out on loan in the Championship, I'd put money on he'd have been in the Euros squad as well.

Last edited:
how many has a fully fit Carrick? I was more talking about the styles of player than anything. You can see with the constant inclusion of Milner that Hodgson favours hard work and commitment over ball playing ability. That's fine to a certain extent as well, makes us difficult to beat for sure, as the stats show. Not great to watch though and I don't think we've deserved half of the results we've had so far.

On another point, had Shelvey been playing at Liverpool last season and not out on loan in the Championship, I'd put money on he'd have been in the Euros squad as well.

Shelvey has been highly rated since his Charlton days.....Jamie Redknapp raved about him back then, and still does. Spurs were apparently very interested in him back then, so Harry Redknapp must have been sufficiently impressed

I see more in Shelvey than i do in Henderson for example. Anyway there is a dearth of talented English players coming through, whatever we make of the Gerrards and Lampards, I think soon enough we will appreciate them a bit more when we see what the future holds.

apparently zaha is decent as is sterling, but other than that not too many coming through. seems a lot of highly rated youngsters fail to really take it to the top level. macachran and wickham evidence of that

Michael Carrick chose to miss the Euros because his wife wanted him to be available for the summer holidays with her and the kids..... allegedly

Under%20the%20thumb.jpg

Hodgson definitely appreciates hard work and commitment. I think he would like to marry that with ball playing ability too, but to find the players that offer both is quite hard

Watching England under Hodgson has been ok for me. Certainly no different to watching most England sides under years. The only England teams i really really loved watching were under Bobby Robson when he had players like Gascoigne, Waddle, Lineker, Beardsley available, and under venables during Euro 96

Back