• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T The England Thread

Gotta say, really unimpressed by Roy so far. He always struck me as a man of integrity. But his undying loyalty to Terry and Cole despite the circumstances is disconcerting at best and unsavoury at worst. We are not going to get past the quarter finals of the next two tournaments with or without those two fudgewits, so might as well lose without them.

Harry wouldve done exactly the same though

squad or side?? i never saw an England side with 7 Liverpool players

for me, the most questionable picks were Henderson and Downing. The others i have no problem with

as i said, Walker has been poor for Spurs but still gets picked for England. I couldnt believe Livermore was picked recently and actually played :eek: If anything his Spurs selections are just as dubious as his Liverpool ones:)

This, I know it's a difficult task to freshen the squad up but it's all about knowing which old boys have had their time and which can still serve a purpose until the young players are ready to step up. Things like not playing someone like Carrick (who, even though not world class, could keep possession all day long) and having players like Livermore or Henderson in there is just wrong.

Think Hodgson has done a good job all in all, on the playing field we seem to be much more comfortable in possession.....

Ahead of Friday's international against San Marino, Tottenham's Kyle Walker says the presence of former Manchester United right-back Gary Neville in the England coaching staff is helping to improve his game.

Walker told BBC Sport: "I'm young, I want to improve and become the best I can be. Having Gary Neville here - a player I look up to and watch, is great. He gives me tips and coaches me through. I'm excited to be working with him and playing with the players we are playing with."

This, I know it's a difficult task to freshen the squad up but it's all about knowing which old boys have had their time and which can still serve a purpose until the young players are ready to step up. Things like not playing someone like Carrick (who, even though not world class, could keep possession all day long) and having players like Livermore or Henderson in there is just wrong.

agree with this.

ENGLAND PRIDE FOR ANDROS

Andros Townsend says he’s honoured to take his place in the England Under-21 squad for the vital European Championship play-off against Serbia.

A place in the finals is up for grabs as the teams meet first at Norwich’s Carrow Road on Friday and then travel to the Mladost Stadium, Krusevac for the return on Tuesday.

The winners join hosts Israel and seven play-off winners in the finals in June, 2013.

Andros has already made six appearances for us this season and marked his first start of the campaign with a superb goal against Carlisle in the Capital One Cup.

“It’s good to know that you are recognised for playing well and being called-up for such an important play-off is a real honour,” he said.

“It’s great to know the manager (Stuart Pearce) has the trust to bring me into the squad for such vital matches.

“All I can do now is try to train with confidence and repeat what I’ve been doing with Spurs.”

Andros is joined in the squad by Spurs team-mates Steven Caulker, Adam Smith and Danny Rose, who is on loan at Sunderland for the season.

The first leg kicks-off at 6pm at Carrow Road.

UEFA U-21 Championships Israel 2013

There's no better English striker at the moment than Defoe.

And Lennon has been in excellent form this season.

So I fully expect both to be on the bench.

I think Defoe will start with rooney behind him. lennon probably should start but I imagine he might go with adam johnson (if he is in the squad?) or failing that the ox or walcott.

Caption comp?

153796826.jpg

ANDROS DESERVES U21S CALL - STEFFEN

A0787.jpg

Steffen Freund insists Andros Townsend's call into the England Under-21 squad is just reward for his efforts this season.

The winger has featured six times already this term, including three substitute appearances in the Premier League and his sole start in the Capital One Cup was capped by a fantastic goal in our 3-0 win at Carlisle.

Andros, 21, is now after his first England Under-21 cap in the European U21 Championship play-off against Serbia having represented his country at Under-17 and Under-19 level.

The first leg is at Norwich's Carrow Road on Friday night (6pm) before the return in Serbia on Tuesday - the winners qualify for next summer's finals in Israel.

"From the first moment this season, he’s tried to fight for a place in the team," said Steffen.

"Can you imagine, as 21 year-old, you have in front of you Gareth Bale, one of the best wingers around?

"Andros keeps going, he trains well, he’s always there if you need him, always strong, creates something, he played fantastic at Carlisle and scored as well.

"Now he’s with the Under-21s and that’s great for him to be involved in two big games against Serbia.

"It’s fantastic to work with Andros because he likes to improve and I think over the next few years, he’ll be one of the biggest talents in England."

For those that care: Wayne Rooney has been named England captain for match with San Marino.

[h=1]Kyle Walker ready to make England impact alongside his Steel City hero[/h] The defender idolised Phil Jagielka while coming through the ranks at Sheffield United. Now they're England team-mates

England-Training-Session--008.jpg
Kyle Walker says sitting and eating with his childhood hero Phil Jagielka is an honour. 'Sometimes he tries to get me a bowl of soup at dinner and I have to say to him: "You can’t be doing that. Let me get you some soup."' Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images

Kyle Walker has spent his week feeling star-struck. There was the slightly awkward moment when the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge strode across the pristine playing surface on the elite practice pitch at St George's Park to meet the England squad and, in his own words, "a boy from Sheffield shook hands with royalty". The small talk might have felt rather contrived, but at least that fleeting set-piece for the cameras had been stage-managed. It is actually the boyhood hero with whom Walker now rubs shoulders who leaves him tongue-tied.
The Tottenham Hotspur full-back's obsession with Phil Jagielka was forged in the Steel City. It dates from the days when Walker sat in the stands at Bramall Lane and chorused the home player's name with the rest of the Sheffield United faithful, the youngster who was then making his name under Neil Warnock hoisted to iconic status by a half-volleyed injury-time equaliser from 35 yards against Terry Venables's Leeds in a League Cup tie a decade ago. These days the pair are England team-mates expected to line up alongside each other against San Marino on Friday. Walker may regret his honesty, and the veneration apparently never extended to tacking a poster of his hero to his bedroom wall, but his secret is still out.
"I'm a Sheffield United boy so, growing up, it was Brian Deane and then, when I fell back into defence, it was Phil," he said. "He was a hero of mine. I was jumping up and down in the Family stand, where they put the youth team, when he scored that goal against Leeds. He took it down on his chest, half-volleyed it and it's flown in. And I was the ball boy behind the net when he went in goal [against Arsenal in a Premier League fixture in December 2006 which the hosts won 1-0]. He kept telling me to slow down when I was retrieving the ball. So I have seen some sights with him.
"He was at the club when they went up to the Premiership and I signed my scholarship, but he moved on to Everton just as I was coming through. I've never told him he was a hero of mine, so don't make his head too big, but to come here and play with him, to sit with and eat with him is an honour. Sometimes he tries to get me a bowl of soup at dinner and I have to say to him: 'You can't be doing that. Let me get you some soup.' Just sitting next to him having dinner's pretty good."
The respect feels quirky, if also refreshing: a case of a club's youth-team product having inspired those graduates still working their way up a productive system with the Blades. And yet it does also offer an indication of progression within the England set-up. Walker will earn his first competitive cap against San Marino in the absence of the suspended Glen Johnson, and will have the opportunity to stake a claim to retain his place for Tuesday's far more daunting trip to Poland. The Spurs right-back's form is impressive at club level, a galloping presence going forward who, like most young full-backs in the Premier League, is admittedly still seeking to add to his defensive game. That assurance, hopefully, will come with experience.
But, having missed out on a place at Euro 2012 with a toe injury, Walker is now established as direct competition for Johnson, ahead of Micah Richards and with Chris Smalling and Phil Jones – who have both featured for England at right-back even if they are centre-halves at heart – now injured. San Marino will offer little threat and will be vulnerable to his raids down the flank. This is a chance to impose himself in an anticipated mismatch, even if his own assessment of relatively rapid progress – Kyle Naughton, with whom he was transferred to White Hart Lane for a joint deal worth around £9m, was supposed to been the immediate "contender" of the pair – remains realistic.
"I've done nothing: I'm 22 and I've done absolutely nothing in my career so far," he said. "I had a good last season, winning young player of the year, but that's just the start and, hopefully, I can go on. I'm young. I want to improve. I want to become the best I can be. Gary Neville is here on the coaching staff, a player I looked up to and watched often in the past, and someone who gives me tips. I'm excited to be working with him and playing with the players I am.
"My defending is improving every week. It's just about experience and learning off the likes of Joleon Lescott, Phil Jagielka and Gary Cahill. Glen Johnson is a world-class right-back, someone I've got a lot to do [to displace], but hopefully my time will come. I have to be patient. And then there's Ashley [Cole]. To have nearly 100 caps, he must be doing something right so you try and be a sponge, pick up on what he's doing and take it into your own game. Watching him play, seeing what he has achieved … that's what I want to achieve, too."
That his first competitive opportunity should come in what should prove an uncompetitive qualifier does not detract from the sense of occasion. San Marino may have lost 108 of their 114 games, a team out of its depth on this stage, but Walker cannot see past a cap and his chance to impress. "Who wouldn't be excited? From the age of seven, this is what I've wanted to do: play for my country. I don't treat games any differently, whether it's Manchester United, Real Madrid or San Marino. We have to show them respect and do the job, not showboat and show off."
Heaven forbid Jagielka attempts an early step-over. The full-back at his side might offer up a tongue lashing, childhood idol or not.

I unfortunately haven't been able to watch as much of the season as I'd like to, if Walker's form is as sketchy as made out to be on here I'm not sure whether he should really be playing for England at this time, but he does seem to have a really good attitude and takes every game as it comes. And generally owns up when he has a shocker as well.

His crossing seems to be improving with the effort that Dempsey should have netted, but having only watched highlights I obviously don't know how well he played throughout.

Although the international break is annoying I guess it's come at a good time and hopefully folks like Kaboul Benny Naughton Livermore will be close to fitness or available to us by the time we face Chelsea.

Happy to hear Freund's comments about Townsend, as soon as one of Lennon or Bale does get injured (which they inevitably will do) this praise will hopefully have him raring to go and take the opportunity. Only issue being that sometimes Townsend can seem a bit overkeen ie trying waaay to much when at times simply retaining possession and moving the ball on will do but he's definitely unpredictable and means we're not fudged if we lose a pacy winger to injury

Edit: That last line about Walker offering "Jags" a tongue lashing definitely sounds gay.

CAULKER ON 'MASSIVE' PLAY-OFF

A0789.jpg

Steven Caulker can’t wait for England’s play-off against Serbia for a place in the European Under-21 Championship Finals next summer.

The Young Lions face Serbia over two legs with the winners booking a ticket to Israel in June, 2013.

The first leg is at Norwich City’s Carrow Road on Friday night - kick-off 6pm – with the return in Serbia next Tuesday, October 16.

Steven joined up with Stuart Pearce’s squad having started four of our last five games here at Spurs.

The central defender is in fine form and claimed his first Spurs goal - albeit somewhat fortuitously - to help us to a 2-0 win against Villa on Sunday.

“This is a massive couple of games for us,” said Steven.

“We’ll go into it with confidence as we won a lot of our matches in qualifying. But we know it will be tough.”

Steven is looking for his seventh cap at Under-21 level and played in four of eight of the qualifying matches, scoring twice.

He’s joined in the squad by Spurs team-mates Danny Rose, Adam Smith and Andros Townsend.

“It’s great to have lots of Spurs players involved,” he said.

“Andros made his Premier League debut against Reading, he’s come on a few times (this season) and done really well, I’m delighted he’s been called-up.”

England won their group comfortably, winning seven matches in eight while Serbia were unbeaten, winning five of eight matches to top their group.

UEFA Under-21 Championships Israel 2013

Back