• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

If we didn't back Mourinho why would we back Conte.

I'm not sure, but there's also rumors of a deal for the naming rights of the stadium being close, so maybe that could free up some dosh. I wouldn't really count on those rumors to be true, though, but you never know - you would imagine it being a bit more of a lucrative thing now that things are opening up a bit.

I'm not sure, but there's also rumors of a deal for the naming rights of the stadium being close, so maybe that could free up some dosh. I wouldn't really count on those rumors to be true, though, but you never know - you would imagine it being a bit more of a lucrative thing now that things are opening up a bit.

- We hired Jose, we gave him seven players, yes maybe in hindsight the prioritization of the CB was an issue but he got 7 players on top of Ndombele & Lo Celso
- We are not going to hire Conte and not give him some budget, and that's the negotiation happening right now if things are to be believed.

Since the stadium finished, we have been spending on players, it will likely be the same this summer.

But I'll be on this board in 2030 and someone will say .. remember that 18 months when we didn't buy anyone ..

- We hired Jose, we gave him seven players, yes maybe in hindsight the prioritization of the CB was an issue but he got 7 players on top of Ndombele & Lo Celso
- We are not going to hire Conte and not give him some budget, and that's the negotiation happening right now if things are to be believed.

Since the stadium finished, we have been spending on players, it will likely be the same this summer.

But I'll be on this board in 2030 and someone will say .. remember that 18 months when we didn't buy anyone ..

Dont be silly Levy would have been long gone by then and we would be perennial super kings of England and Europe.

At the end of the day the league cup is worth £2m the cl is worth £100m. That's how levy sees it. Mourinhos primary goal when brought in would be to get into the cl.
Whoever comes in it will be the same. Many fans might disagree with it (which is fair enough) but that's the way it is.

All ifs buts and maybes - but winning it would have shown Kane that we're a club who can win trophies and could well have been the catalyst for some belief within the squad that we can get over the line.

Ok, but even just taking the initial intent of the question, which was around the idea that people wanting Poch back are romantic about him and what he did for us before, rather than being confident he’s the right guy for the future. Taking it like this specifically, if the club he did it for was Everton, I would absolutely still say he was one of the best managers around and would happily take him here.

I don’t think it needs to be a debate around whether Everton was a fair comparison as a club - they were just picked as a club who have a relatively similar spend to us and who if they made better decisions might be able to do what we have done. But taking the romance out of it, if we were presented with a manager who took Everton (or Saudi Sportswashing Machine, or someone similar sized) to regular top 3 finishes, 2 genuine titles challenges, a CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL!!!, and did this all with no signings for 18 months, 2 years away from the home stadium, and a £20m net spend average over 5 seasons, I’d say yes, I’d take that guy in a heartbeat and wouldn’t need to think about it.

FWIW, I think it is a fair comparison. For Walker/Rose/Kane etc, you can easily read Baines/Coleman/Stones/Lukaku. Point is, they’ve had some top players over the years. Under Martinez they actually made 72 points in his first season. Even if we accept that Poch found a tonne of great talent, the level he took them to, those achievements above, was ridiculous and not predictable at all. That allowed him to keep Kane for longer than we would usually have been able to do. If Everton were doing the same they might have kept some of their top players.

But point is, I don’t think Spurs were suddenly destined to just gatecrash the top 4. I think we might have had the odd top 4 finish under a different manager alongside the occasional 5th or 6th, and I don’t think anyone would have really batted an eyelid. In the same way some people will say Reguillon is terrible now, Rose would have been looked at as a pacey but inconsistent full back, not one of the best in the world.

If he did the same with Arsenal, he would have taken them back to something of the level they had under Wenger. They have a bigger wage budget and commercial income and had over 20 years of regular CL. Of course that wouldn’t be as impressive. But taking a perennial top 6 club and doing what he did with us, that level of achievement was ridiculous and puts him among the best in the world for me, as a managerial talent. Rodgers has also not done similar at Leicester.

He has the full package; modern, up to date coaching methods. Ability to coach well through a league season. Ability to coach well over two legged European ties. I don’t think he gets tactically outclassed (he may get beaten of course, but his tactical capability and strategy over two legs or in big domestic games is on par with the best he’s faced). He needs to win something, but I think he’ll easily win more important trophies at clubs he will manage that are at the level he deserves.

But to go back to the original point, it isn’t just romance, I genuinely think he is top tier and I’d be saying it if he did for Everton or Saudi Sportswashing Machine what he did for us. I think the achievements and how ridiculous they were are being downplayed and I don’t quite get why. We were not a club suddenly expected to make that leap. There’s also a significant delta between Kane becoming a decent PL striker, a good PL striker, and one of the best in the world. He may have made it and maybe always was going to make it, but he could have easily been Danny Ings, it wasn’t obvious he would be this Harry Kane.

I've checked the facts (as opposed to my memories) and while I still disagree with the comparison, I understand where you're coming from. I also still wouldn't call Pochettino one of the best in the worlds, but language (particularly foreign ones) is a funny thing: it could be that we agree but just give different meanings to the same words. Top tier, I can certainly agree with; best in the world seems far-fetched to me, at least at this point in his career.

don't think conte is coming, never did believe it.
this has been handled very badly. i'm not one for slagging levy but this turning into a bit of a mess now.
go and get either poch or eth. problem could be that the world knows we want poch and poch wants us, so who is going to take the job knowing that as soon as poch is out a job (which with psg could be anythime) the first choice is standing in wings?

I'm still blindly hoping this whole thing was a charade for the benefit of PSG

A naming rights deal won't be a game changer. It would barely cover the new manager's salary. It'll be about 1/4 of what annual shirt sponsorship is worth

NWHL opening for full capacity gigs/rugby/NFL again would be significant through

I've checked the facts (as opposed to my memories) and while I still disagree with the comparison, I understand where you're coming from. I also still wouldn't call Pochettino one of the best in the worlds, but language (particularly foreign ones) is a funny thing: it could be that we agree but just give different meanings to the same words. Top tier, I can certainly agree with; best in the world seems far-fetched to me, at least at this point in his career.

I'd not go there, Poch has become like one of those injured players who gets better in the mind every week he doesn't play.

He was almost the perfect manager for us at a point in time but clearly had a lot to do to be included in best in the world, however the reaction here is something else, e.g. the hoping Conte is a smoke screen for Poch .. fudging hell ..

I'd not go there, Poch has become like one of those injured players who gets better in the mind every week he doesn't play.

He was almost the perfect manager for us at a point in time but clearly had a lot to do to be included in best in the world, however the reaction here is something else, e.g. the hoping Conte is a smoke screen for Poch .. fudging hell ..

63% of GG members want Poch compared to 13% Conte, so it's quite a widespread belief that Poch is the outstanding candidate for us.

I've read on here that we should have finished comfortably anywhere from 2nd to 4th and won the Europa League and it was only down to the manager that we didn't.

Not at all, the reason we did none of that is we have too many players who have been a disgrace since the end of Pochs era.

Depends on whether we tried and failed to get those types of players in. It would be quite a step down for Stones and Rudiger is always going to be hard considering who he currently plays for

Asking Levy to pay massively over the odds for players goes against his basic principle of the clubs stability being the main concern and I agree with that

I don't disagree, but if Conte is coming he is only doing so for the pay off in 18 months time

Back