• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
My posting history's been the same throughout - people just remember it differently. ;) If you'd caught me on VitalSpurs waaaaay back (talking 2010 days), you'd find a different me that wholeheartedly believed Levy's flimflam, but our failures in the January window in 2012 showed me how wrong I was, and it's only gotten worse since.

As for the second bit, plenty of time -

>'it'll cost 20m to get me/my client'
>'Bit high, can you/your client burn some bridges with your club so we can work on lowering that?'
>'I don't/my client doesn't feel great continuing this conversation'

Once it was doubtful on if we were fully committed, Slot committed to Feyenoord since you don't want to tinkle fans and the club off after so recently being a hero to them.

That whole cycle can happen in a day, mate. Think back to when we signed VdV - that deal, from possibility to signing, happened in a few *hours*, as per Redknapp. Same thing applies here.

Why does the same thing apply here? Because it happened once in a completely unrelated situation? Where did you find out that Spurs asked Slot to "burn bridges?"

You talk in such absolutes, but it’s mostly just gonad*s you’ve read on the internet and your own miserable read on the situation.

Ramon ‘Miserable’ Vega at it now.

Why can’t these people accept that Daniel is GHod’s representative on earth; that we should be glad that he walks amongst us; and that he may soon perform a modern day miracle by blessing us with the presence of Ange Postecoglou at our club? (Although possibly not, if you believe the ‘miserabilists’ at The Daily Record today.)

HALLELUJAH!

Ramon ‘Miserable’ Vega at it now.

Why can’t these people accept that Daniel is GHod’s representative on earth; that we should be glad that he walks amongst us; and that he may soon perform a modern day miracle by blessing us with the presence of Ange Postecoglou at our club? (Although possibly not, if you believe the ‘miserabilists’ at The Daily Record today.)

HALLELUJAH!

That's the thing; you jump straight to hyperbole and completely ignore that middle ground. I've criticised Levy many times. I think he should have let Conte go during the World Cup and to not do that, sign a RWB, sack Conte and appoint Stellini, sack him and end up with Mason is a shambolic series of events.

Given Ange's history of resigning from Australia on the eve of the World Cup because he didn't agree with the FA, I think he is one of the most likely to turn Spurs down because of the current situation.

But yeah, GHod and all that.

€20m is high in the manager market relatively speaking but I would imagine we would be prepared to go to around €10m, so my feeling is that if we are convinced on Slot’s credentials and considering the very worrying downward spiral we are in (not even to mention the Kane situation) I would be inclined to pay the extra €10m. It is after all relatively small change in the football world.

That's what doesn't add up in this story. We're told the board want to take their time to appoint the right man for the job. Fair enough although I'm willing to bet that if I gave two weeks to anyone on this board to set up a report on potential new managers - with nothing else to do all day - most would finish in one. But, okay, take your time if you need it. Two months later, you identify Slot as the man you want and you can't pay 10-20m for THE man, they guy at the top of the list you put together for two months?

You've got to be kidding me.

Where’s the evidence of 1?
There is no hard evidence just reports from respected sauces but I didn't claim there was in the first place.

I was merely pointing out that point 1 does not conflict with point 2 whereas you seemed to think point 2 rendered point 1 moot.

The two situations can absolutely co-exist.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

That's what doesn't add up in this story. We're told the board want to take their time to appoint the right man for the job. Fair enough although I'm willing to bet that if I gave two weeks to anyone on this board to set up a report on potential new managers - with nothing else to do all day - most would finish in one. But, okay, take your time if you need it. Two months later, you identify Slot as the man you want and you can't pay 10-20m for THE man, they guy at the top of the list you put together for two months?

You've got to be kidding me.

1. Identify Slot as a top target
2. Wait until Feyenoord have won the league to sound out Slot's agent
3. Begin negotiations with Feyenoord
4. Surprise at €20m asking figure, want to take some time to consider/negotiate
5. Slot signs a new contract

2-5 have all taken place over the past week or so. This is not even 10 days old:

It really ramped up around here, four(!) days ago:

Last edited:
Re rodgers at celtic, his trophies were meaningless, even less so than psg, he led celtic to thier two biggest European defeats and insisted on transfers that were very expensive disasters. Some of whom are still there and haven't been seen for a long time.
At the first sign of a potential challenge he ran, mid season.

Re rodgers at celtic, his trophies were meaningless, even less so than psg, he led celtic to thier two biggest European defeats and insisted on transfers that were very expensive disasters. Some of whom are still there and haven't been seen for a long time.
At the first sign of a potential challenge he ran, mid season.

There's going to be question marks around any manager we get, and barring a u-turn by Slot or Levy (eg going back to JN or calling Poch) our options look like:

1. Ange, if we can agree a release fee with Celtic
2. Rodgers
3. Potter, if we can get to him before he signs for Nice

Personally I'd try Potter or Rodgers as I dont know much about Ange and whilst he could possibly be great, he doesnt know the PL and hasnt managed in any major league despite being 57.

Either way, we need a manager and DoF soon! We have 7 senior players and at least 3 'youth' players returning from loan soon, in addition to the 20-25 person or whatever size squad we have. The new guy will have 30+ players at the first day of pre-season so could do with as much prep time as possible to work out who he does or doesnt want!

1. Identify Slot as a top target
2. Wait until Feyenoord have won the league to sound out Slot's agent
3. Begin negotiations with Feyenoord
4. Surprise at €20m asking figure, want to take some time to consider/negotiate
5. Slot signs a new contract

I understand that's the way you see it but it doesn't make sense. In which world do you wait for the man to win the title to speak with his agent? Oddly enough, you seem to be twisting the facts to fit in with your narrative or you chose to believe everything the club say (which is admirable but unrealistic). So Slot wanted to come here but because we told him we'd 'think about it' he just threw his toys out of the pram and signed a new contract with Feyenoord? That doesn't make any sense.

Just out of curiosity, let's assume for a moment that we end up with Potter or Rodgers. Would you say they were 'top targets' too? Bonus question: why do so many people in world football question the way we go about our dealings? Because they're mean? Because they don't get it?

The amount of money spent on sacking managers could have been spent on players said managers wanted. Make it make sense. We are gonna head into pre season with nobody aren't we??

Please not Rodgers. I'll never warm to the guy, and I need something to make me reconnect with Spurs again as I'm losing interest.

Lots of us are the same - the connection between fans and club as weak as I've ever seen it (I'm 44).

I don't see any of the remaining options have a chance of rebuilding that - Poch, Slot and possibly JN might have done that. I don't think Ange, Rodgers or Potter would do so. So unless Levy goes back to one of those 3, which is hard to see, that connection will weaken further which will weak Spurs 'the business'.

Arguments for Rodgers:
- his teams pass the ball
- he uses youth
- he knows the PL and his record at Liverpool wasn't bad given where they were - won just over 50% of games and finished 2nd, 6th and 7th. Took Swansea to 11th in the PL, Leicester finishes were 5th, 5th and 8th

I've no idea where we go if we can't land those 3 (Ange, Potter, Rodgers) mind you!

Last edited:
Please not Rodgers. I'll never warm to the guy, and I need something to make me reconnect with Spurs again as I'm losing interest.
It's like my Last finger is holding on. Come August it may as well have let go. This feeling is worse than under Sherwood. AVB etc tenure. And it's cos it's been good and now they have had a hand in the decline.

Poch under contract til this year. 6 managers apparently we have had between that.

I'm pretty over it. We can't expect to keep doing the same things and get a different result.

Happy summer holidays everyone!!

We are gonna head into pre season with nobody aren't we??

Nonsense.

Ndombele, GLC, Rodon, Winks, Reguilon, Gil, Spence, White, Parrott and Scarlett will be returning along with all the first team squad from last season plus Udogie.

Hope the weather is good as some might need to change outside!

I understand that's the way you see it but it doesn't make sense. In which world do you wait for the man to win the title to speak with his agent? Oddly enough, you seem to be twisting the facts to fit in with your narrative or you chose to believe everything the club say (which is admirable but unrealistic). So Slot wanted to come here but because we told him we'd 'think about it' he just threw his toys out of the pram and signed a new contract with Feyenoord? That doesn't make any sense.

Just out of curiosity, let's assume for a moment that we end up with Potter or Rodgers. Would you say they were 'top targets' too? Bonus question: why do so many people in world football question the way we go about our dealings? Because they're mean? Because they don't get it?

Don't have an answer to the first part about waiting til they've won the title, maybe Slot said he wouldn't entertain anything until then? Can only speculate.

As usual, the club has said nothing, so how am I choosing to believe what they say?

There were reports (like this one) that Slot was keen to stay and take Feyenoord to the Champions League. Maybe they were able to convince him to stay. Maybe Spurs balked at the compensation figure and that put Slot off. I didn't say he threw his toys out of the pram.

I would not say Potter or Rodgers are top-class. I've said for the past couple of weeks that I think our top 3 candidates are Slot, Ange and Amorim, with Luis Enrique being of interest. If an out-of-work manager was a top target, it would have happened already.

I couldn't give a fudge if Jose Mourinho, Ramon Vega, some journalist looking for some clicks or a dingdonghead on Twitter criticises the club.

Lots of us are the same - the connection between fans and club as weak as I've ever seen it (I'm 44).

I don't see any of the remaining options have a chance of rebuilding that - Poch, Slot and possibly JN might have done that. I don't think Ange, Rodgers or Potter would do so. So unless Levy goes back to one of those 3, which is hard to see, that connection will weaken further which will weak Spurs 'the business'.

I get that you don't want Ange, but have a look into the Celtic reaction before and after his appointment and you might feel a little bit more optimistic about his ability to build a connection between the club and fans. As I've said ad nauseam, that's the main reason I want him.

Why would we got for ange?
What are his strengths?
No one has actually written that down anywhere
He has plenty of fans but I haven’t seen anything that tells me why
I know a bit about his career but don’t watch Celtic so have no idea about his team

I don't want him and will be Levy Out if it is.....Seriously

Interestingly though many have said "why were we not planning ahead" with management choice, well there was a time that he was high stock as was Leicester, certainly flavour of the mouth, people on here who are now bashing on about him definitely wanted him at a time (I was never one) so imagine had the club earmarked him at the start of this season, good planning right? Wrong,.....football is never like that and thankfully is not run like it is on paper. One of the biggest things I read on here are complaints about circumstances changing and people wanting to attribute a blame, but thats football, whats true of yesterday is rarely true of tomorrow, things are changing all the time, there is more a middle ground than this idea you plan fully ahead and it be the best course of action, the truth is there needs to be a certain level of dynamism otherwise you would end up with a busted flushed manager and a team rank out of form. Same for players, you can plan ahead and say you want X,Y,Z as a long term replacement for Kane a year or two in advance, but if you are not taking their current form into account when puling the trigger you are not doing your job IMO, but then you are met with "where is the planning" truth is its better somewhere in the middle TBH.

Waiting for Slot was likely the right thing to do, it has not worked because that happens in the game, not justifying it but thats the case in football.

Disclaimer, thats not a narrative, reframing a narrative, defending the club....thats just an opinion

I still don't understand why the club is refusing to pay the release fee for Slot. Was the appeal of him just that the board felt they could sell everyone and give him minimal money to spend and he'd still improve us?

If he was seen as the man to rebuild, get us to challenge and work within constraints, then surely just pay the money.

Back