• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

Think this is pretty sad to be honest. At the end at Chelsea, he had them playing which suggested to me that he had a lot more to offer at the top. I really thought he was perfect for Man U.

Hope this works out for him. Great man but can't help but feel if this is part of him winding down, he's left much potential unfulfilled.

Think the us have pulled out all the stops to get the best coach they can. They have the world cup in a couple of years. Bet he's getting a nice package.

Saw some commentary that this is the core of why he agreed, WC coverage, US will have tons of sponsorship

Think this is pretty sad to be honest. At the end at Chelsea, he had them playing which suggested to me that he had a lot more to offer at the top. I really thought he was perfect for Man U.

Hope this works out for him. Great man but can't help but feel if this is part of him winding down, he's left much potential unfulfilled.
I think there are not many clubs he would like to go to who will risk him. All evidence suggests that he is not a really elite manager. The US job will suit him, I think.

He is only 52 so think it's probably just a nice break rather than him looking to wind down.

...wow.
Arguably one brick penalty decision away from winning the greatest club trophy of them all...
I suppose there’s an argument that those who are really elite managers consistently win the big trophies. And they get the calls right which get their teams over the line when the moment comes (should Kane have started in the CL Final? Son at LB in the League Cup Final?).

He’s a very good manager for me - but not elite. His time at our club was incredibly special though.

I suppose there’s an argument that those who are really elite managers consistently win the big trophies. And they get the calls right which get their teams over the line when the moment comes (should Kane have started in the CL Final? Son at LB in the League Cup Final?).

He’s a very good manager for me - but not elite. His time at our club was incredibly special though.

Yes, there is always a counter argument to be found in the case of Poch, but I think that in modern football, the elite managers who win really big trophies also have considerable squads with some very expensive world class acquisitions. Poch spent nearly two seasons managing us through a rebuild, a new stadium build, and hardly any money to spend at all (top 4 every time). I think he endured some terrible luck at critical moments. It is widely accepted as a projection that had we remained at the old Lane for one more season, we might well have won the title. I think the Sonny game you mean was the FA Cup SF? A decision which did not work out that's for sure!!! Kane in the CL Final? I don't think there's a manager who would not have started him TBH.

Ken Griffin, eh? Major donor to the Republican party. Even more reason for us Canucks to wanna beat the Yanks.

And we did, 2-1, in sweltering Kansas City this past week. First win in the US since 1957.

Poch has much work to do.

Yes, there is always a counter argument to be found in the case of Poch, but I think that in modern football, the elite managers who win really big trophies also have considerable squads with some very expensive world class acquisitions. Poch spent nearly two seasons managing us through a rebuild, a new stadium build, and hardly any money to spend at all (top 4 every time). I think he endured some terrible luck at critical moments. It is widely accepted as a projection that had we remained at the old Lane for one more season, we might well have won the title. I think the Sonny game you mean was the FA Cup SF? A decision which did not work out that's for sure!!! Kane in the CL Final? I don't think there's a manager who would not have started him TBH.

What you say is so true. I think I counted that Poch had to rip out over 30 senior players in 2 consecutive summers when he first joined. He then worked with literally no net spending for his first 4 years before the CL final monies and stadium opened allowed Levy to loosen the purse strings. The reality hit me in the summer of 2017. We had just finished 2nd to Chelsea on 86 points, and Walker left. That was a year after getting 70 points, wheh Leicester won the league. Then I watched Levy have to enforce another zero net spending summer of crap players with Moura joining in the January. Thing is, Poch's brand of football needed refresh and a bigger squad. It was like Klopp's and we were at the stage where we had the burnout from only using the same 12 or 13 players for so long. The biggest victims were Dele and Eriksen who had run themselves into the ground. We needed more of that quality in those key positions especially with 3 or 4 of them getting to the senior age.

I also never liked it how the football world blamed Poch for having a summer of no spending a year later. Even though I had realised that Spurs would be on a decline from the height of 2017, I could also see that the recruitment team and the budget had stopped Poch getting any players he wanted. He had become sick of having to take the 3rd or 4th choice options. He made his stand and that was the beginning of the end, despite somehow getting to a CL final. Some would say that May 2019 was our peak because the footballing gods allowed us to get to that final. It really wasn't. Our league form was awful that point and we finished on 71 points. More concerning, a disproportionate amount of those points came from the first half of the season.

The luxuries that Ange has now far outweigh what Poch went through. Fortunately for us, Ange will never have it as tough as Poch did.

He might be out of a job in November if Trump wins; as an immigrant taking an American job he’ll be run out of the country sharpish.
...shoul
What you say is so true. I think I counted that Poch had to rip out over 30 senior players in 2 consecutive summers when he first joined. He then worked with literally no net spending for his first 4 years before the CL final monies and stadium opened allowed Levy to loosen the purse strings. The reality hit me in the summer of 2017. We had just finished 2nd to Chelsea on 86 points, and Walker left. That was a year after getting 70 points, wheh Leicester won the league. Then I watched Levy have to enforce another zero net spending summer of crap players with Moura joining in the January. Thing is, Poch's brand of football needed refresh and a bigger squad. It was like Klopp's and we were at the stage where we had the burnout from only using the same 12 or 13 players for so long. The biggest victims were Dele and Eriksen who had run themselves into the ground. We needed more of that quality in those key positions especially with 3 or 4 of them getting to the senior age.

I also never liked it how the football world blamed Poch for having a summer of no spending a year later. Even though I had realised that Spurs would be on a decline from the height of 2017, I could also see that the recruitment team and the budget had stopped Poch getting any players he wanted. He had become sick of having to take the 3rd or 4th choice options. He made his stand and that was the beginning of the end, despite somehow getting to a CL final. Some would say that May 2019 was our peak because the footballing gods allowed us to get to that final. It really wasn't. Our league form was awful that point and we finished on 71 points. More concerning, a disproportionate amount of those points came from the first half of the season.

The luxuries that Ange has now far outweigh what Poch went through. Fortunately for us, Ange will never have it as tough as Poch did.

A fantastic summation for the sceptics out there...and they exist, to this day. I grew up worshipping the Burky years home and away, and I tell you, this Poch era was incredible. He brought so much to us. I loved what he stood for and what we stood for under him. It broke me the way he was sacked. You have IMO absolutely nailed it here.

You're right. No way was May of 2019 the peak of Poch's Tottenham. At that point, it was the last sting of a dying wasp. We had Sissoko and Winks in CM FFS. No disrespect to either, they are decent players, but compared to Dembele, 2015/16 Dier and Wanyama - they paled in comparison.

Many people point to the 1-2 v Burnley that season as the turning point. I think it came long before that personally because, while we picked up a lot of points early in 2018/19, I didn't think we were playing particularly well. I thought something broke the previous season after we beat Chelsea 3-1 at their place. That was probably the last really great Poch performance I remember. The results and performances for the remainder of that season even were a bit patchy.

You're absolutely right - performances tailed off, at whatever point, because the players couldn't sustain what he wanted and he needed a refresh.

You're right. No way was May of 2019 the peak of Poch's Tottenham. At that point, it was the last sting of a dying wasp. We had Sissoko and Winks in CM FFS. No disrespect to either, they are decent players, but compared to Dembele, 2015/16 Dier and Wanyama - they paled in comparison.

Many people point to the 1-2 v Burnley that season as the turning point. I think it came long before that personally because, while we picked up a lot of points early in 2018/19, I didn't think we were playing particularly well. I thought something broke the previous season after we beat Chelsea 3-1 at their place. That was probably the last really great Poch performance I remember. The results and performances for the remainder of that season even were a bit patchy.

You're absolutely right - performances tailed off, at whatever point, because the players couldn't sustain what he wanted and he needed a refresh.

Yeah, we didn't have the Winks we saw a couple of weeks back either. We had the broken one, where the club wasn't protecting him. They needed to take him out of the firing line and let him have that ankle op which he finally had. Winks was a brilliant game closer in his young days and could have grown into a major contributor in our squad. However, he finally got judged on the injured, out of position version playing with selfish players like Sissoko and Hojbjerg. The club should be ashamed of their lack of looking after Winksy's physical wellbeing.

I always remember in the 16/17 we formed the Dembele / Wanyama partnership. Simply the best in the league. However.....

Dier - started 34, sub on 2
Winks - started 3, sub on 18
Wanyama - started 35, sub on 1
Dembele - started 24, sub on 6

That's what it took to get 86 points with Dele and Eriksen really enhancing that midield to keep us to 26 goals conceded and 86 scored. However, as we moved to the 17/18 season, the problems started. Toby got injured for most of the season meaning new boy Sanchez had to slot in alongside Vertonghen. He did ok actually. However, we had to ditch the 3 at the back system that had come in at the and of the 16/17 season, with quite spectacular results. Poch didn't want to do that. Dier had to play almost every game in midfield with Wanyama, Dembele and Winks really struggling to be fully fit on the pitch. Dele was starting that horrible 2-3 of soft tissue injuries that he's never recovered from, Trips had the groin issues and Rose was broken, both physically and mentally.

I think this is why I always had a soft spot for Dier. He put his body through so much for our club during this period and in the end it was sad to see the fanbase making him the spacegoat. After being our bastion of strength, he had his own year of torture as well with the appendix problems and all the viruses he subsequently had meaning he could never get and stay fit. Then he had his transitional year where he became a centre half. Davies also gave a lot during that period, with Rose never recovering.

Shame really, as we were ready to push on. If we get to that mid-eighties league position now I can't see another Pompeii moment though. I think we will push on. I'm just interested to see how Ange gets us north of 80 points first.

As thfcsteff said above, there was something about that Poch era that had us really believing.

Back