• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Effectively in pre season we looked like this at stages:

------CB---------CB------
RB---------DM------------ The CM was often Mason, with Eriksen or Holtby being the player to do the same on the other side of the pitch when the RB was required to get forward.
---------------------CM-- Lennon was usually buzzing around the striker and looking to advance past him whilst Lamela had more of a free role.
----AM--------AM--------
------------AM--------LB
---------ST--------------

Even against Schalke in the final pre season game, we kept that shape and it was in evidence against QPR with Chadli being that furthest forward AM. I think Poch abandonned it after the Liverpool game though. I still think a lot of the problems come from the lack of defensive cover offered by the three AM's.

The one real issue I have with Pochettino this early on is the way he sees some players as undroppable.

I know his argument is that you play a consistent side.

But Kaboul and Adebayor?

Look at our player's league starts this season.

Christian Eriksen 10
Danny Rose 10
Etienne Capoue 10
Hugo Lloris 10
Younes Kaboul 10
Emmanuel Adebayor 9
Erik Lamela 9
Nacer Chadli 9
Eric Dier 7
Jan Vertonghen 6
Ryan Mason 5
Kyle Naughton 4
Nabil Bentaleb 3
Mousa Dembélé 2
Roberto Soldado 2
Vlad Chiriches 2
Aaron Lennon 1
Federico Fazio 1

In 9/10 games this is our team
Lloris
rb Kaboul cb Rose
Capoue cm
Lamela Eriksen Chadli
Adebayor

It isnt working only 5 of our players have scored this season! Only Hull, Villa and QPR have less goalscorers.

The one real issue I have with Pochettino this early on is the way he sees some players as undroppable.

I know his argument is that you play a consistent side.

But Kaboul and Adebayor?

Look at our player's league starts this season.

Christian Eriksen 10
Danny Rose 10
Etienne Capoue 10
Hugo Lloris 10
Younes Kaboul 10
Emmanuel Adebayor 9
Erik Lamela 9
Nacer Chadli 9
Eric Dier 7
Jan Vertonghen 6
Ryan Mason 5
Kyle Naughton 4
Nabil Bentaleb 3
Mousa Dembélé 2
Roberto Soldado 2
Vlad Chiriches 2
Aaron Lennon 1
Federico Fazio 1

In 9/10 games this is our team
Lloris
rb Kaboul cb Rose
Capoue cm
Lamela Eriksen Chadli
Adebayor

It isnt working only 5 of our players have scored this season! Only Hull, Villa and QPR have less goalscorers.

I agree to some extent.

To me this team now clearly picks itself
Lloris
Walker X Verts Rose
Capoue Mason
Lamela Eriksen Chadli
X

Stambouli and Kane may start pressing Capoue and Chadli in time.

Re the two Xs, I would certainly start Soldado ahead of Ade now, but wouldn't have done earlier in the season. Similarly, Kaboul you feel is only keeping the seat warm till Fazio is up to speed.

If Poch persists with Ade and Kaboul much longer I will start to question it, but for now I'm just about ok with the reasons for it.

B1wNrzeCEAErJQH.png

It took me a couple of seconds. 'Who is this guy?'

I agree to some extent.

Lloris
Walker X Verts Rose
Capoue Mason
Lamela Eriksen Chadli
X

Re the two Xs, I would certainly start Soldado ahead of Ade now, but wouldn't have done earlier in the season. Similarly, Kaboul you feel is only keeping the seat warm till Fazio is up to speed.

If Poch persists with Ade and Kaboul much longer and they continue to under perform I will start to question it, but for now I'm just about ok with the reasons for it.

Fixed that for you.

honestly i can't figure out poch's starting eleven and rotation policy.

oh well i did say i'll give the gaffer a full season.

I agree to some extent.

Lloris
Walker X Verts Rose
Capoue Mason
Lamela Eriksen Chadli
X

If Poch persists with Ade and Kaboul much longer I will start to question it, but for now I'm just about ok with the reasons for it.

Kane in the running at least, and probably deserves to start the next league game. Other than that I agree with you.

He decided his separate first eleven and cup teams in preseason. And has stuck to both since.

not totally, there has been some changes, and the subs but they aren't based on merit, it feels like i'm missing an entire agenda altogether when some good talent is on the bench. he looks like he knows what he is doing but like you said it clearly isn't, and he seems to be caught trying to enforce his philosophy but the principles aren't really clear, and a number of poor performances on the pitch hasn't addressed much.

honestly i can't figure out poch's starting eleven and rotation policy.

I'd say on the whole it is fairly sensible and transparent

- A team for league, B team for cups
- Promoted from B to A following good performances (e.g. Mason, and Kane and Soldado heading in that direction)

But a few things I don't understand

- Some consideration of opponents - e.g. I'd use Soldado at home and against weaker opponents (where we'll have more possession), and Ade away to stronger teams (where we'll need someone to hold the ball up). But Poch has seemingly done the opposite. Fazio and Kaboul starting as a pair against City also didn't seem to consider the tricky explosive players we'd be playing against
- Not using Vorm in the cups
- Not dropping Ade and Kaboul after a string of poor performances

IMO - it's likely that all three of our captains will be at other clubs next season. Lloris will be gone ( hopefully not ) due to our failure to qualify for the CL and I think Kaboul and Ade, due to the running down of their contracts and both will be looking for bigger pay days elsewhere .

I think we have to accept that both Kaboul and Adebayor will be near ever presents in the PL this season so long as their form does not deteriorate any further. For Poch , this season is about getting the squad to buy into his ways. To do this he needs calmness in the dressing room and he needs to avoid any potential confrontations with players that may prove difficult . I think it's next season where Poch will really stamp his authority on the squad, by making a couple of his own signings and also choosing his captains.

There will be times when Poch will piiss us off with some of his team selections, but I think its best we show patience with the man and try to understand the difficulties he has in front of him. In the long term I trust him to deliver.

He decided his separate first eleven and cup teams in preseason. And has stuck to both since.

Mason, Naughton and Fazio would disagree I suppose...

- Promoted from B to A following good performances (e.g. Mason, and Kane and Soldado heading in that direction)

- Some consideration of opponents - e.g. I'd use Soldado at home and against weaker opponents (where we'll have more possession), and Ade away to stronger teams (where we'll need someone to hold the ball up). But Poch has seemingly done the opposite. Fazio and Kaboul starting as a pair against City also didn't seem to consider the tricky explosive players we'd be playing against

Soldado when we were looking to counter attack (and perhaps get some of those early crosses into the box) made a lot of sense.

He might have gone for Fazio expecting Dzeko to start. He might also have gone for Fazio since he's more used to the smell dribbling kind of player from Spain. The one exception was fatal, but he did well apart from the sending off/penalty incident.

Mason was part of his first choice team all along, just injured. He went straight into the team for Arsenal away after just one cup appearance.

Mason was part of his first choice team all along, just injured. He went straight into the team for Arsenal away after just one cup appearance.

That makes a lot of sense actually. I thought he was available for the first couple of games, then got injured. My bad.

Agreed, I'd also add I have no issue starting Lamela, but we really should sub him early in the games he isn't contributing in.

It'd make sense to me if he decided on a team during pre season and then sticks with it for a good run of games - small changes here and there. I thought that AVB got it wrong by changing things too dramatically from game to game early on when he arrived - you learn more from players over a length of time than you do when they are in and out of an ever changing first XI.

I think we'll start to see more of Kane in the league over the coming weeks and possibly Fazio/Stambouli too. Which to me would appear to be a sensible way to do things

It'd make sense to me if he decided on a team during pre season and then sticks with it for a good run of games - small changes here and there. I thought that AVB got it wrong by changing things too dramatically from game to game early on when he arrived - you learn more from players over a length of time than you do when they are in and out of an ever changing first XI.

I think we'll start to see more of Kane in the league over the coming weeks and possibly Fazio/Stambouli too. Which to me would appear to be a sensible way to do things

How much longer do you think he will stick with Adebayor for? Please say no more after this Sunday

But I would argue that is what he has done. He's played one team in the league and one in the cups. So every time the A team line up, they are with the same players. Ditto the B Team.

(as much as feasible, injuries permitting).

What you are suggesting is he plays half the A team with a few B teamers thrown in...that is more confusing and less stable than the A team and B team thing really, providing you have enough games in each competition.

Back