• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Those that believe a "fight and will to win" is a WM simply do not understand the concept of a winning mentality. To get to the top of any tree requires more than just this alone. It requires a degree of ruthlessness to win we have so far not exhibited in the really big clutch games. As I have said, to beat Chelsea and United would be a start in demonstrating we have what it takes. Stage two would be to actually win a trophy.

If we continue to not win these sort of games, history will certainly judge us not to have a winning mentality and those that claim we have one now will look like fools.
Didn't we beat Yanited this year and Chelski last year when it mattered? What do you want us to do to show winning mentality? Win every game??

I just think it’s this thing that’s gathering steam, and there’s no real nuanced discussion of it. I don’t think it’s ridiculous to suggest a clearly talented Premier League manager under pressure to win an important game wouldn’t consider that he may be more likely to win those points if he made a change, if he thought it possible. The fact that he so clearly doesn’t a lot of the time suggests to me there is something bigger going on.

For instance, we all know that players need to be really in form to play well in a Poch system. The struggles of Wanyama and Rose this year for instance suggest if they aren’t in the groove, they probably won’t be adding that much value.

We change formations and systems in match quite a lot. Maybe Poch prefers that method which can have an element of preparation and rhythm to it rather than potential disruption from subs.

Besides, we often come back to win or draw when we were behind. And we are often always ahead. To pick the games in isolation where we didn’t end up winning doesn’t prove anything.

Maybe it’s part of a strategy based on the fitness work. The idea that if we are fitter, and the players have gotten in to a groove and can have rehearsed certain system changes, then maybe we will be more likely to win than making changes.

I don’t know the answer for sure, because I’m not on his back room staff, but I’m pretty sure there’s a strategy behind it and not some blatant blind spot that only has benefits and no drawbacks, and Poch just hasn’t figured it out yet.
This. We are a team that doesn't need to make subs to change tactics and I think people often miss that when criticizing the lack of earlier subs.

This. We are a team that doesn't need to make subs to change tactics and I think people often miss that when criticizing the lack of earlier subs.

Perfectly illustrated today. Switched the front four around for the second half and what a difference it made.
The subs then became more about holding our position rather than needing to be game changing subs ( relevant in respect of those stats about impact of substitutions).

Yes indeed, today it wasn't quite clicking, then he changed it and we looked better, although I don't pretend to know all the tiny changes he and Conte and each player made, to that effect.

Yes indeed, today it wasn't quite clicking, then he changed it and we looked better, although I don't pretend to know all the tiny changes he and Conte and each player made, to that effect.

At HT I was hoping that he would switch Sonny as he was doubled up and finding no space. There were pockets around the corners of the box and Sonny finds that space well. I personally wanted Alli as the false 9, Poch played Lamela which was brilliant as it allowed Dele continue running from deeper, and further shows why he is who he is - a TOP manager!!!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I was a bit sus about Son on the right, I tend to find he isnt that useful, much better on the left.

But....

He was bloody good this time, so that shows what I know!

I was also hugely impressed by Dembele’s second-half, as I didn’t think he’d last to 70 based on that first-half display. Like you, shows what I know mate!!!!!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Back