• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

In a way I hope we do shift many, and get many in (again). Then we can at least get that excuse out of the way. Except that...maybe we won't have as many games to blood them all in. So we will go from having too many games, to not enough. Either way, things are going to get veeerryy interesting in here once the villians are gone. ;)[/QUOTE

I wouldnt call them villains just players who don't fit into poch's preferred way of playing. Poch is no different from any manager in that respect. Remember that bloke call Mourinho- won nothing last season because he did not have players that suited the way he played?

You have to wait until the end of the season to judge whether they have been successful. I am convinced they will finish 7/8th no higher.

Not so sure. They have got into the habit of keeping clean sheets and they seem to be regularly beating those below them.

This unfortunately. Take out Eriksen and Kane and our squad is full of average players for the most part.

Yep but Poch has done a good job of identifying our best eleven and given the number of fixtures we have coming up he needs to keep them fresh for the major games. I am pretty certain that Poch would happily let half of our squad leave without much of a fight.

Im with you on your school of thought - dont blame Poch - however we do always seem to be under the cosh in games or panicking - we rarely look comfortable and in control. Im not sure why and the reasoning - is it because we dont kill teams off? is it our organisation? it is just our defence? In reality its been Kane, Lloris and Eriksen who have been bailing us out no end.

If we killed off teams earlier in games rather than leaving it till the last ten mins then players may not be as burnt out perhaps? I think our players are simply knackered in some respects and that was totally evident against C Palace a couple of weeks back.

My thoughts exactly DHSF. The opposition almost always looks more threatening than us and creates better chances. Hell, the same team did exactly this just one month ago.

I fully accept that we need a serious clearout and some big time investment and the results have been satisfactory rather than good or bad, but we still surely have enough quality to not look poor against the likes of Sheffield United, Leicester, Stoke, WBA, Palace etc?

My thoughts exactly DHSF. The opposition almost always looks more threatening than us and creates better chances. Hell, the same team did exactly this just one month ago.

I fully accept that we need a serious clearout and some big time investment and the results have been satisfactory rather than good or bad, but we still surely have enough quality to not look poor against the likes of Sheffield United, Leicester, Stoke, WBA, Palace etc?

What were your expectations at the beginning of the season JtG?

I realise we had a back up team out today, but I guess it still sort of shows what I've been saying. We have been bad pretty much every game, we create nothing against most teams, and then one of our players scores a great goal late on we win and our results look great. I genuinely think this is blinding fans to what is a pretty terrible team at the minute. People say they can see us developing and I still think we look bad every game. And again, I've always said luck will fall away and unless the performances improve the results won't be sustained.

It's like England, a few of my friends were saying England are great, look at our qualification, yet we were clearly bad, and when it came to it, when it mattered, we had the worst world cup qualification yet. I fear the same with spurs, yeah we're in the cups and close enough for top4, but unless we improve our play, we'll fall away on them all. It really worries me. I just want to watch us and really feel like we're a good team, developing a way of playing that is effective etc. I've seen us play well against QPR, Arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project, First half against burnley and actually against Sunderland. For me, that's it!! We've been close to awful a lot of the time.

All the many many people here who think I talk **** and think we're developing a great way of playing etc. Can you tell me how? Tell me how we STILL can't make the goalkeepers work in most games (yet Hugo is often man of the match for us); explain to me what I'm missing because I'm just seeing a really poor team, be very lucky, with a few great players helping us out far too often.

I don't often agree with your posts I have to say, but I think you're pretty bang on the money with this. Lloris is ALWAYS busy making saves, how often do we work the opposition's keeper?

I think the overall attacking play is slightly better than what we saw under AVB, but as a whole, I don't see a great deal of difference in the performances. I still see individual brilliance bailing us out after sub par display.

Yep but Poch has done a good job of identifying our best eleven and given the number of fixtures we have coming up he needs to keep them fresh for the major games. I am pretty certain that Poch would happily let half of our squad leave without much of a fight.

And I don't disagree with that one iota.

And I don't disagree with that one iota.

Can't imagine too many of them having any fight to stay either

Can't imagine too many of them having any fight to stay either

Similar to last season really; top 6/7 with a cup run in one of the competitions. But I honestly expected the performances to be better I must say. I didn't really watch that much of Soton under him, but I all I heard was positive things and that he continued the good work from Nigel Adkins, had them playing exciting football working well both defensively and offensively as a unit. Sadly, I don't see too much difference from this side to AVB's teams i.e. drab football with one or more individual bailing us out time after time and papering over the cracks. I'm not expecting miracles from the bloke, I would very happy with top 6 and better peformances than last season, but I don't see any progress If I am honest.

Last edited:

Similar to last season really; top 6/7 with a cup run in one of the competitions. But I honestly expected the performances to be better I must say. I didn't really watch that much of Soton under him, but I all I heard was positive and that he continued the good work from Nigel Adkins, had them playing exciting football working well both defensively and offensively as a unit. Sadly, I don't see too much difference from this side to AVB's teams i.e. drab football with one or more individual bailing us out time after time and papering over the cracks. I'm not expecting miracles from the bloke, I would very happy with top 6 and better peformances than last season, but I don't see any progress If I am honest.

I don't often agree with your posts I have to say, but I think you're pretty bang on the money with this. Lloris is ALWAYS busy making saves, how often do we work the opposition's keeper?

I think the overall attacking play is slightly better than what we saw under AVB, but as a whole, I don't see a great deal of difference in the performances. I still see individual brilliance bailing us out after sub par display.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with the last paragraph. Under AVB all our chances went through Bale and most of our goals. Here they are spread evenly around the main attacking 3, Eriksen, Kane and Chadli and usually there are other attacking players involved. I think Grimsby is making lazy arguments with his point about games being won solely down to individual brilliance. Poch's system is much more attack minded. We do not create many simple chances mainly because our strikers, kane aside, can't finish for toffee this season. But to say we haven't been exciting at times this season is plain wrong. What about QPR, Saudi Sportswashing Machine in the cup, Everton, Southampton and Chel53a. These games showed what Poch can achieve.

Look every manager who comes in has been backed by Levy to mould their squads, Redknapp got Palacios, Defoe and Keane in his first Jan window and then in following ones VDV, Crouch Krankjar etc. AVB got to spend 100million. Poch hasn't had that much backing yet.

Last edited:

I think the overall attacking play is slightly better than what we saw under AVB, but as a whole, I don't see a great deal of difference in the performances. I still see individual brilliance bailing us out after sub par display.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with the last paragraph. Under AVB all our chances went through Bale and most of our goals. Here they are spread evenly around the main attacking 3, Eriksen, Kane and Chadli and usually there are other attacking players involved. I think Grimsby is making lazy arguments with his point about games being won solely down to individual brilliance. Poch's system is much more attack minded. We do not create many simple chances mainly because our strikers, kane aside, can't finish for toffee this season. But to say we haven't been exciting at times this season is plain wrong. What about QPR, Saudi Sportswashing Machine in the cup, Everton, Southampton and Chel53a. These games showed what Poch can achieve.

Look every manager who comes in has been backed by Levy to mould their squads, Redknapp got Palacios, Defoe and Keane in his first Jan window and then in following ones VDV, Crouch Krankjar etc. AVB got to spend 100million. Poch hasn't had that much backing yet.

Southampton was a solid performance, as was Everton. Now I'm not saying they were dull games, but I wouldn't necessarily class them as exciting either.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine in the cup was a great result, but their keeper had an absolute shocker.

Chelsea and QPR were very good, if not great, point taken.

But on the whole no, I don't think we have been that exciting to watch. Maybe a bit unfair comparing it to AVB's style of play though I accept that.

That being said, I still think he's right about the individual brilliance part.

i still think he overdoes the rotation thing.

maybe poch's style requires freshness of legs - but it de-emphasizes experience and know-how.

and why do you need to rotate CBs who aren't injured?

maybe poch's style requires freshness of legs - but it de-emphasizes experience and know-how.

Freshness of mind more than the body. It's too late to rotate when players are already tired, which we're unfortunately seeing with some.

I imagine that rotation is carried out in conjunction with the advice of sports scientists.

Poch has to rotate, as it is, we are on course for a 68 games season, it's not about now, its about how much Lloris, Vert, Eriksen, Chadli, Kane will have in march - may.

The problem is not the rotation, its the application, concentration and energy of 2nd string.

Freshness of mind more than the body. It's too late to rotate when players are already tired, which we're unfortunately seeing with some.

How do you measure that? I must confess to having no personal knowledge as to the level of Paulinho's freshness of mind.

Back