• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Maggie

I am saying that central government were majorly responsible for the disasters that fell on this city, so they most certainly can and should play a major role in helping it recover, which includes influencing local inward investment and location of new business. Which is perfectly reasonable from where I stand.

That would be reasonable - unfortunately the reality is that those industries were already destroyed by the greed of the unions and their members. Thatcher just cut off an already gangrenous limb.

You may not believe that, but plenty of people do and for that reason have given up on politics in order to ensure a better life for their families. I maintain that it's a huge sacrifice becoming PM no matter which side of the political spectrum you're from.

Well as i say i think its a excuse and i have never heard " plenty of people" say it either, usally its only said by those who have put their job before their kids.

But we are never going to agree, but just to make it clear are you saying that the reason Thatchers kids turned out to be what they are is because she was to busy to care for them?

Last edited:
A taxi driver was killed by two madmen who stood trial and rightly went to prison. You judge all by the actions of two?

I think that if a group of people use intimidation and the threat of violence to those who oppose them - or 'scabs' - then they are at least partly responsible when the threats of violence and intimidation turn into real physical damage.

Seeing as this thread's been going on for ages now and nobody's invoked Godwin it's clearly past time! Do you blame all Nazis for the holocaust despite the fact that only a handful were active in killing Jews? I do.

Well as i say i think its a excuse and i have never heard " plenty of people" say it either, usally its only said by those who have put their job before their kids.

I'm not talking about them - you have good reason to suspect them of just using an excuse (although I don't think that's always the case). I'm talking about the people who left politics to create a family life - not those who missed a family life in order to be in politics.

How much influence do you think an MP, cabinet minister or PM has on the upbringing of their children? Especially when that person's a woman. Have a look at the reasons given why many women leave politics (or avoid it entirely) if you need some clues.

The only reflection her kids show of her is one of enormous sacrifice for the good of the country.

Then i must have misread this because it looks like you are excusing her from the responsibility of how her kids have been.

Then i must have misread this because it looks like you are excusing her from the responsibility of how her kids have been.

I am saying that but I'm taking that belief from those who avoided what Thatcher did, not those who did what she did

If we were to allow more northerners to work in London in our banks and high spec service sector, would they perform the job as well as southerners?
The problem is that most employees down south associate northerners with bad diets - earting stodgy and fried food at most meals and down the pub all the time. This is in turn leads to lower output per worker in a pressured job.
I think money needs to be spent educating the north so they can integrate into the southern workforce for future generations.
In my time working in banking I've only met two northerners.

My credible alternative is that those who spent so much time not working improved their level of education instead of killing taxi drivers. Tone down the accent and move to London. Or, or course, show up to work in the first place for the wage you've already agreed and keep some of the jobs in the area.

Not just aimed at Sheffield btw, I think there were areas with far fewer opportunities that had similar regional issues.

More prejudiced brick from you. You never stop do you? [-o<

How much influence do you think an MP, cabinet minister or PM has on the upbringing of their children? Especially when that person's a woman. Have a look at the reasons given why many women leave politics (or avoid it entirely) if you need some clues.

The only reflection her kids show of her is one of enormous sacrifice for the good of the country.

You know I'm starting to see why people like you are so devoted to Maggie. It's got to be someting... I don't know...something psycho-sexual. The idea of a great punisher.:ross:

I think that if a group of people use intimidation and the threat of violence to those who oppose them - or 'scabs' - then they are at least partly responsible when the threats of violence and intimidation turn into real physical damage.

Seeing as this thread's been going on for ages now and nobody's invoked Godwin it's clearly past time! Do you blame all Nazis for the holocaust despite the fact that only a handful were active in killing Jews? I do.

I think there were more that a"handful."

If we were to allow more northerners to work in London in our banks and high spec service sector, would they perform the job as well as southerners?
The problem is that most employees down south associate northerners with bad diets - earting stodgy and fried food at most meals and down the pub all the time. This is in turn leads to lower output per worker in a pressured job.
I think money needs to be spent educating the north so they can integrate into the southern workforce for future generations.
In my time working in banking I've only met two northerners.

You cannot be serious, this must be a tinkle take? On a more serious note. Again all the generalizations and stereotypes. Just what constitutes a 'northerner'? Anyone living north of Watford Gap? Living north of the the Trent? Sharing a border with Scotland perhaps. I find it a disgrace that some people who would probably consider themselves as proudly English, could so roundly disparage their fellows. But then as Maggie famously said..."there is no such thing as society."

You cannot be serious, this must be a tinkle take? On a more serious note. Again all the generalizations and stereotypes. Just what constitutes a 'northerner'? Anyone living north of Watford Gap? Living north of the the Trent? Sharing a border with Scotland perhaps. I find it a disgrace that some people who would probably consider themselves as proudly English, could so roundly disparage their fellows. But then as Maggie famously said..."there is no such thing as society."

Thatcher was a northerner.

My Dad used to own a business and he did very, very well financially when Thatcher was in charge. But he couldn't accept that so many others suffered as a result of her reign. Too many people focus soley on how it effects THEM and don't care about the country as a whole.

=D>

For me the North begins the other side of Oxford.

Whilst Oxford isn't really the South, it's the most northerly place I can think of that feels like the South. After all, it's more a culture thing than a geographical thing for me.

Scara? Did you see my post a couple of pages ago? Interesting you've had no comment. Either you so fundamentally disagree with the points I've raised that you feel you shouldn't respond, or you see a shimmer of truth...(or you just didn't see it...:eek::lol:)

Scara? Did you see my post a couple of pages ago? Interesting you've had no comment. Either you so fundamentally disagree with the points I've raised that you feel you shouldn't respond, or you see a shimmer of truth...(or you just didn't see it...:eek::lol:)

Sorry, I'll look for it.

Edit: That's a fudging long post. I'm off out for dinner but I promise to respond tomorrow.

Back