• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ledley King

Been supporting Spurs since the 70s, and this is the first time I can really remember one of ours retiring, and me being so gutted about it. Glad the club have offered him a role and that he's taken it. Club legend, amazing player, retire the shirt. Will miss watching you play Ledley.

I don't think it will hit me until the first game of the season when the lineup is revealed and King isn't in it :cry:

This. The buzz around The Lane when the team was announced and Ledley's name was read out after a lengthy spell out. One that stands out, despite the fact we went out the cup that night, Seville at home in the 1/4 of Uefa Cup. Ledley had been out injured for a while, but he made it for that night, and the place was buzzing hearing he was available!

Last edited:
That wasn't his debut mate but I know the game your talking about. I think Fowler scored for them and we came from behind to win 2-1 with Ferdinand and Sherwood scoring for us. Thelwell did have a pretty good game that day but I knew from when King broke into the side regularly in 1999/2000 he was going to be an England International. I actually did bet with someone back in 2001 that he would one day captain England because I was that confident in his abilities.

I think he made his debut at Anfield in 1999 when we lost 3-2 up there towards the end of that season.

Yep. Proud to say that I was there to see him make his much anticipated debut (the match day programme had been waxing lyrical about him for years). Stewart Houston (George Graham wasn't there, for some reason) sent him on at left back for the second half. Looked a bit nervy, if memory serves. Not surprising, really - especially playing out of position.

We should have won that game. 2-0 up and cruising before the ref intervened. Denied us a penalty; sent Taricco off (for what, I don't know); then gave Liverpool a penalty. They scored two more. Usual Anfield story.

I especially remember that game for one other reason. Liverpool were attacking the Anfield Road end. Their right sided midfielder (Thompson, I think...little fella who didn't make it there) tried to cross the ball but sliced it high into the crowd. I was behind the goal, about ten rows back and next to an aisle. I realised that the ball was headed in my direction. I jumped up from my seat, ran a couple of steps down the aisle and leapt like a salmon (in my imagination, at least). I met the ball perfectly and sent a powerful (in my imagination, at least) header into the arms of the appreciative and impressed (in my imagination at least) arms of Ian Walker. Cheers all round. Something I'd always wanted to do. fudging brilliant.

I can never understand why most people only ever try to catch the ball.

Has anyone been surprised at the level of praise from around the game for Ledley? I've always thought other clubs fans underestimated him, but today there seems to be very knowledgeable recognition of just how epic he was (sob...was) from all sides. There's a very complimentary RAWK thread about him and I'm sure if there's one there there's more.

most fans underestimate him, but most ex-professionals and pundits who know about football or have played the game in the past know what a player he was. King has always been very highly rated and praised whenever Spurs play.

Remember King and Thelwell coming through at the same time. Slightly different career paths since then.

Michael Dawson – team-mate - 2005-2012
“Ledley’s a tremendous guy, and what a player. I’m sure you’ll get the same from every player, he was absolutely unbelievable. He’ll be missed. He’s one of the best, without a doubt.
“I remember the first time I saw him play, sat up in the Directors’ Box at White Hart Lane in 2005. I remember the game, Portsmouth and thinking ‘it’s just too easy for this guy’. I was stepping up from the Championship and I was thinking would I manage it?
“When you play with someone like him you see the experience, the confidence, the calmness, just the way he gets around the field. He’s a top, top guy off the field as well.”

Jermain Defoe - team-mate – 2004-2012
“Take the football away, and he’s a fantastic guy. He was here his whole career and all the lads love him. He’s just such a nice guy, chilled out.
“When I first signed here I knew Ledley from before. He’s two years older than me but we played in the same Sunday team, Senrab and I played Under-21s with him.
“He was my room-mate as well. It’s sad to come back for pre-season and not see his face. I want to wish him all the best in whatever he decides to do.
“To be honest, Ledley would probably say - and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind me saying this - but towards the end he was struggling a little with his knee, he had a lot of problems. Even when he had his problems, he was still out there playing. I used to ask him ‘how do you do it?’ I was sure it was starting to get to him and he said ‘yes, it is’. He said to me that he couldn’t remember the last time he played a game without feeling any pain. The level he maintained even through that was incredible.
“All the lads are talking about it, everyone wants to wish him all the best and all the lads love him.”

Gareth Bale – team-mate – 2007-2012
“For me, he’s one of the best players I’ve ever played with and without the injuries, I think he could have been the best centre-half in the world. We always used to say he’s not human! He didn’t train all week and played 90 minutes on the Saturday. The way he performed with his injuries was nothing short of unbelievable.”

Les Ferdinand – team-mate 1999-2003, coach at Spurs
“It’s great news that he’s going to be involved as an Ambassador, and he’ll make a great Ambassador for the club. He’s Tottenham through and through and he often said that if he couldn’t play at Tottenham any more, he wouldn’t play anywhere else. I’m sure there are other clubs out there who would have taken him. It’s great he’ll remain involved. He’s a one-club man and will thrive in the role of Ambassador. He’s greatly respected for what he’s done on the football field but he’s a great person as well.
“As for Ledley the player, I think had he been fit, we would be talking about a centre-half with 100 caps for England.”

'' I was sure it was starting to get to him and he said ‘yes, it is’. He said to me that he couldn’t remember the last time he played a game without feeling any pain.''

fudge that quote from Defoe made me well up a bit. Really brought him what he went through, and how magnificent he was to do what he did.

To go through pain for the club shows what a legend Ledley is. I mean who knows what that has done for the future of his legs etc.

We knew it was coming but it's hard not to feel so sad...LEDLEY KING...you were an inspiration throughout. WHATEVER happened at our club, you were there to steer us through, NEVER complaining, NEVER ducking responsibilities, ALWAYS leading with quiet, calm authority. You remained one of the great centre-halfs of world football even with one knee...my abiding memory (aside from seeing your debut) will be that night in Eastlands, roaring "...he's only got one knee..." repeatedly and seeing you lead us into the Champions League. The word 'legend' is over-used. Not here. He will, of course, continue to be THE ambassador for Tottenham Hotspur FC he has been for the last decade. With love and respect to a player who was truly Rolls Royce calibre footballer...SteffanFANOFMONTH-02.jpg

Can't imagine Ledder's not leading us out anymore. As I've read a few times today, I'm not sure we'll ever see another Spurs legend like this again.

End of the upcoming season.

Really hope the opponents are Real Madrid, cant think a more fitting team, either that or a World X1.

As the season ends on the Sunday 19th May, cant see it being the midweek right after, so I assume its going to be the week after. Definitely want to come down for that night

Has anyone been surprised at the level of praise from around the game for Ledley? I've always thought other clubs fans underestimated him, but today there seems to be very knowledgeable recognition of just how epic he was (sob...was) from all sides. There's a very complimentary RAWK thread about him and I'm sure if there's one there there's more.

Apart from one United fan at work, who, when I told him the news about Ledders, said the guy had a robbed a living :eek:

I was speechless, just not sure if he was being serious or not and just trying to wind me up

I was emotional about this anyway but fudge me this thread is making me start to blub.

WE WILL NEVER FORGET. WE WILL CONTINUE TO SING YOUR NAME LOUDLY AND PROUDLY.

YOU ARE A LEGEND.

Back