• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ledley King

It's crazy. The thought of Ledders being backup. I know what you mean. But imagine if he feels as he did at the beginning of the season, he gets a game and he is by far our best player on the pitch again. We'll all want him back in the side again

All true too. Bit of a tormented dilemma for me. I just don't want the guy to fudge his longterm health up.

However, if he get could back to the level he was at for the first half of this season, then he's a first choice centreback for nearly any team in the Prem, let alone Spurs.

So I hope the op works and Ledley makes yet another comeback. The King ain't lost all his lives yet, hopefully.

It's crazy. The thought of Ledders being backup. I know what you mean. But imagine if he feels as he did at the beginning of the season, he gets a game and he is by far our best player on the pitch again. We'll all want him back in the side again
If we sign Vertonghen (which I really hope we do) - then he is first choice ahead of King for me. We would need those two to form a partnership - which is one of the most important aspects of forming a cohesive defensive unit. Having King in the side is all well and good, but he hasn't ended this season very well at all and I don't think it will get any better.

He can be in place for cup games alongside a younger player like Caulker in order to mature his game IMO.

If we sign Vertonghen (which I really hope we do) - then he is first choice ahead of King for me. We would need those two to form a partnership - which is one of the most important aspects of forming a cohesive defensive unit. Having King in the side is all well and good, but he hasn't ended this season very well at all and I don't think it will get any better.

He can be in place for cup games alongside a younger player like Caulker in order to mature his game IMO.

I'll remind you of this when he keeps Van Persie in his pocket (v Emirates Marketing Project) with ease, and is hailed man of the match. Your right though. He really does give us a problem because he is so flipping good.

can you give me the low down on the qualities of vertonghen please. the only game i saw with the intention of actually watching him was the ajax v man united game. and he was pretty average...if i was honest i would have said he was pretty bad.

Personally wouldn't have given King a new contract seasons ago.

Great guy, wish him well but he works against consitancy in the team.

You can't rely on the admiration of someone getting in the way of reality. We need players who are constantly ready for any given weekend.

I'd keep King around for another season. But if he is fit (well as fit as he can be) he shouldnt be first choice, purely back up for Kaboul, Dawson, Caulker and a new CB. Pretty much the role Nelsen has played since his arrival. And of course he should have some sort of coaching role.

Personally wouldn't have given King a new contract seasons ago.

Great guy, wish him well but he works against consitancy in the team.

You can't rely on the admiration of someone getting in the way of reality. We need players who are constantly ready for any given weekend.

i know what you mean, but you have to question the loyalty of fans sometimes. the guy is a living legend. his name is KING. and on any given day he can put out a world class CB performance with bad knees. first sign of trouble you ditch him. personally i think thats bad. also as far as NOT giving him a contract seasons ago....i think thats just plain wrong and would have been a very bad move. thankfully the club didnt do that cause until the last couple of games you'd be hard pressed to find a bad game from ledley king in a spurs uniform

another thing......i take it that you pragmatic view on king and the ease at which you discard him from the squad means that you share my train of thought too, that players dont have to show loyalty to the clubs they play for.

i know what you mean, but you have to question the loyalty of fans sometimes. the guy is a living legend. his name is KING. and on any given day he can put out a world class CB performance with bad knees. first sign of trouble you ditch him. personally i think thats bad. also as far as NOT giving him a contract seasons ago....i think thats just plain wrong and would have been a very bad move. thankfully the club didnt do that cause until the last couple of games you'd be hard pressed to find a bad game from ledley king in a spurs uniform

another thing......i take it that you pragmatic view on king and the ease at which you discard him from the squad means that you share my train of thought too, that players dont have to show loyalty to the clubs they play for.

Agreed, I never take it personally when a player leaves Spurs to further their career - don't get why some get so worked up about it all, its their profession.

As for King, I wouldn't really say its the first sign of trouble. To me the writing has been on the wall for a good season or two and its finally caught up with him, it's not just been one or two below par performances. But I'd never argue with anyone for wanting to give him another season or whatever, he is a legend. Just don't think it would do him any favours (in terms of his body) or Spurs as we need to learn to deal without him being there, let others flourish and let King go out at the top....

LEDLEY KING UPDATE

Posted 01 June 2012 1:29pm

The end of the season saw Ledley take time to have a minor procedure on his knee.

Catching up with Ledley today, he said:

"I had a really good start to last season and was pleased to play as many games as I did. A knock in training set me back towards the end, but I opted to carry on playing rather than take the time out to have the knee seen to. Unfortunately that meant that I didn’t play the last few games at the standard I would have liked.

"I’ve been discussing things with the Club and my contract expires this summer. The Club has been fantastic in supporting me and given me several options to stay involved with Tottenham. I shall take a view with them pre-season on my future.

"Tottenham has been the only Club for me and if I can’t play here then I shall look to be involved in another capacity."

LEDLEY KING UPDATE

The end of the season saw Ledley take time to have a minor procedure on his knee.

"I had a really good start to last season and was pleased to play as many games as I did. A knock in training set me back towards the end, but I opted to carry on playing rather than take the time out to have the knee seen to. Unfortunately that meant that I didn’t play the last few games at the standard I would have liked.

"I’ve been discussing things with the Club and my contract expires this summer. The Club has been fantastic in supporting me and given me several options to stay involved with Tottenham. I shall take a view with them pre-season on my future.

"Tottenham has been the only Club for me and if I can’t play here then I shall look to be involved in another capacity."

Hero, fudging love the guy.

I'd actually like to see him retire though and stay with Spurs in some other capacity, as I hate the idea of seeing him playing as a shadow of his former self.

LEDLEY KING UPDATE

Coaching role then.

Pity - worldclass defender, horrible luck with injuries.

Ledders - True Legend =D>

My only fear is that he'd make a rubbish coach... just based on seeing him in interviews, he doesn't seem like someone who'd make a natural coach.

You can't teach the way he reads the game. You can either do it, or you can't.

My only fear is that he'd make a rubbish coach... just based on seeing him in interviews, he doesn't seem like someone who'd make a natural coach.

I know, he's not exactly lucid. Could just be nerves though, who knows.

Would make a good addition though; already have Tim for midfield and Les for the forward. Ledders for defence would seem ideal.

Too young to become some sort of ambassador if you ask me.

Ledley loves the club, I mean he risks putting his future on the line just to play for us and he deserves every ounce of respect from almost anyone in a footballing capacity.

Legend.

I agree. Have always said this when people have been bleating on about making him a coach. World class players dont always make great coaches. Think he'd be far better in some form of ambassadorial role

The upside to this is that, even though it sounds like he's semi-retiring, it makes the CB position much clearer for us as he is very definitely no longer a viable option so we need 5 CBs excluding him: Vert, Kaboom, Gallas, Daws, Caulker. that works

It couldn't hurt having him on the training ground though, regardless. I mean his input would be better than mosts I imagine.

Back