• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

That's rather misleading - I said there's "little to suggest" - rather than "never".

I would maintain that 8 games is indeed little evidence - and particularly given that Spurs have been synonymous with poor defending for years.

If your reasoning is that he's either not been part of those weak defences because of injuries, or has failed to gain consistency because of injuries (i.e. hasn't been very good), then that just supports there view there is little evidence to suggest he can be part of a cohesive defence.
Was there also little to suggest that Ledley King could be part of a cohesive defensive unit?

Was there also little to suggest that Ledley King could be part of a cohesive defensive unit?

No - he played 268 games, was consistently excellent, and been spoken of in very high terms by his peers.

Walker has looked, in my opinion, consistently average, and heralded by few.

I'm all for withholding judgement on a player and assessing them over a longer period.

Given how many changes there have been in our defence over the last few years and the injuries that Walker has had. I will be interested to see how he does in a settled defence and a run in the team. In the meantime, I am happy to be cheered by the good job that our defence is doing currently and his part in that.

I think the implication that I'm waiting for the defence to collapse, and blame Walker, is a little underhand.

Anyway, yes, it's good to see our defence improving.

Rewatching the MotD2 highlights on iPlayer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06h8b8n/match-of-the-day-2-201516-04102015) and Dier gets caught pressing high up the pitch after Rangel and Fernandez do a quick 1-2 which by-passes Chadli plus Eriksen.

So when Ayew receives the ball on the halfway line he's in plenty of space with Alli and Dier both 5 yards away. Alli then sprints back to track Siggy' run into the box leaving Ayew to jog in unmarked, Dier only arrived back in the area as the ball is flying into the net.

Alderweireld initially looks like he would go and help Walker cut out the cross but then he notices Ki running down that flank and ends up in no man's land.

Perhaps Dier could've busted a gut and prevented Ayew from having a free header but, as you say, it's a classy attack by Swansea; just the sort of thing I hope to see plenty of from us once Son returns from injury to replace the ponderous Chadli.
Indeed, this is the modern game... a quick 1-2, break at pace, get enough people making enough runs so that the defence can't pick everyone up, cross the ball into the danger area and someone may be free to knock it in. It was a superb header though, to generate that power with the ball behind him.

In terms of Walker I think he has improved and is now a first rate player, absolutely fine. Way better than Naughton.

I just don't see it with Walker. I think he's peaked in terms of potential.

The only things he excels at are pace and one on one defending - which are valuable - yet there is little to suggest he could be part of a cohesive defensive unit. I think he lacks the intelligence and discipline - which aren't going to change.

Going forward, he offers an outlet, but in my opinion, an impotent one. His decision making has improved, but it's way, way off the mark to be considered a 'top four' full back.

If being an outlet is a significant attribute to your game, you better offer enough going forward to compensate for the space you'll inevitably leave.

A month later, have you seen anything from Walker since to change your mind?

Last edited:
Thought he had a good game today. Caught between the two for the goal, but wouldn't say he's to blame.

He was excellent today. Okay, he was the closest player to Gibbs when he scored, but I pin the blame more on our failure to close down Özil in that situation. Otherwise he was excellent. He really is the perfect player to have against wingers like Sanchez or Sterling. No one runs away from him, and he's become very good one against one. I also think he has matured tactically.

He was excellent today. Okay, he was the closest player to Gibbs when he scored, but I pin the blame more on our failure to close down Özil in that situation. Otherwise he was excellent. He really is the perfect player to have against wingers like Sanchez or Sterling. No one runs away from him, and he's become very good one against one. I also think he has matured tactically.

The tackle when Alli lost the ball on the edge of their box was fudging brilliant ... very good game ..looking like he can step up again from here (which is great as he had looked like he stagnated a season or so ago).

He performed superbly today. I especially remember one great sliding tackle to cut out a counter attack in the second half.

Il admit i wanted Trippier to start at the beginning of this season and ive never been Walkers biggest fan, but he's been excellent so far this season. Seems to really be maturing as a player.

He was excellent last year, however there seemed to be a decision on here that he was going to be our scape-goat.

Walker and Rose are fundamental to the way we play - with inverted wingers we need full backs who bomb on (and Dier gives them the cover they need). Both Walker and Rose do that, Trippier is a decent stand in for Walker; I'd prefer a more like for like replacement for Rose than davies though (even though he's ok as a back-up LB).

Great game from him today. The only negative is that at times he does seem completely out of idea's when advancing with the ball although even some of his passing today was top notch.

On form I think he's the best right back in the league defensively. Was immense today.

Not a fan generally but in fairness he has been decent so far this season, especially in the last 3-4 games.

The tackle when Alli lost the ball on the edge of their box was fudgeing brilliant ... very good game ..looking like he can step up again from here (which is great as he had looked like he stagnated a season or so ago).

He missed most of last season with injury. It isn't surprising that he is back on track now he's getting games.

Back