• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January transfer rumour thread

Yes, he was head and shoulders above defenders in the local league prior to his movie. And the standard here is pretty decent.

Personally I thought he'd get more chances, especially at Reading. Not sure what's gone wrong.

Honestly couldn't care about how players do at loans.

Rose and Livermore didn't look good in the Championship, yet at the end of last season Rose was awesome at left back and has come in and been solid this year too, not to mention Livermore too who put in an unbelievable performance against Everton and numerous solid performances this season. All about giving players a chance and doing well.

Our strategy

Hi all - used to be lukenotmodric but tbh I still haven't forgiven my almost namesake for last summer, so I'm putting my eggs in the basket of our future hero Cameron 'The Lance' Lancaster.

Anyway, I've seen a lot of discord on here regarding yesterday's transfers, but to me it seems to prove that we're in a very temporary situation. The last time we relied on loans we had Pleat in caretaker charge, and I think we are in a similar position now. Harry's going. Levy doesn't want to commit to having Harry's players around for a new manager, and he doesn't want to commit to selling players that the next manager might want. So, we are coasting for the rest of the season with this bizarre squad that mixes sublime, dare I say world class, talent with experience, albeit severely crocked. Harry will of course want to win the league (to convince England to give him the job and to go out on an all-time high before leaving) and I trust that he has done what he thinks he needs to do in order to give us our best shot at this. We have plenty of skill and versatile players in the majority of positions to cover any injuries, so he has added a couple of people with that little bit of maturity and experience to help these young guns across the finish line. All credit to him, hopefully it will pay off.

I think it is also clear that Levy is either saving money to put towards the stadium, or the new manager's transfer kitty in the summer.

I was excited to see Lancaster last night, as he is one that we haven't heard much of due to his injuries and only one loan, and he impressed me with 3 or 4 simple, but telling contributions:

- He held the ball up exceptionally well at one point, receiving the ball at pace with his back to goal, holding the defender off, taking a couple of touches and laying the ball off. Something I don't think we ever saw Pav do.
- He took a couple of neat, quick touches and a good turn of pace to get away from a couple of defenders into space
- Following this he played a nice through ball for Bale or Kranjcar (my viewing was not very HD)
- He almost scored with a quick reaction to a loose ball

So, not getting carried away (by adopting his nickname as my username!), but he looks promising, and maybe, just maybe, he is a potential long-term 'replacement' for a player we've lost. Saha is a stop-gap.

If we do lose Harry, it will be a tragedy for many reasons but, perhaps none more so than the fact that its unlikely any other manager will give our young players the chances that he has/will. Except, perhaps Sherwood, but I don't think he's getting the job somehow. The way I see it, the pinnacle for any team would be for it to have success with completely home-grown players. That is surely what the club should strive towards, and Harry would encourage that. I'm hoping that next season we see Townsend, Carroll, Kane, Lancaster, Caulker, Naughton, Smith, etc. make steps into the first team like Livermore and Walker have this season, then we will have ready-made replacements for the players that we are sad/confused to see leave now. Let's be honest, has Livermore given us any different to what Jenas would have?

To summarise, I think last night's transfer dealings were all part of our short-term holding strategy, and hopefully Harry has at least contributed to our long term strategy by blooding more youngsters than we have seen in GHod knows how long!

I think you hope that they show glimpses on loan, they are young or raw or both to the premiership. So you just want to see some qualities. Livermore is still learning the game, at this Age Parker was not even seen as a defensive midfielder for example and had to stop his forward runs. Beckham did ok on a loan at Preston and that was it.

We have to have some space for our Youngsters to see a way into the team, if we are stuffed with over paid proffesionals its just madness. Even next season we will be starting with 6 centre backs if Bassong does not come back and 3 Right backs.

Priorities for the summer should be . . GK, Winger / wing Forward and another Striker.

Hazard and Llorente please :) not sure about keepers! there are so many crap ones around. I Think Brad can go another season and we need to get someone in to push him. And I dont rate Krul either.

the Bong is back!!

crisis? what crisis?

This message has been

03-khumalo-button.png

From a poster on SC. He's Welsh I think:

Arsenal put a bid of 3 million in for Nathan Dyer yesterday at 9.47pm Swansea said no chance arsenal then offered them Arshavin Swansea said no they then offered Coqulin on loan lol! But for some reason they wouldn't up the bid!!

Swansea contacted Hlebs agent apparently he wants 95k a week !!! Maybe going back to the scum?

I think you hope that they show glimpses on loan, they are young or raw or both to the premiership. So you just want to see some qualities. Livermore is still learning the game, at this Age Parker was not even seen as a defensive midfielder for example and had to stop his forward runs. Beckham did ok on a loan at Preston and that was it.

We have to have some space for our Youngsters to see a way into the team, if we are stuffed with over paid proffesionals its just madness. Even next season we will be starting with 6 centre backs if Bassong does not come back and 3 Right backs.

Priorities for the summer should be . . GK, Winger / wing Forward and another Striker.

Hazard and Llorente please :) not sure about keepers! there are so many crap ones around. I Think Brad can go another season and we need to get someone in to push him. And I dont rate Krul either.

this

Also, youngsters in the squad take up little of the wage budget. Allowing for more expensive players as well - classic bell curve

Didn't take Cisse long, scored his first goal for QPR tonight after 12 mins.

Best buy of the window?

From a poster on SC. He's Welsh I think:

Arsenal put a bid of 3 million in for Nathan Dyer yesterday at 9.47pm Swansea said no chance arsenal then offered them Arshavin Swansea said no they then offered Coqulin on loan lol! But for some reason they wouldn't up the bid!!

Swansea contacted Hlebs agent apparently he wants 95k a week !!! Maybe going back to the scum?

Nathan Dyer's a good one. We should have gotten him as back up and challenger to Lennon.

Pienaar reveals deadline drama

Spurs boss Redknapp initially rejected loan approach from Everton

Last Updated: February 2, 2012 3:02pm

Steven Pienaar has revealed Harry Redknapp initially attempted to block his loan move back to Everton from Tottenham.

The South Africa international midfielder completed his switch to Goodison Park for the remainder of the season with just moments to spare before Tuesday's 11pm transfer deadline.

Redknapp was keen to keep Pienaar at White Hart Lane after seeing his attempts to bring in Milos Krasic from Juventus thwarted.

But the Spurs boss eventually relented at the last minute, allowing Pienaar, who was on the bench for Tuesday night's 3-1 win over Wigan, to return to the club he left in a ?ú3million deal in January last year.

Stressful

Pienaar told Sky Sports News: "I was at a game and I was on the bench. After the game I went to see the gaffer to ask him if it was possible I could go somewhere because I need to play some football.

"At first he said no, I can't go. It was the most stressful moment.

"I had to push him to get him to say yes, and eventually it happened just 10 minutes before time.

"I was watching the game and wanting to get on, but in the meantime I was watching the clock and hoping it would slow down a little."

Opportunity

Pienaar is now looking forward to his second stint on Merseyside and is keen to help David Moyes' men build on Tuesday's victory over leaders Emirates Marketing Project and push for a Europa League berth.

He added: "I just feel excited to be back and hopefully I can make the most of it and hopefully it will be a successful time.

"I'm just happy to get the opportunity to play some football again. I will make sure I fight for my place in the team and hopefully help the club get a European spot.

"It was touch and go, but to be honest if it hadn't gone through I would have still pushed for my place there (Spurs) because I'm a professional.

"It happened, I've got the opportunity to come back and play football for this great club. I'm happy and looking forward to the next few months."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7474941/Pienaar-reveals-deadline-drama

Pienaar - Never say never

Returning ace has not ruled out loan spell becoming permanent

Last Updated: February 2, 2012 5:39pm

Pienaar delighted with loan move

Steven Pienaar has not ruled out the possibility of his loan spell at former club Everton becoming permanent.

The South Africa international moved from Tottenham to Goodison Park until the end of the season in a late transfer deadline day deal.

The 29-year-old, who left the Toffees for White Hart Lane a year ago, has not ruled out a longer stay, but wants to focus on playing at present after making seven appearances this season for Spurs.

He said: "You never know what will happen in football, things change every day.

"You never know what will happen in football, things change every day."
Steven Pienaar Quotes of the week

"If I have a good few months we will see what happens in the summer but let me focus on the first few months and get playing."

Pienaar was a key figure in manager David Moyes' side first time around but knows he will have to win over both the manager and the fans, having turned down a new contract to stay a year ago.

Good terms

However, he remained on good terms with many of the players while in north London and hopes that will help him settle back in quickly.

"I have been speaking to the players a lot and when the manager gave me a call on Tuesday it made things much easier," said Pienaar.

"Like all the other players I have to come and fight for my place.

"I know it is not going to be easy, the team has had two good wins so I will have to come and fight and show I deserve a place.

"You could say there is pressure because people will expect the same stuff but maybe I'll have a Landon Donovan effect (who returned to the club for a second loan spell from LA Galaxy) and do even better than last time."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7475363/Pienaar-Never-say-never

JJetset:

Did i mention last week that we had agreed personal terms with Leandro but cant agree with them for his club terms!! it frustrating as the price just keeps going up and up.
After Harrys trial he will go over there and watch him properly. (cue jokes about him doing a Ronnie Biggs...sigh..)

we looked at Ganso but he wanted to play every game as in guaranteed starter so that one didn't get off the ground.
I reckom we have a great chance with Remy and better chance than Leandro. I dont reckon we will get both but lets see how Daniel is....

JJ Any chance we will go back for Rossi

Yes we are monitoring that situation very closely as they really are skint.

On Hazard

Yes his club will sell. Hopefully not to the highest bidder!

Harry had a great meeting with him last week and he is worried about not playing each week like his mate Lukalu does. Same with City. We can near enough guarantee that.(though we wouldnt for others!)

not tapping up as Eden requested it with the clubs permission.

Daniel was over there the week before and we also had club directors there last week.

it got really serious and on Sunday Monday we thought or were very confident he was ours!

Not over yet and what he said in his press conference was nearly verbatim as per the discussion with Harry.

Make of it what you will but i think it's not as far fetched as the Chelsea supporters and press would like us to believe!

They also contacted us about him joining not the other way around!!!

Knocked us for six hence Daniel going over there initially and when he asked to meet Harry after the clubs agreed terms it was really surreal but then nothing happened, well YET

It would also help if we keep singing his (Redknapp) name like the other night. He LOVED it!

He absolutely loved it and was completely buzzing because of that!! no joke but keep it up!!!

Yes keeping a very close eye on Kovacic!

Modric situation is ongoing I thought he was going in the summer but I reckon he may stay but too hard to know at the moment. I reckon prepare for the worst and anything else is a bonus!

Back