• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Is This The Best World Cup Ever?

NaijaSpurs

Rafael Van Der Vaart
I think it is the World Cup that just keeps on giving. Sure some people will complain about the quality of the defending but personally I cannot remember a World Cup where I have enjoyed so many matches. What do you guys think?

I've been watching since 1998. As for me - defenitely yes. Shame I missed some matches due to holiday time.

It has certainly been the best of the modern era. I think the fact that there has been no stand out team, that all teams have strengths and weaknesses, and that the gap between the top and bottom appears to have narrowed has made it a much more even and unpredictable competition.

I've enjoyed it, some of the last 16 games were a bit naff, hoping it really steps up a notch going forward...

Its been good but for me it's still 1990 for me mainly cos England did well... Also sentimental in that it was the first world cup I could remember.

This world cup, I think is good due to its competitiveness ie all teams are giving each other a good game and no stand out team. It's lacked quality but the intensity of games barring a few has been commendable

After the season we had last year, was on a downer. This WC has been great and helped me forget a lot of the dross we had to endure

1978.....showing my age,lol...ticker tape....scotland losing to peru then beating holland,archie gemmills goal......allys army,hollands long range goals,the argies beating peru 6-0,and wishing spurs would sign ardiles and perhaps kempes,oh ok villa,and we did !!!!!

1978.....showing my age,lol...ticker tape....scotland losing to peru then beating holland,archie gemmills goal......allys army,hollands long range goals,the argies beating peru 6-0,and wishing spurs would sign ardiles and perhaps kempes,oh ok villa,and we did !!!!!

How good were Villa and Ardiles when we signed them, which players in this World Cup would you compare them to? I know they were good players for us but, not having been born in 1978, I have no idea how good they were in the Tournament.

The second round games have been mostly poor in terms of quality, but there has been high drama.

Most of the bigger teams looked so scared to lose their second round games, that the danger is this will be even greater when we get to the quarters and semis etc.

Hope not.

How good were Villa and Ardiles when we signed them, which players in this World Cup would you compare them to? I know they were good players for us but, not having been born in 1978, I have no idea how good they were in the Tournament.

Ardiles was first choice,Villa was used as a sub mailnly during the comp.Comparing them ,i say Ardiles bit like Modric Villa like Chadli but its a very loose comparision,when they started for Spurs it was Villa who started the brighter but was less consistent than Ardiles,

Can't believe we're talking about over thirty years ago...jesh!!

Ardiles was first choice,Villa was used as a sub mailnly during the comp.Comparing them ,i say Ardiles bit like Modric Villa like Chadli but its a very loose comparision,when they started for Spurs it was Villa who started the brighter but was less consistent than Ardiles,

Not like Suarez?

Best one i've seen. Even the games that look boring on paper have been exciting, the teams are far more evenly matched than ever before - in my opinion - either through better tactics, higher levels of fitness, greater freedom (which also means poorer/less conservative defending) and there has been more 'shocks' than other World Cups i've seen.

Best in a long while. I thought 1998 was good as well.

As others have pointed out the quality of nearly all the games has been decent or better. There is the argument that the Euros had become the better tournament as there were less mismatches. This world cup rather makes that argument moot, just as the Euros are expanding.

However, I think it too early to decide. We need a good finish to rank it the best. A final like last time would taint the whole thing in the memory.

The QF and prospective SFs are set up to produce a good finish, though. For instance, Germany-Brasil and Argentina-Netherlands could be classics and a Brasil-Argentina final could be one for the ages. Of course, the way this world cup has gone we could see Colombia go all the way and that would be good too. And what if Belgium get their act together. Most sides have produced good football and/or have the superstars to produce some magic. We really could see something to rival 1970.

On the pitch it's been extraordinarily competitive. We've seen phenomenal athletes dead on their feet and we've only reached the second round.

But it is still a waste of money in a country that has so many social problems.

I was backing Holland, but the Argies turned it up in the final, Kempes exploded that year. Well, they all did. I remember watching on tv with a mate during a week long summer trip with school down to Swanage in Dorset. Fun times. And it's closer to 40 years ago !!!

Last edited:
Without a doubt. I thought the 2006 World Cup was excellent but this one has been unbelievable! Some fantastic goals, attacking play from the very first match, big players like Messi having great tournaments, late drama, high scoring games, being played in a football mad country without ****ing vuvuzelas. What is there to not like?

Also, much more entertaining since England went out. One of the worst teams in it. At least Spain had the good grace to go out in a ball of flames. England just kind of fizzled away like a spark in a puddle.

Back