• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I want Poch back

We were the better team in that final albeit neither side played great. On a couple of occasions we had them 3v3 or 4v4 and the final pass was dreadful. You can't blame Poch for that.

Alisson got MOTM if memory serves me correctly. Poch was no more clueless than Klopp in that final.

The fact we're even talking about Tottenham Hotspur being in a CL final classes Poch as a success for me. Growing up, even when it expanded, I often wondered if I'd ever see us play in the competition. To qualify 4 years in a row and get to the final was a remarkable achievement and much more so when you consider some of the conditions he was working under.
I don't agree with the view he was clueless. Just playing devil's advocate as to where that view might come from re the final.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Indeed. As I said in another post; if Conte got us to 4th place and a CL final this season the very same people who criticise Poch would be treating Conte like a GHod.

How Poch got a team to 4th place and the CL final with zero new players, one very important one sold in Jan, a bunch of injuries and the majority of the team going to the final game of the WC in the preceding summer I’ll never know. The fact that some of our fans can’t appreciate that shows why we don’t deserve him back.
Sure compounding factors but it was a poor final. At least Liverpool had reason to look spent after a high octane season.

Same as now, not entirely Conte's fault but the football is poor.

Wouldn’t be against him coming back but it seems a bit soon? Jose had two stints at Chelsea but they were 6 years apart.

Also have doubts over whether he can get us over the line if we get back into the position of challenging for league titles and reaching cup finals. I’d have little doubts of him getting us consistently in the top 4 and close to winning things but can he win those one off finals where it requires astute tactics to outsmart your opposite number?

Wouldn’t be against him coming back but it seems a bit soon? Jose had two stints at Chelsea but they were 6 years apart.

Also have doubts over whether he can get us over the line if we get back into the position of challenging for league titles and reaching cup finals. I’d have little doubts of him getting us consistently in the top 4 and close to winning things but can he win those one off finals where it requires astute tactics to outsmart your opposite number?

Having the ability to build a deeper squad would help us massively in that regard, in that you're more fresh come the business end of the season whilst also giving you more/better options to change things in game.

Having the ability to build a deeper squad would help us massively in that regard, in that you're more fresh come the business end of the season whilst also giving you more/better options to change things in game.

I agree with that. I do feel we never really turned up in one off, win or go home games. Part of that is the lack of options on the bench I accept but the players we had didn’t play to their potential in those games. Doesn’t help that we often played big teams. Arsenal didn’t win a trophy for 9 years and limped over the line against Hull to win the FA cup. If we could have scraped over the line against opposition of that calibre then I have no doubt more trophies would have followed.

I’ve seen a report of Diego Simeone being linked to us if Conte were to go. That cannot be true. Imagine three managers who all achieve results BUT also with most boring playing styles all within a period of 3-4 years. Simeone would arrive on borrowed time in such a scenario and wouldn’t last long.

I’ve seen a report of Diego Simeone being linked to us if Conte were to go. That cannot be true. Imagine three managers who all achieve results BUT also with most boring playing styles all within a period of 3-4 years. Simeone would arrive on borrowed time in such a scenario and wouldn’t last long.

I’m inclined to agree. He’s a brilliant manager but I feel we need a break from the turgid football we’ve had to put up with since Poch left. Especially considering it hasn’t yielded us trophies. Albeit we might have won the league cup if Jose had been allowed to lead the team out for the final.

Sure compounding factors but it was a poor final. At least Liverpool had reason to look spent after a high octane season.

Same as now, not entirely Conte's fault but the football is poor.
???? Did Liverpool (with their bigger squad of high quality players) play more games than us?

I agree with that. I do feel we never really turned up in one off, win or go home games. Part of that is the lack of options on the bench I accept but the players we had didn’t play to their potential in those games. Doesn’t help that we often played big teams. Arsenal didn’t win a trophy for 9 years and limped over the line against Hull to win the FA cup. If we could have scraped over the line against opposition of that calibre then I have no doubt more trophies would have followed.

Yeah luck of draw also plays apart - been mentioned plenty of times before that our final/semi defeats were all against experienced winning teams that were favourites for the ties (not that that means you shouldn't anything be able to raise your game)

We did win big one off win lr go home games as you put it, you don't get to a CL final or break in to the top 4 from our position without doing that, it's just the few we had which would have resulted in a trophy we didn't

I really don't care about winning, I want us to play entertaining football. Entertain me.

I really don't care about winning, I want us to play entertaining football. Entertain me.
I care about winning, but it seems we aren’t doing it whichever way we try:D- it’s harder than ever now with Saudi Sportswashing Machine joining the party too. Therefore if the Conte era doesn’t yield any trophies, I’ll be all for going back to Poch or a Poch type coach with swashbuckling football. At least then I can enjoy watching my team most weeks regardless of the result….

i care about only about regular champions league .
if we qualify every time, the extra money and exposure to higher standards of oppostion, not to mention the ability to attract the better players - it will eventually translate into success somewhere.

I have decided I want @thfcsteff as future manager. We want a manager who has connections with supporters and what better than a guy who clearly knows his stuff. Someone I don’t always agree with but respect. Someone who is a big part of one of the best Spurs podcasts.

I mean we’ve tried everything else so if Conte doesn’t work out….

No he's the biggest name/best on paper - as with any appointment that only counts for so much.

If he's too stuck in his ways and carries on with the safety first negative football despite it taking us backwards then he is evidently not the best man for the job.

We don't need to start afresh this is just you still blaming the old players for the lack of quality signed since they were originally here - we need a few additions in key positions and a manager who can get them playing as a team. Bastoni/Gvardiol type CB, x 2 if possible, Dumfries at RWB and Maddison - then we have the key components of a good team covered - this can be done over the next couple of windows, not enough to have us up with City but enough to have a team with good quality in the right areas and the right blend to play football without having to compromise because of weak links in the starting XI

Agree with your proposed additions and general point. However, I personally don't want Poch back . Going back rarely works. He was magic in his early time here but I still believe he was helped by an incredible confluence of factors coming together at the same time. This is unlikely to be replicated.

Poch Mark 2 was a disaster for us. He presided over our decline. He failed to improve any youngster outside our first team. Our signings were invariably not good enough under him and his final throw of the dice was NDombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon. He brought through not a single player from our academy in his entire time with us. Poch Mark 1 was fantastic but I don't think that person exists any more.

Even @thfcsteff has acknowledged he wouldn't want Poch back. If Conte walks or the football remains unpalatable next season we should bring in a young enthusiastic manager committed to attacking football with fresh ideas. As @billyiddo has said the raw materials are largely in place. We just need a head coach to bring them all together.

Back