• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I don't think either Lamela or Eriksen had good games last night but that could be more down to trying to unlock the 8 man wall in front of them. Lamela made one glaring error in trying to play Eriksen through with a miracle ball when there was a simple layoff to Son but other than that he had a reasonable game. Neither in my opinion should be "first name on the teamsheet" but to say they should be dropped on the basis of one bad game is ridiculous. Had we always had that approach we wouldn't have Kane in our lineup.

I think this is what happens when a player many had written off starts to prove them wrong - any perceived dip in form gets jumped all over.

No, no, it's about honest appraisal of performance now, not on performance two months ago. Yeah, Lamela was playing well earlier, but he isn't now. With a sharp Son twiddling his thumbs, it would be stupid not to start him. Eriksen was poor up until this week, but he has come good. Poch did relegate him to the bench, so why not the golden boy?

No, no, it's about honest appraisal of performance now, not on performance two months ago. Yeah, Lamela was playing well earlier, but he isn't now. With a sharp Son twiddling his thumbs, it would be stupid not to start him. Eriksen was poor up until this week, but he has come good. Poch did relegate him to the bench, so why not the golden boy?

An honest appraisal isn't so honest when it views only the bad, he was perfectly fine last night - fudged up with the 3 on 2 but then he played his part in our opening goal with some neat footwork to beat a player and play in Carroll. Plenty of good build up play and link up play from him but granted his final ball was a little off.

I do fail to understand how some watch a game ( maybe watching on the box is the reason) but Lamela ( although not having his best game last night) was no where as bad as some are trying to make out, as Dublin said he is at the centre of most of our movement and his workrate is second to none.

I do fail to understand how some watch a game ( maybe watching on the box is the reason) but Lamela ( although not having his best game last night) was no where as bad as some are trying to make out, as Dublin said he is at the centre of most of our movement and his workrate is second to none.

I had to take an extra valium due Erik last night. I think he has his boots on the wrong feet. Yes great effort from the lad, but his application is 'erratic' or Edit - Skittish

I had to take an extra valium due Erik last night. I think he has his boots on the wrong feet. Yes great effort from the lad, but his application is 'erratic' or Edit - Skittish

As I have said it was not his best game I agree, but to hear some go on you would think he was a pub player.

Probably wanted to save Eriksen from getting the flack if he did not score from it, little did he know that he would bring the hogwash down on himself. ;)

I think he will struggle long term IF he just 'runs about a bit'. I like the improvement Erik has shown but he needs look at Son for the other part of his game. His effort is not in question.

As I have said it was not his best game I agree, but to hear some go on you would think he was a pub player.

No one has suggested he is a pub player. Nor questioned his work rate. His final ball was off. As it has been for quite a time now. All that some are suggesting is that it is time to give Son a run in the side.

No one has suggested he is a pub player. Nor questioned his work rate. His final ball was off. As it has been for quite a time now. All that some are suggesting is that it is time to give Son a run in the side.

I have no problem with giving Son more games ( if fit) but I do believe there are some ( not saying you are) who still can not admit they were wrong about Lamela during his first year or so here.

An honest appraisal isn't so honest when it views only the bad, he was perfectly fine last night - fudgeed up with the 3 on 2 but then he played his part in our opening goal with some neat footwork to beat a player and play in Carroll. Plenty of good build up play and link up play from him but granted his final ball was a little off.

Nor is an honest appraisal looking at his one good moment and ignoring all the rest by saying "his final ball was a little off" . It was not just last night, he has been below par for a little while now. Why are you so adverse to giving Son, who I think you will agree was MoM last night and played a blinder, should not be granted a run in the side to see what he can do?

Just wow at this whole debate... someone tell me his stats for the season? Then tell me he's rubbish. I thought Chadli had a far worse game (not too bad overall).. How people can still get on Lamela's back is beyond me, the guy is fundamental to Poch's press, and he has quality to match. If hes not making the obvious pass then im glad, because who wants a standard player thats always going for the obvious!

Just wow at this whole debate... someone tell me his stats for the season? Then tell me he's rubbish. I thought Chadli had a far worse game (not too bad overall).. How people can still get on Lamela's back is beyond me, the guy is fundamental to Poch's press, and he has quality to match. If hes not making the obvious pass then im glad, because who wants a standard player thats always going for the obvious!

Not to nitpick but the obvious pass is nearly almost the right one IMO. Lamela's improvement this season for me has mostly been in his decision making on when to move the ball quicker and attempt the obvious pass.

Lamela doing fine in my eyes and still deserves his starting spot at the moment. Son is knocking on the door all right, but last night excluded, he has looked pretty rusty in his sub appearances.

Nor is an honest appraisal looking at his one good moment and ignoring all the rest by saying "his final ball was a little off" . It was not just last night, he has been below par for a little while now. Why are you so adverse to giving Son, who I think you will agree was MoM last night and played a blinder, should not be granted a run in the side to see what he can do?

But I didn't say I was giving an honest appraisal - was just balancing out the wholly negative posts ;)

I think Son should get a run in the team, Im just undecided as to who's expense that should be because neither Lamela or Eriksen are playing bad enough to be dropped imv and those saying either are, are being incredibly harsh.

Agree that the obvious is right the majority of the time, but what impresses me is his willingness to keep the ball moving for the team, and sometimes its at risk of losing the ball, however it is very important for tempo. Carroll is the same, always looking to keep the tempo up, its pivotal to our play when we're playing well.

No doubt both will improve their decision making in this aspect.

Just to point out - when I defend Lamela, I'm not suggesting that Son (or anyone else) isn't good enough. Right now, we're blessed with a set of good attacking midfielders, some of whom can be great on their day. And I firmly believe you can make a decent, unbiased case for any of them to be in the starting 11. I don't envy Pochettino's team selections these days - whatever side he picks, he's leaving out a potential game-changer. So if we play badly, fans can - quite legitimately - wonder whether it would have been different if "Player X" had been on, instead of "Player Y".

Personally, I'm keenly aware of Lamela's limitations. I hope (and expect) he'll work on those areas of his game and improve. But on balance, for me he's a firm fixture in our first team right now, simply because he's absolutely crucial to our high press tactic. I know his detractors will say they're "not questioning his work-rate", and I get that. IMO though, I just don't think they value it highly enough given the way we play under Pochettino. I genuinely believe Lamela is a huge part of our successful domination of midfield this season, which in turn feeds into the best defensive record in the league. That he can also be an effective force going forward (most days this season) is obviously crucial too.

I think it's fair enough to say that he wasn't very good last night, but he has been good overall this season. I also think it's fair to say that Son had such a good game (1 goal, 1 assist, 2 chances created for Eriksen and Kane) that he deserves to start against Palace.

IMO, we'd be a better team with Eriksen and Lamela competing for one spot, with Son and another 'forward' competing for the other spot. That's not a slight against Lamela at all, it's just my opinion that out attack has potential to be better balanced.

Just to point out - when I defend Lamela, I'm not suggesting that Son (or anyone else) isn't good enough. Right now, we're blessed with a set of good attacking midfielders, some of whom can be great on their day. And I firmly believe you can make a decent, unbiased case for any of them to be in the starting 11. I don't envy Pochettino's team selections these days - whatever side he picks, he's leaving out a potential game-changer. So if we play badly, fans can - quite legitimately - wonder whether it would have been different if "Player X" had been on, instead of "Player Y".

Very good point.
Long gone are the days of sticking Reto Ziegler on the left wing because he has a good left foot and there's nobody else. We have genuine strength in depth.

Back