• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

It was a good ball but nothing that any other winger wouldn't do a simple low ball across the 6 yard box. Even in the cup games he has started he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. I still think he will prove a quality signing but not until he gets settled.

I disagree about it being just a simple ball in, but that's not important. It's still a decent return from less than 45 minutes of PL football for us and, like I said, a bit harsh to call that nothing.

no not with naughton.

in the best balanced 11 siggy with rose

Cool.

What do you think about Chadli on the left so far?

someone really needs to tell the kid that he wasnt bought to make an impact this season. i think one of the acolytes should do that.

you potentially signed away your world cup slot when you came to tottenham under the banner of a project. be patient, your chance may or may not come this year

Of course that is your opinion rather than a fact. AVB has formed for introducing players slowly, I am sure that he will get plenty of chances to bag a first team spot over the course of the season.

I disagree about it being just a simple ball in, but that's not important. It's still a decent return from less than 45 minutes of PL football for us and, like I said, a bit harsh to call that nothing.

Cool.

What do you think about Chadli on the left so far?

not impressed , but a very solid squad player. so therefore a good addition

if he could slip someone through once in a while or hit the target as often as townsend does with his weaker foot then i might be excited seeing his name on the sheet

but right now i just get the idea that he is just another technical player that helps fulfil AVB's philosophy of possession football with bigger sized men.

having said that, i do like chadli when he is up against an average to poor right back. he makes good choices and shows diversity in his approach

Of course that is your opinion rather than a fact. AVB has formed for introducing players slowly, I am sure that he will get plenty of chances to bag a first team spot over the course of the season.

no its not. i'm basically going on the opinion, yours included, that he was bought as a project , with no guarantee or need to make first team headway this season. i also remember asking you how long this project needed or at least we needed to wait before the term project goes out the window. you didnt answer, probably because like most people you have no idea and dont really know how good the boy will be within a given time frame

so are you saying we should be expecting him to be a first team regular this season? making that spot his own through undeniable performances..like sandro did when he first came. he took his chance and showed us he is a daddy

Last edited:

AS i don't get it mate....have you seen Lamela before he joined us?

nope

but i dont trust anyone anymore when they tell me how amazing he is supposed to be. if he was THAT good RIGHT NOW then i dont think we would be using him as sparingly as we have so far

AS i don't get it mate....have you seen Lamela before he joined us?

let me ask you something.

how good is he? should i be excited? (take into account i only have to go on what i have seen here and stuff i have read about)...i'm talking REALLY wet my pants excited that i cant control myself excited

or should i give this boy who isnt as good at this very moment as people hype him up to be, the time he needs to adapt and get himself together and then see a good player emerge at the other end?

i'm rejecting the worshipping hype that came with him before he signed completely, and i am adopting the one that many smothered me with that this kid is not anywhere near the finished article and has a long way to go to realise his immense potential (the irony is that he has the intelligence of a seasoned CL level pro from what i can see)

nope

but i dont trust anyone anymore when they tell me how amazing he is supposed to be. if he was THAT good RIGHT NOW then i dont think we would be using him as sparingly as we have so far

but it takes time for some to adapt to this league right?

AVB imho should have put him in earlier BUT he doesn't want to change a winning formula which makes perfect sense (except for his bozo decision to start Defoe ahead of Soldado against Spammers). No matter how exceptional Lamela is ...we were winning games so AVB didn't want to change it (that seems like his style).

let me ask you something.

how good is he? should i be excited? (take into account i only have to go on what i have seen here and stuff i have read about)...i'm talking REALLY wet my pants excited that i cant control myself excited

or should i give this boy who isnt as good at this very moment as people hype him up to be, the time he needs to adapt and get himself together and then see a good player emerge at the other end?

i'm rejecting the worshipping hype that came with him before he signed completely, and i am adopting the one that many smothered me with that this kid is not anywhere near the finished article and has a long way to go to realise his immense potential (the irony is that he has the intelligence of a seasoned CL level pro from what i can see)

At Roma last season he was nothing short of exceptional...i mean there's absolutely no doubt about it. The hype was justified if you're taking into account just his form from last season.....as i said though some people need time to get going in this physical league. It's not as if AVB has given him a run of premier league games and he hasn't performed...he hasn't been given opportunities in this league.

but it takes time for some to adapt to this league right?

AVB imho should have put him in earlier BUT he doesn't want to change a winning formula which makes perfect sense (except for his bozo decision to start Defoe ahead of Soldado against Spammers). No matter how exceptional Lamela is ...we were winning games so AVB didn't want to change it (that seems like his style).

i hope thats the case

and you are right it does take time for people to adapt to a league. but people cant make me drool over this kid just by talking it, if you get my drift. i see lots of potential from this boy, especially as he has an advanced brain and a decent enough technical ability to carry out his thoughts....but i am not jumping out of my seat just yet.

hopefully he gets more opportunities

At Roma last season he was nothing short of exceptional...i mean there's absolutely no doubt about it. The hype was justified if you're taking into account just his form from last season.....as i said though some people need time to get going in this physical league. It's not as if AVB has given him a run of premier league games and he hasn't performed...he hasn't been given opportunities in this league.

thats another thing. would you say the brand of football we have play now is more in line with the one played by roma last season or the one played by luis enrique two seasons ago?

Lamela is being kept out of the side because Townsend is undroppable. That is not a reflection on Lamela in any way.
The natural reaction of great players is to respond to competition.

thats another thing. would you say the brand of football we have play now is more in line with the one played by roma last season or the one played by luis enrique two seasons ago?

Totally different Tbh. Roma played extremely attacking football With no structure or plan. He might nor be best suited to our extremely slow paced and rigid style....only time will tell.

Give him time. The mark of great players is how they adapt to different circumstances, and how they accept challenges that would seem too daunting for lesser players.

He gave up a cast-iron first team spot at Roma, a club he loved and felt at home in, in a country whose climate and culture probably suited him down to the ground.....to go to a cold, wet, windy island which spoke a language he had no grasp of whatsoever, and which had a league that was far more physical and speedy than the slower tactical game he was used to. To a team that had six players fighting for his preferred spots across the attacking midfield, and one that was still trying to adapt to a rigorous new style imposed by their young (and some would say naive) manager. And he left Roma, where he was an idol, to come to Spurs, to replace an idol. In the process, he gave up his guaranteed starting berth an next summer's World Cup as well.

Point being ,he's taken on an awful lot of challenges for a lad of 21. But that gives me hope that he'll grow into them as time goes on.

His priorities now should be bulking up a bit and sharpening his reaction time: while Townsend is in this sort of form, he won't get much action, so he should use this free time productively. Then, when January rolls around and Townsend needs a break, he can be bedded in more comfortably, and with four months of life in England under his belt, he should be better placed to seize that chance.

And then we'll hopefully see what he can really do, before we cave in and sell him to our beloved Spanish parent club at some point for 150 million euros or something. Of that I have no doubt.

no its not. i'm basically going on the opinion, yours included, that he was bought as a project , with no guarantee or need to make first team headway this season. i also remember asking you how long this project needed or at least we needed to wait before the term project goes out the window. you didnt answer, probably because like most people you have no idea and dont really know how good the boy will be within a given time frame

so are you saying we should be expecting him to be a first team regular this season? making that spot his own through undeniable performances..like sandro did when he first came. he took his chance and showed us he is a daddy

Apologies, i should have said that is an opinion not fact. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth.

I don't recall saying that Lamela was a "project" (GHod I hate that word in football). I don't think that he is any different to any other signing that we made this summer, bar Soldado. I think that AVB is generally pretty cautious when integrating new players but I am sure that over the course of the season all of the new signings will get chances to stake a claim to a first team place.

It's a side argument but I do not remember Sandro coming in and showing us that he was the daddy. My recollection was of a relatively slow introduction with his influence and importance growing over time.

But Sandro took time to become the player he is now. At the beginning I remember many people not being impressed with him

But Sandro took time to become the player he is now. At the beginning I remember many people not being impressed with him

He didn't really feature for the first six months I thought, played maybe one or two games for us, then he played against ac Milan and it was clear IMO that he was a beast.

I saw enough on Sandros debut against Arsenal to know he'd be a good acquisition.

He played exactly like he looked on his Youtube video, beastly.

He didn't really feature for the first six months I thought, played maybe one or two games for us, then he played against ac Milan and it was clear IMO that he was a beast.

Seriously! It took Hugo nearly the whole first half of the season to get into the team. Modric struggled when he first came, as did Bale and Sandro. Calling Lamela a "squad player" is laughable, just like all those who wrote off the other great players who took a little while to bed in. He joined in the last week of the window, FFS. Shinji Kagawa is a legitimate world class player, and he's been at Man United and isn't even fully settled yet. Give the kid some time.

Seriously! It took Hugo nearly the whole first half of the season to get into the team. Modric struggled when he first came, as did Bale and Sandro. Calling Lamela a "squad player" is laughable, just like all those who wrote off the other great players who took a little while to bed in. He joined in the last week of the window, FFS. Shinji Kagawa is a legitimate world class player, and he's been at Man United and isn't even fully settled yet. Give the kid some time.

When did I call lamela a squad player?

(Technically in my mind every player is a squad player, as we have a ****ing impressive squad and we should make use of it)

Bit confused by your reply, as all I did was talk about Sandro, didn't mention anyone else and didn't mean it to be taken as my opinion on anyone else.

Back