• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Scholes was a thug in the same way that Maradonna was a thug i.e. he was just really bad at tackling. I personally think that if we played Scholes for England in the middle instead of on the left, instead of persevering with Gerrard/Lampard/Batty/Ince/Parker, England would have been far more successful, but that is probably for another thread! ;)
I don't think Scholes was as inept as he wanted us all to think when it came to tackling.

I think that most of the time he knew exactly what he was doing and just got away with it by pretending he didn't.

I don't think Scholes was as inept as he wanted us all to think when it came to tackling.

I think that most of the time he knew exactly what he was doing and just got away with it by pretending he didn't.

That is exactly my point .. and he got the whole Manure sucking media to buy into/spread it ..

I don't disagree but he got his fair share of yellows and reds maybe deserved more.

Still can't understand how our why man u got away with it for so long. If i was a ref id want to stick it to them more so.

But back to lamella, his tackling is average and probably where it would be with attacking players, nothing more nothing less.

Can't believe that people are on him for his tackling. He chases and harries players which i think is a bonus and possibly one of the reasons poch persists with him.

Game time will ultimately be his best friend in his development, fans just need to be patient and realistic at this moment.

I don't disagree but he got his fair share of yellows and reds maybe deserved more.

Still can't understand how our why man u got away with it for so long. If i was a ref id want to stick it to them more so.

But back to lamella, his tackling is average and probably where it would be with attacking players, nothing more nothing less.

Can't believe that people are on him for his tackling. He chases and harries players which i think is a bonus and possibly one of the reasons poch persists with him.

Game time will ultimately be his best friend in his development, fans just need to be patient and realistic at this moment.

Fans are on Lamela because he often does stupid/poor tackles in an area that gives opponents set piece opportunities (Poch needs to coach that out of him)

We seem to be committed to giving him play time, chance to develop, my biggest concern is we train the flair out of Lamela and make him a workhorse. The reason we paid stupid money for him was we wanted a game changer. (on entirely different topic, it's why I don't give credit to people who go on about Eriksen being a pussy, he can be a pussy who scores and assists all season long for al I care).

Maybe, but you cannot argue with his quality. I personally think one of the best english midfielders of our so-called "golden generation".

Fans are on Lamela because he often does stupid/poor tackles in an area that gives opponents set piece opportunities (Poch needs to coach that out of him)

We seem to be committed to giving him play time, chance to develop, my biggest concern is we train the flair out of Lamela and make him a workhorse. The reason we paid stupid money for him was we wanted a game changer. (on entirely different topic, it's why I don't give credit to people who go on about Eriksen being a pussy, he can be a pussy who scores and assists all season long for al I care).

I don't think we will train the flair out of him to be fair. He's being far more effective now than when he first arrived, and I think previous criticisms were that he tried to do the impossible too often. Out of all of our players, it is only him, Eriksen and Kane that I would say could pick out a real incisive pass. Mason maybe. And I completely agree with you about Eriksen but would say that he is not the pussy that some make him out to be, first and foremost and, as you say, who cares if he continues to contribute.

Re. Lamela's tackling, I think that he has got a bit of a temper on him and loses his head for a little while after someone has clattered him

Lamella now is playing a much more functional role in the team and he seems to be relishing it. He is playing in a way that reminds me of Milner for example

He doesn't seem to have the flashiness in his locker as much as he certainly did at Roma for example but what he is doing is contributing and that was always my bug bear

It's the argument as to why a lot of people think Willian has been a success because he is contributing and impacting games

We all want to see the best players but I think were mainly happy to see the players we have put in a shift and see where that takes us most of the time. Lamella has been guilty IMO of putting in a. Shift but doing very little with his efforts. Now that doesn't seem to be the case and he looks like a much better player for it

Re. Lamela's tackling, I think that he has got a bit of a temper on him and loses his head for a little while after someone has clattered him

I have thought the same thing, I know he is 23 but some players mature later then others and I think as he gets older he should be able to control that temper.

I have thought the same thing, I know he is 23 but some players mature later then others and I think as he gets older he should be able to control that temper.
Temper and fight is something we have been lacking for years! I'm more than happy with it, as long as it doesn't get out of hand, and so far none of our players have. This year we have seen many cases of "taking one for the team", and that's something I like. I say keep up the good work!

Temper and fight is something we have been lacking for years! I'm more than happy with it, as long as it doesn't get out of hand, and so far none of our players have. This year we have seen many cases of "taking one for the team", and that's something I like. I say keep up the good work!

Tell me about it! As long as it's controlled and targeted well, we need more!

Id be interested to see a highlights package of Dier's 5 bookings and how many were cynical to stop the attack..

Lamela's seem more like him hanging a leg out for somebody to go over, or not understanding you cant go through somebody to win the ball.

I do not disagree with that, "taking one for the team" is fine but doing it in temper is going to cost him if he does not control it, but like I say hopefully he will grow out of that.

I do not disagree with that, "taking one for the team" is fine but doing it in temper is going to cost him if he does not control it, but like I say hopefully he will grow out of that.
Lamelas yellow vs Liverpool is something of the worst refereeing I have ever seen! Moreno suddenly slammed on the breaks and was nowhere near in control of the ball then. Lamela was 2 feet behind, and obviously collides with Moreno. A more clear-cut case of obstruction is difficult to find! Regardless of that, Lamela got criticized for that booking! Laughable!

Lamelas yellow vs Liverpool is something of the worst refereeing I have ever seen! Moreno suddenly slammed on the breaks and was nowhere near in control of the ball then. Lamela was 2 feet behind, and obviously collides with Moreno. A more clear-cut case of obstruction is difficult to find! Regardless of that, Lamela got criticized for that booking! Laughable!

As far as I know Lamella has 11 bookings and some are because he has reacted to being tackled before, I am not having a go at him but he has lashed out when it is not really the thing to do. As I said he will grow out of this and move on.

He was criticised not so much for the incident that got him the card as for not modifying his behaviour afterwards, given that he'd been booked, and even in the knowledge that the referee's performance had been terrible.

He was criticised not so much for the incident that got him the card as for not modifying his behaviour afterwards, given that he'd been booked, and even in the knowledge that the referee's performance had been terrible.

Exactly, and that is why I mentioned his temper and he needs to control it.

Exactly, and that is why I mentioned his temper and he needs to control it.

Considering how bad Rose was re temper, and Poch has somehow managed to get him to control it, hope still for Lamela

I really do like that Rose, Lamela, Dier, Mason have an aggressiveness to them, they won't roll over or be bullied ...

Considering how bad Rose was re temper, and Poch has somehow managed to get him to control it, hope still for Lamela

I really do like that Rose, Lamela, Dier, Mason have an aggressiveness to them, they won't roll over or be bullied ...

I did say earlier that there are some who struggle with temper and can take more time ( age wise) before they are able to do that, I expect that Lamela will do so eventually.

Indeed...a far cry from the pansies we've had in the past, esp the 90s...

Back