• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Erik Lamela - Official

why was the bit underlined obvious? it wasnt obvious to me

Then I am surprised at you because common sense dictates that when you you sign a 21 year old for £30m a large percentage of that fee has to be potential.

the reviews on here made it out like he was significantly better than anything we had save for bale...and that he would pretty much deliver straight away. how are ordinary folk that dont watch footy as much as we would like supposed to know its only potential and not current ability

most people who gave those reviews probably have never seen him play 90mins before and probably based their reviews on a combination of his goal stats from last season, a few utube clips (we all do that) and the fact that he is a young Argentine.

even factoring that i was still expecting more personally from him yesterday

I refer you to my post above re Gary Lineker. I would also cast your mind back to teh slating Sandro got after his debute. Not everybody can have a dream debute. Mido got 2 league goals on his debute it took Bergkampa hell of a long time to get his first goal, so go figure :)

Last edited:

Both Henry and Bergkamp needed sometime to settle at Arsenal but once they had settled they did not do badly now did they.

And bringing it closer to home do you guys remember when we signed Gary Lineker from Barca? A World class striker, a goal scorer extradnoire. Guess what? He did not score on his league debute? Nor in his second, third or fourth match? When the whistle went at the end of his sixxth match he was still without a goal. I was on his side, I knew he would come good but the mindless hoardes were baying for blood. Next match again he failed to hit the back of the net. So think about it Gary Lineker the golden boy of English football 7 league matches no goals. By this time he was getting slaughtered, but I kept the faith. Next league game he scored, and continued scoring, and eventually won the golden boot that season.

All I am saying is give the boy time, to do otherwise is just stupidity.

Outstanding post

=D> =D> =D>

The signing of Lamela did not excite me as most on here, I felt it was more intermediate/long term thinking than anything else, also having been 21 when I went to uni it made me think that if it was bad enough being nervous and home sick in a new town, then GHod knows what it would be like being nervous and homesick in a new country at that age.

I feel Lamela has a lot of talent, getting an assist on his full debut in a performance I was quite impressed with from his touches to that interception in the second half is a good start but I feel he still has a long way to go before we see the best of him, in fact it could even be a two year wait, something I'm willing to do.

The price tag could be a burden but I feel the club have acted well, whilst he is our record signing the club seemed to make it as low key as possible, not bigging him up. What might help in this sense is that the club no longer do press conferences to unveil a player.

a simple pass? who called it that?..you need to point out the part where its described as a simple pass...otherwise i'm going for the assumption you dont have much to stand on and made it up

and this is the first time you've heard a team mate heap praise on his team mates? Jeez, so now when your team mate or coach even says something...there is no factoring in for a little bit of friendly bias

"i would encourage you to watch the better teams and look at how often balls like that are played all over the pitch"

that sentence implies its pretty simple to play balls like that

african I accept you did not say anything to suggest that you will not give him time, so my bad.

However, I do think your mistake was expecting too much at this time. I would also suggest in the future you should base your opinons more on what you have seen on a player rather on the opinons of others

a simple pass? who called it that?..you need to point out the part where its described as a simple pass...otherwise i'm going for the assumption you dont have much to stand on and made it up

and this is the first time you've heard a team mate heap praise on his team mates? Jeez, so now when your team mate or coach even says something...there is no factoring in for a little bit of friendly bias

ok, it wasnt sublime, it wasnt simple, it was somewhere in between.......what i will say is that its nice to have a players that can do that in the final third. We now have him, Eriksen and Holtby. I feel its what we have been missing.

"i would encourage you to watch the better teams and look at how often balls like that are played all over the pitch"

that sentence implies its pretty simple to play balls like that

aha, implied doesnt mean anyone actually said it. plus i am guessing you have skipped about 6 odd of my posts where i have called it a "good pass" several times eh? not your fault i can see how you would jump to a completely wrong conclusion based on that

and in top clubs the technical players do play passes like that over the pitch, doesnt make it simple, it just means they are capable of playing good passes on a regular basis. why not just take it for what it says rather than jumping to simple. your interpretation to that bit was a bit off key

if it was simple then everyone everywhere would be doing..something simple means its there accessible for a VERY high percentage of people

Then I am surprised at you because common sense dictates that when you you sign a 21 year old for £30m a large percentage of that fee has to be potential.

most people who gave those reviews probably have never seen him play 90mins before and probably based their reviews on a combination of his goal stats from last season, a few utube clips (we all do that) and the fact that he is a young Argentine.

I refer you to my post above re Gary Lineker. I would also cast your mind back to teh slating Sandro got after his debute. Not everybody can have a dream debute. Mido got 2 league goals on his debute it took Bergkampa hell of a long time to get his first goal, so go figure :)

thats not right about the age. some people pay for what they know they will get and for how long they will get it as opposed to paying for speculation. just cause you buy someone 21 years or younger doesnt mean that you shouldnt expect anything from them. if we bought rooney when he was 20 i am telling you this now...i expected him to tear it up from the get go....same with ronaldo when he was 21.....or messi when he was 21. yes i am using the best of the best which is unfair to lamela but to say the common sense means that we are paying for potential i think is wrong. there are many young players these days that people buy expecting significant impact from the start

the people that slated sandro dont understand football and i said as much on his debut. i thought sandro had an amazing debut for his primary tasks in his position.......its an opinion based sport. who started the whole "sandro. first name on the team sheet" after just a few games?

screw it, i think i have a right to say that based on the hype and reviews and the cost i was expecting more on his debut. I didnt get it, it looks like he may be a bit of a project, i can accept that...but i wont be blowing chunks just because he has cult group that cant take a simple critique that doesnt match theirs

ok, it wasnt sublime, it wasnt simple, it was somewhere in between.......what i will say is that its nice to have a players that can do that in the final third. We now have him, Eriksen and Holtby. I feel its what we have been missing.

so why not just say that in the first place as opposed to using straw man arguments?

african I accept you did not say anything to suggest that you will not give him time, so my bad.

However, I do think your mistake was expecting too much at this time. I would also suggest in the future you should base your opinons more on what you have seen on a player rather on the opinons of others

let me ask you something

how long do we give him?

Both Henry and Bergkamp needed sometime to settle at Arsenal but once they had settled they did not do badly now did they.

And bringing it closer to home do you guys remember when we signed Gary Lineker from Barca? A World class striker, a goal scorer extradnoire. Guess what? He did not score on his league debute? Nor in his second, third or fourth match? When the whistle went at the end of his sixxth match he was still without a goal. I was on his side, I knew he would come good but the mindless hoardes were baying for blood. Next match again he failed to hit the back of the net. So think about it Gary Lineker the golden boy of English football 7 league matches no goals. By this time he was getting slaughtered, but I kept the faith. Next league game he scored, and continued scoring, and eventually won the golden boot that season.

All I am saying is give the boy time, to do otherwise is just stupidity.

Mate no one is complaining - what it is is expectations. People, who may not have seen much of him (including me) had expected him to be this rampaging winger with extreme pace. Now he may well be that type of player - I dont know. When there is a disparity between expectations of what type of player a player is and what type of player that player becomes - then people become disappointed.

In time he may become that rampaging player bursting through defences like Bale but for now he is the player who will play with guile and trickery. This is what people need to realise.

Unfortunately for him people see him as a Bale replacement hence the pressure on him.

Mate no one is complaining - what it is is expectations. People, who may not have seen much of him (including me) had expected him to be this rampaging winger with extreme pace. Now he may well be that type of player - I dont know. When there is a disparity between expectations of what type of player a player is and what type of player that player becomes - then people become disappointed.

In time he may become that rampaging player bursting through defences like Bale but for now he is the player who will play with guile and trickery. This is what people need to realise.

Unfortunately for him people see him as a Bale replacement hence the pressure on him.

where did you get that impression??

I'm with african on this. The way some were raving on about him on here made me think that he was a superstar already, not someone who needed alot of time to develop into a top class player. I have no problem waiting for that to happen, but as I said, the impression I got on here was that he was already brilliant and would take the league with storm.

I got that impression at first aswell, mostly by someone on here (can't remember who) saying that he was the most "like for like" Bale replacement out there.

I think many argued that he was the best choice to replace Bale, myself included. I did, however, state that he wasn't quite the same player. He was a creative player at River Plate, but that changed when he moved to Roma. Greater emphasis was placed on his ability to score goals. Now he has technique, vision and ability to both score and create goals but a carbon copy of Bale, he is not,

I'm with african on this. The way some were raving on about him on here made me think that he was a superstar already, not someone who needed alot of time to develop into a top class player. I have no problem waiting for that to happen, but as I said, the impression I got on here was that he was already brilliant and would take the league with storm.

He has played less than 2 games for us! Give him time, he's a great player but not every player adapts instantly to a new team, new team mates and a new league.

By the end of the season, you'll be happy that we signed him and likely think that he's value for money. If not, feel free to post this and I'll admit that I was wrong.

I think it's more a case of him being at a high level already with the potential to go to the top - it's just that looking for signs after only one full appearence in a Europa League game as to how good he is is a little foolish. He had a good record at Roma and was a key player for them, so he should be at a level now where he will be making himself first choice for us - i think what most are saying is give him a few games before making claims that he doesn't look a 30mil player

Lamela would have looked a hell of a lot better against Tromso if he had had a full back overlapping down the right side, creating space and dragging his 2 markers away.

Naughton hardly even got down the line, like Walker does.

He played fine, he clearly has class, he will probably be exceptional in time.

I think Mumorn was the one saying Lamela is [or would be] Captain Awesome

VERY worried about Lamela.

Here's a small visual aid, which I've annotated to highlight the problem:

The idea in football is to KICK the ball. But as we can see in the above example, Lamela seems to be under the impression that the objective is to position your foot between 8 and 12 inches away from the ball. Now, Lamela looks a world beater at that game judging by the above photo, but at the elite level such as the EPL or EL, this just isn't going to cut it.

So I think on balance it's entirely reasonable to have serious Lamela fears.

Back