• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Being pedantic I wouldn't call either of the goals he conceded against Soton mistakes as such. A mistake is when you fumble an easy shot, parry a save straight to an opponent, fail to reach a cross having come off your line etc.

He was just beaten too easily, plain and simple, the sort of saves you'd expect a top-class keeper to make. So not quite the same thing.

After United's shenanigans tonight we'll most likely end up with the best defensive record in the league. No golden glove as De Gea, Cech, Hart and Schmeichel all have 15 clean sheets to Lloris's 13.

Carrick and Berbatov would have been the big lessons for Levy - although we got money for them their contract situation put them in the position of power

I think he had already learnt his lesson by then. Levy did nothing wrong with Carrick and Berbatov. Both signed on with 4 year contracts. Carrick might have been desperate enough to get away from West Ham and the Championship to agree to some kind of 4+1 or 4+2 deal that Levy likes so much, but Berba was highly rated and followed by top clubs from just about everywhere. I don't think we could have twisted his arm.

4 year signing deal is pretty standard. After two years neither of them were willing to sign again. Not much Levy could have done differently and thus not much of a lesson to learn from that.

I think he had already learnt his lesson by then. Levy did nothing wrong with Carrick and Berbatov. Both signed on with 4 year contracts. Carrick might have been desperate enough to get away from West Ham and the Championship to agree to some kind of 4+1 or 4+2 deal that Levy likes so much, but Berba was highly rated and followed by top clubs from just about everywhere. I don't think we could have twisted his arm.

4 year signing deal is pretty standard. After two years neither of them were willing to sign again. Not much Levy could have done differently and thus not much of a lesson to learn from that.

Was Carrick not in the last year?

I think the lesson learned was to leave ourselves in the position of power, which you could argue we saw with the Bale and Modric deals, we rebuffed offers for Modric when we still had power and organised the Bale deal at a time when we could maximise our return

Was Carrick not in the last year?

I think the lesson learned was to leave ourselves in the position of power, which you could argue we saw with the Bale and Modric deals, we rebuffed offers for Modric when we still had power and organised the Bale deal at a time when we could maximise our return

Carrick was reported as a 4 year contract when he signed (http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/2308723/spurs-sign-carrick) and he left after 2 years.

Modric being willing to sign longer contracts than most players (signed a mammoth deal at Zagreb for example) meant that we were in a stronger position. Probably along with his low-ish initial wages that allowed us to extend by giving him a big pay bump. Similar story with Bale, along with him being younger than Carrick and Berba as well as being a bit of a flop in his first couple of seasons.

I agree about the lesson learnt. I just think Levy already knew by the time Carrick and Berba happened.

Carrick was reported as a 4 year contract when he signed (http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/2308723/spurs-sign-carrick) and he left after 2 years.

Modric being willing to sign longer contracts than most players (signed a mammoth deal at Zagreb for example) meant that we were in a stronger position. Probably along with his low-ish initial wages that allowed us to extend by giving him a big pay bump. Similar story with Bale, along with him being younger than Carrick and Berba as well as being a bit of a flop in his first couple of seasons.

I agree about the lesson learnt. I just think Levy already knew by the time Carrick and Berba happened.
However it does seem as though following Bale's lucrative sale Levy has become even more proactive in constantly upgrading / extending already lengthy contracts. Partly no doubt because he /we just happen to be in the enviable position of having a truly exceptional crop of players whose value just keeps on rising exponentially. But the latest TV deal has to be the biggest factor of all, not just because the club has that much more money coming in but also of course because ipso facto the rest of the PL are better placed to tempt our players away with even bigger offers.

As captain of the host nation heading into a major competition I would be stunned if Hugo's mind was any where else.
Will sign after the euros

However it does seem as though following Bale's lucrative sale Levy has become even more proactive in constantly upgrading / extending already lengthy contracts. Partly no doubt because he /we just happen to be in the enviable position of having a truly exceptional crop of players whose value just keeps on rising exponentially. But the latest TV deal has to be the biggest factor of all, not just because the club has that much more money coming in but also of course because ipso facto the rest of the PL are better placed to tempt our players away with even bigger offers.

I actually don't think he's been much more proactive. He was just as proactive with Modric for example. It's just that we're now in a position of optimism and progress under Pochettino where players actually want to sign on.

Remember he tried to extend Vertonghen's contract back when we were in a shambles, but couldn't get the deal through because Verts was obviously unhappy being long term at a club in that kind of situation. But Levy's motivation and ability in this area has been top class for a very long time.

Or he didn't quite gather it as it arrived by the post

That article just reads like a load of flimflam - it doesn't sound to me like he has been offered anything yet reading that. To me it looks as though the journo has been told that Spurs are keen to open negotiations about a new contract some tiime soon and the paper are trying to fit it around a sensationalist headline.

Back