• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

hugo stays on his line - no goal

Funny, because I wanted him to come out and punch it away at all costs, and to hell with anyone in front of him. :p There seem to be differing schools of thought as to what he should have done about that goal.

For me its a clean jump. He uses his arm to stop Dier getting higher than him, you see it every week from strikers. The fault lies with Hugo. Terrible attempt at a punch, if he is going to punch it knowone should get higher than him. Soft Goal.

Funny, because I wanted him to come out and punch it away at all costs, and to hell with anyone in front of him. :p There seem to be differing schools of thought as to what he should have done about that goal.

It is a tricky one - when to punch, when to stay on the line,

I sit in the north stand, so it is the first time I have actually seen the goal, and he doesn't get any lift or height to put him in a position to punch it.

It is a tricky one - when to punch, when to stay on the line,

I sit in the north stand, so it is the first time I have actually seen the goal, and he doesn't get any lift or height to put him in a position to punch it.

Yeah, I can recognize that it's a difficult decision either way. I used to play as a goalkeeper back in my uni days, so I'm well aware of the risks involved in making a relatively small keeper come out into a melee full of players larger than him or her and already mid-way through their aerial leaps (as opposed to the keeper who has to stay grounded until the last second).

From the telly, though, it seemed to me like there was space ahead of him for a short bound forward and then a clearing leap. Trouble was, he got caught in no man's land, which does sometimes happen.

Ah, well. He's saved enough points for us that I feel we as fans should easily overlook moments like these. In fact, I think a lot of Prem keepers would have struggled to keep out that Rondon shot that led to the corner in the first place; it was hit with such ferocity and at such an angle that I felt it would definitely hit the back of the net.

Edit;

I think the number of mistakes( or so called mistakes) that Lloris has done is small and to say he has cost us a chance of winning the Prem is harsh, and I say that as a fan who ( unlike many) think he is not world class ( as some of our fans think).

This, although I disagree with the idea of him not being world class; he has some physical limitations, sure, but his leadership qualities and off-the-field attributes more than make up for them. And, of course, his distribution, reflexes, first touch/ball skills (I don't recall him panicking once when on the ball this season) and speed off the line are top notch.

This, although I disagree with the idea of him not being world class; he has some physical limitations, sure, but his leadership qualities and off-the-field attributes more than make up for them. And, of course, his distribution, reflexes, first touch/ball skills (I don't recall him panicking once when on the ball this season) and speed off the line are top notch.

Do not get me wrong I rate him as the third best I have seen in a Spurs shirt, but he ( like most keepers) has a couple of weak points and for me that stops him from being world class ( a word that is thrown around to often imo).

I think the number of mistakes( or so called mistakes) that Lloris has done is small and to say he has cost us a chance of winning the Prem is harsh, and I say that as a fan who ( unlike many) think he is not world class ( as some of our fans think).

Agreed although it does feed back into our discussion earlier in the thread as to why he isn't quite as great as some would say. This sort of goal being an example. Both Saudi Sportswashing Machine ones at home he was pretty poor for, The Arsenal equaliser is questionable too as was West Ham's winner. He cannot be blamed for us not winning the league, its a collective failing if you want to call it that but it does highlight that on occasion, Lloris does lack good judgement.

Do not get me wrong I rate him as the third best I have seen in a Spurs shirt, but he ( like most keepers) has a couple of weak points and for me that stops him from being world class ( a word that is thrown around to often imo).

Fair enough, it's just a question of what defines 'world class'. Personally, he's the best I've seen in a Spurs shirt, although really I've only got a limited number of keepers to choose from in that department (Keller, Robbo, Gomes, Cudicini, Friedel). He hasn't given the best *individual* performance I've ever seen (that honour falls to Gomes in the 2-1 win against the Goons in 09/10), but he's been the most consistent over three years, and I am still (and will always be) amazed and thankful that we ever managed to get him in the first place.

Agreed although it does feed back into our discussion earlier in the thread as to why he isn't quite as great as some would say. This sort of goal being an example. Both Saudi Sportswashing Machine ones at home he was pretty poor for, The Arsenal equaliser is questionable too as was West Ham's winner. He cannot be blamed for us not winning the league, its a collective failing if you want to call it that but it does highlight that on occasion, Lloris does lack good judgement.

Well I think a lot of fans are biased about their own players so that may be the reason ( one of them anyway), I try ( as hard as it can be sometimes) to judge all players on what I see and how they perform and for me Lloris ( who I do consider to be a very good keeper) has a couple of faults which are in his game, now I except that all players make mistakes but he seems to make the same ones on several occasions.

Fair enough, it's just a question of what defines 'world class'. Personally, he's the best I've seen in a Spurs shirt, although really I've only got a limited number of keepers to choose from in that department (Keller, Robbo, Gomes, Cudicini, Friedel). He hasn't given the best *individual* performance I've ever seen (that honour falls to Gomes in the 2-1 win against the Goons in 09/10), but he's been the most consistent over three years, and I am still (and will always be) amazed and thankful that we ever managed to get him in the first place.

Well being older then you :oops: I was lucky enough to have seen both Pat and Clemence and ( imo) they were better. But I do agree we were lucky to get him and I would say that the goalkeeping position is one of the last things we should be worried about.

Well I think a lot of fans are biased about their own players so that may be the reason ( one of them anyway), I try ( as hard as it can be sometimes) to judge all players on what I see and how they perform and for me Lloris ( who I do consider to be a very good keeper) has a couple of faults which are in his game, now I except that all players make mistakes but he seems to make the same ones on several occasions.

Fully agree with that as well.

He couldnt clear rge ball as when he came he was blocked by their right back/come winger Sessengnon

And he is the best keeper I've seen in a spurs shirt and I go back as far as Clemence - who IMO wouldn't do well in the modern premier league as he was very static and typical of that generation. I've seen Pat play on TV and he was one of a few who came for the ball with his massive shovel hands

People used to rave about Shilton but did wager that I could score 5 out of 5 one SUVs him a she didn't move or anticipate anything. He was a lump

He couldnt clear rge ball as when he came he was blocked by their right back/come winger Sessengnon

And he is the best keeper I've seen in a spurs shirt and I go back as far as Clemence - who IMO wouldn't do well in the modern premier league as he was very static and typical of that generation. I've seen Pat play on TV and he was one of a few who came for the ball with his massive shovel hands

People used to rave about Shilton but did wager that I could score 5 out of 5 one SUVs him a she didn't move or anticipate anything. He was a lump

The way the game is refereed, all he had to do was come out throw himself at Sessengnon, that's an instant FK to Lloris, even if he'd managed to elbow the WBA player in the jaw and kick him in the balls, sometimes you have to play the system.

Shilton was a class act, a better keeper than any in the game today, don't judge him on his later years, find some footage from Stoke and Forest, one on ones were his speciality, I'd say only Southall was better at those, Schmeichel is in the conversation though.

if he comes flying out

The way the game is refereed, all he had to do was come out throw himself at Sessengnon, that's an instant FK to Lloris, even if he'd managed to elbow the WBA player in the jaw and kick him in the balls, sometimes you have to play the system.

Shilton was a class act, a better keeper than any in the game today, don't judge him on his later years, find some footage from Stoke and Forest, one on ones were his speciality, I'd say only Southall was better at those, Schmeichel is in the conversation though.

I saw him play for Forrest and England (not Stoke) and I've never seen such a highly regarded keeper move so little

Watching him on penalty shoot outs was so predictable. Wait until the payer has kicked and then dive in the general direction hoping for a miracle

And your right hugo could have done that and gone down but he had committed himself to come for the ball nd probably thought he could still get it IMO

I saw him play for Forrest and England (not Stoke) and I've never seen such a highly regarded keeper move so little

Watching him on penalty shoot outs was so predictable. Wait until the payer has kicked and then dive in the general direction hoping for a miracle

And your right hugo could have done that and gone down but he had committed himself to come for the ball nd probably thought he could still get it IMO

You don't need to move when you stand in the right place to start with.

You can't judge a keeper on penalty shootouts, the ball is 12 yards away, stationary and uncontested, I don't understand how a single penalty has ever been missed, everything is to the takers advantage.

Hugo should have got it, keepers are not only allowed to use their hands, their are also allowed to assault people.

Back